Tiny

Re: Cheno/Tiny

Yes, I agree with you.. but don't you think if we use at least one other big in the post with Tiny, it would free him up just a little?

When I say Jahbari and Ace, do you remember those guys? Not intended as a flame at all but just not sure how long you have been following OU basketball.

Anyway, Ace McGee played VERY similarly to Tiny [probably a little more proficient on the outside] and Jahbari was a guy that came in in the second semester and freed up Ace from being down low all of the time [and trust me, fans ripped Ace's ability down there too]. Long story short, crushed eventual national champions Maryland like the second game Jahbari played, won the conference and made the final four.

I'm with you, fans either need to be patient to allow Tiny to develop into a low-post player OR they need to be banging on the drums to let him get outside a little more often [which is what he did before]. Tiny hasn't changed [except losing a bagillion pounds] what he is being asked to do has.

Wow we are a bit testy huh?..(smile it can only help).. What you and I think is not worth 2 cents when its all said and done.. I think Tiny is good,You don't ,now thats the end of that..!

No, it's part of a facade and more importantly a game which is reminiscent of the Energizer Bunny. If you don't feed the monster the monster gets angry and grouchy if I can speak, "frank"-ly.

:woot

Thank you, I am having so much fun!..:woot.. Where did the world class statement come from?.. I didnt ask that.

Are you sure about that? Seems you asked "what happened to Tiny's game," and this question which you posed is comparing his high school playing days with the current environment. If you want to cast off this belief that the intensity and style of defense played at the college level has not had a bearing on his game today as measured against his days at Oak Hill Academy then you are grasping at straws or playing the game according to plan. Both would be an acceptable explanation.

If I am not mistaken, Tiny has played against Division 1 basketball players at Oakhill, a lot of whom we see now.. Name me a game where the Post players dominated Tiny that supports this statement?

Are you seriously comparing his HS performance to the Big 12 because he played against other future D-1 players? Really?

I don't care how talented the players/teams he went against in HS were... there is a MASSIVE difference between that and the Big 12.

For once I'm glad that Jeff showed up after a crappy loss; reminded me of a guy I could see Tiny being a step above, Mario Boggans.

I'm not even sure what this means exactly.

Mario Boggan was an All Big 12-calibur post man. Tiny may be that some day, but he certainly isn't now.

I'm not even sure what this means exactly.

Mario Boggan was an All Big 12-calibur post man. Tiny may be that some day, but he certainly isn't now.

Thus, why I said COULD .

Nice reading comprehension.

The modern day HS basketball factories haven't taught good fundamentals to the players.

I used to go shoot balls at Putnam City HS every sunday during the season back in the early 70s. Coach Koch had a tall clumsy kid in there he worked with every sunday. He brought in my buddies brother, a former PC center who played at OCU, to work with the kid. The kid worked his ass off and became a damn good post player. The kid went to OU and became a force at center and was drafted #4 in the draft. The kid ended up being the Rookie of the Year in 76. Kareem said he was one of the toughest guys he ever went against.

The kid's name was Alvin Adams. In 6 years of busting his butt and working on fundamentals he went from a clumsy kids to NBA ROY.

All this utube garbage does to some of these kids is make them think they don't have to work hard on the fundamentals. They think because they have a video up on utube that they are NBA bound and they'll be cashing big checks real soon.

I'm glad Alvin didn't think that way.

To this point it seems that Tiny has done everything he was asked to do...am I wrong in that? He flaked on a practice, and that is a bad deal, but other than that, it seems like he is putting in the work.

Are you sure about that? Seems you asked "what happened to Tiny's game," and this question which you posed is comparing his high school playing days with the current environment. If you want to cast off this belief that the intensity and style of defense played at the college level has not had a bearing on his game today as measured against his days at Oak Hill Academy then you are grasping at straws or playing the game according to plan. Both would be an acceptable explanation.

Okay, please forgive me if I wasn't clear in the beginning. My intent wasn't to compare his highschool days to the current environment(college level), I know there's a difference in the two. The video was intended to compare his body lanuage then to his body lanuage now. There is a difference and it shows in his over all game.... (Still enjoying the dialog...) :woot Thank you!

The problen with Keith is that he doesn't have any knowledge of how to be a post player and he's scared to play as a post player. He's always been a guard and well his skill set isn't fit to play guard in college.

The difference is not in Tiny, it's his competition. When Tiny was at Oak Hill he was the older experience player, but not here at OU! In an ideal situation Tiny should be the 1st post player off the bench. Not all freshmen are ready for 30 min. a game, even if they are talented at scoring! Especially post player, they usually take longer to adapt to the D1 game compared to guards.

I guess my take would be that things came much easier at Oak Hill than at OU and Tiny has struggled a bit with the response. That happens to most freshmen. The key will be how he handles the next month. That will tell a lot about his future in basketball.
I'm guessing he responds nicely!

