Update on Orlando Allen

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Got word that he started working out hard the week (more like the day) after the team got back from Memphis. He is down to 261 pounds (remember that he weighed close to 300 when he arrived at Oklahoma), which is the best shape that he has been in in years. Keep it up, Big O! :clap

I really want this kid to succeed. I hope the new S&C coach has him doing the tennis ball drill that helped LL out with is hands (Wright needs this as well).

If Allen could come into the season at 250, it would be remarkable. We would really get to see what kind of talent he has, when he is not burdened by his weight and conditioning.

Not to stir a hornet's nest with a broomstick, but who's working with him?

If Allen could come into the season at 250, it would be remarkable. We would really get to see what kind of talent he has, when he is not burdened by his weight and conditioning.

I wouldn't put it past him. The guy works really hard.

I'm glad he's losing weight. I hope he works on agility and footwork stuff. If his defensive footwork gets better, he'll get more minute. I think offensively he's a force, especially playing with WW. I like the fact that he can get to the rim quick. I don't think it's out of the realm that he can make a jump like Longar. If you look at the jump Stacy King made from his sophomore to junior year, it might be the best jump in NCAA history.

i hope Patillo gets in on those tennis ball drills as well!

but good for O to get himself in order. i think Blake's work ethic has become more and more evident to these guys. just as BigTime's signature says, "part of being successful starts with falling in love with the process", the process is getting in ridiculous shape and working on your game in the offseason. even the day after the season.

but good for O to get himself in order. i think Blake's work ethic has become more and more evident to these guys. just as BigTime's signature says, "part of being successful starts with falling in love with the process", the process is getting in ridiculous shape and working on your game in the offseason. even the day after the season.

Great point regarding Blake. You are right in that guys like Orlando took notice to what the hard work can do.

Bigtime,

Do you think Orlando will be good enough to start next to Gallon next year?

Bigtime,

Do you think Orlando will be good enough to start next to Gallon next year?

I don't think its a good fit (especially defensively). If either were quick enough to stay with PFs on the defensive ends then maybe it could work. I think that gives Wright the advantage to start alongside Tiny (if Capel decides to go big and have Juan come off the bench).

Offensively, I think it could work. Tiny would play the high post and O would be down low.

The thing that we all have to remember about Tiny is that he will require a lot more rest than Blake ever did, so Orlando is going to have a huge opportunity to get some minutes if he can progress this offseason.

The biggest thing that will be missed is how good Blake's hands are and Taylor for that fact. Blake would catch things thrown at his ankles and would catch anything up to 11ft off the ground. Add to that the fact that WW relys on the bailout pass and often throws the short 3 to 5 ft pass that comes quick, fast, and hard. With him penitrating more, Allen and Patillo are going to get there dose. I like Patillo being thrown stuff high and towards the rim so it gives him one way to go and less work that he'll have to do. Allen needs to catch and go up when he gets it. If these guys don't do that, you'll have WW thrown out of his game with frustration and these guys not getting into the flow from being pulled out of games.

The biggest thing that will be missed is how good Blake's hands are and Taylor for that fact. Blake would catch things thrown at his ankles and would catch anything up to 11ft off the ground. Add to that the fact that WW relys on the bailout pass and often throws the short 3 to 5 ft pass that comes quick, fast, and hard. With him penitrating more, Allen and Patillo are going to get there dose. I like Patillo being thrown stuff high and towards the rim so it gives him one way to go and less work that he'll have to do. Allen needs to catch and go up when he gets it. If these guys don't do that, you'll have WW thrown out of his game with frustration and these guys not getting into the flow from being pulled out of games.

The good news is that Tiny has excellent hands.

I don't think its a good fit (especially defensively). If either were quick enough to stay with PFs on the defensive ends then maybe it could work. I think that gives Wright the advantage to start alongside Tiny (if Capel decides to go big and have Juan come off the bench).

Offensively, I think it could work. Tiny would play the high post and O would be down low.

Wright over Orlando even though Orlando passed him in the rotation last year?

Wright over Orlando even though Orlando passed him in the rotation last year?

Just because of match-ups. For the record, I think that Pattillo starts over both of them at this point.

I guess we could play zone with Big O and Gallon in there together, but I just think a guy like Gary Johnson, Good Morris twin, Marshall Moses, or Wallace Judge would have a field day if either Tiny or O was on them in the open court. I hope that I am wrong.

good point dirty, we probably all took blake for granted as the human vacuum cleaner where he'd gobble-up even the worst of passes (there were a lot of them). I still dont think WW has shown a deft passing touch to routinely set up guys like Patillo, Wright, O, others, who in all honesty are liabilities with their mitts.

good point dirty, we probably all took blake for granted as the human vacuum cleaner where he'd gobble-up even the worst of passes (there were a lot of them). I still dont think WW has shown a deft passing touch to routinely set up guys like Patillo, Wright, O, others, who in all honesty are liabilities with their mitts.

Hopefully TMG will be able to put the ball on the money to those guys. It will certainly give WW the practice he needs to perfect his passing skills! :D

WW passes are bad. You don't have to beat around the bush. Blake bailed him out so much this year. Throughout this next year, his passes will get better, but he'll continue to make more bailout plays because he's going to be driving to the bucket atleast 10 times a game.

Just because of match-ups. For the record, I think that Pattillo starts over both of them at this point.

I guess we could play zone with Big O and Gallon in there together, but I just think a guy like Gary Johnson, Good Morris twin, Marshall Moses, or Wallace Judge would have a field day if either Tiny or O was on them in the open court. I hope that I am wrong.

I agree with you one hundred percent. Wright and Patillo are going to draw those matchups. The one thing about UT is there's going to be a need for someone to bang with Pittman. Against OSU, we might see a lineup with Patillo as the five. I think matchups, more specifically defensive matchups is where Hardrick might carve out some PT.

Back