I have a feeling all you guys that are taking shots at Tiny now will have to eat your words in a few years.

Here is my take on the situation. Tiny needs to adjust his attitude a little, which I think he will. Most kids that have been all world as high school seniors finally figure out that they must man up to compete at the next level. Very few walk in at day 1 and are NBA ready. Most figure this out and go to work.

College ball and hs ball are two different beasts. Tiny is figuring out how to play this game at this level. He is only going to get better. He will learn more than just his patented one post move ie spin and chunk. He will learn more about entry angles that are to his advantage when he sets up in the post. He will also learn to adjust to the double teams that he rarely faced in college. He will get better in the decision making process pass out or shoot before the double team gets to you. The thing I like about Tiny is that he has nice hands and is pretty quick for his size.

Anytime you Sooners want to get rid of Tiny I hope you let OSU know first. I would take him in a heartbeat. Ease up on the kid. He will learn to quit fouling so much and his O will become unstoppable before he leaves OU. You guys have got to realize that he is a Frosh and will mature on the court and hopefully in the way he approaches the game.

I'm sure he will get better but people saying he'll go pro after this year and be a 2nd round guy like I've read in places are dillusional. The guy has a long ways to improve to be anywhere near pro ball. And he may do that. Right now he needs to change a lot to be a college level post player. His size makes it easy for him to do some things but he people praising him for what he's doing right now aren't actually watching him play.

I have a feeling all you guys that are taking shots at Tiny now will have to eat your words in a few years.

Here is my take on the situation. Tiny needs to adjust his attitude a little, which I think he will. Most kids that have been all world as high school seniors finally figure out that they must man up to compete at the next level. Very few walk in at day 1 and are NBA ready. Most figure this out and go to work.

College ball and hs ball are two different beasts. Tiny is figuring out how to play this game at this level. He is only going to get better. He will learn more than just his patented one post move ie spin and chunk. He will learn more about entry angles that are to his advantage when he sets up in the post. He will also learn to adjust to the double teams that he rarely faced in college. He will get better in the decision making process pass out or shoot before the double team gets to you. The thing I like about Tiny is that he has nice hands and is pretty quick for his size.

Anytime you Sooners want to get rid of Tiny I hope you let OSU know first. I would take him in a heartbeat. Ease up on the kid. He will learn to quit fouling so much and his O will become unstoppable before he leaves OU. You guys have got to realize that he is a Frosh and will mature on the court and hopefully in the way he approaches the game.
:ez-roll::ez-roll::ez-roll::ez-roll::ez-roll::ez-roll::ez-roll::ez-roll:

I'm sure he will get better but people saying he'll go pro after this year and be a 2nd round guy like I've read in places are dillusional. The guy has a long ways to improve to be anywhere near pro ball. And he may do that. Right now he needs to change a lot to be a college level post player. His size makes it easy for him to do some things but he people praising him for what he's doing right now aren't actually watching him play.

I agree. There is no way that he is a pro after this year. I also agree that he needs much improvement. The thing is that he has the ability and intangibles size, hands, and quickness to be a special player. It is mostly up to him because the potentiol is there.

The same people bashing this kid now will be the same ones saying they knew he could do it when he plays better. Trust me. He will improve. Right now he has to learn that aau is over. Post up and be strong. Then get your money from the outside after the effort has been put up. Go ahead and give up on Tiny. I won't. Kid has a talent that needs to be developed. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Okay, please forgive me if I wasn't clear in the beginning. My intent wasn't to compare his highschool days to the current environment(college level), I know there's a difference in the two. The video was intended to compare his body lanuage then to his body lanuage now. There is a difference and it shows in his over all game.... (Still enjoying the dialog...) :woot Thank you!

Tiny Gallon went from being the strongest guy on the court to probably one of the weaker post players out there. He's not very strong physically. A year of maturing will get him there. He also doesn't know how to play the post position to the ultimate as highlighted by NickZepp. He doesn't know how to hold off his defender, he's not very active, and he is too slow in making his move when he gets the ball. As a post player it should be a maximum of one dribble, your move, and your shot. If he seals before the pass, it goes from a three combo, to just going up with the shot. Thirdly, he is usually a play behind defensively. He steps up on the drive too late, he doesn't get his feet in position which causes him to make dumb fouls, and the physicality of the game is getting to him. Too sum it up, he has to let his work ethic surpass his talent level. He's an extremely talented kid.

Nice post earl. Appreciate the insight from another team's fan.

LOL, takes a dang Poke to get some logic on this situation, hahah. Thanks Earl.

Very good insight Earl. You may be a fan of another team, but the embarassing thing is thay you have more supportive things to say then some of these so-called Sooner fans on this board. Post more often. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

Back