Updates from cgates on DFW HS basketball

usedtobe1

Administrator
Reaction score
One of the better OU basketball fans on the Sooner Scoop board is cgates. He goes and watches a lot of the DFW prospects. He gave me permission to copy and paste his posts. I recently posted one where he went to a DeSoto game and sat near Marques Bolden's parents and trainer. Some of the members over there wanted him to let them know where he is going next because they may try to join him.

Here's a great playoff venue on Friday night. Bolden's DeSoto team is playing again along with some other D1 prospects in a double-header.
Some of you have asked me about games to attend around the Ft Worth area and this Friday is must see high school hoops.

It will be the class 5A regional semifinals and all 4 teams are loaded. The games will take place at Wilkerson-Greines in Fort Worth. The first game will feature Desoto led by OU target Marques Bolden vs Lubbock Coronado which beat a North Crowley team I loved. The second game will feature South Grand Prairie which has 2 D1 big guys and Bryce Cook who is as dynamic a point I have seen as a freshman vs Arlington Martin who upset an undefeated Amarillo team. The first game is at 6 and this will be the best $10 you spend this week.

I'll be there and would love to meet any scooper who show up, so let me know. The winners play each other Saturday for a trip to state, but I'll be at the OU vs TCU hoops game :(

Here's a note from a game he watched last weekend:
I decided to go to the Crowley vs Denton match up in the second round of region playoffs because it on paper is a good match up of up tempo teams. I also picked this game because I know OU is very involved with Denton Sophomore Tyrus Johnson.

Tyrus is 6"3 and is a boy in a man's body. I love his ability to get to the basket and create for others. Defensively he has a ways to go, but that can be said for all. He definitely fits the type of player Kruger loves and he would be a great get. I talked with his family before the game and they immediately commented on my OU shirt. I can tell you guys that OU has been involved for awhile and it shows by the way they talk about our program.

Of you need something to do on Friday or Tuesday nights. Check out a playoff game. They are intense and all teams have talent at this point.

Here's the post where he watched Bolden:
Earlier in the week I mentioned I was going to watch Bolden and his Desoto team play a very good South Grand Prairie team. I watched the game with Boldens trainer and sat with his family. Here is what I know after a fun evening where Desoto got upset.

1. Bolden is the real deal and will make the team he choses a much better team.

2. UK leads here, but this one isn't over. They had great things to say about OU and was told several times that having Marques play close to home is important.

3. Any one who says he is being led by a street agent or looking for a deal is speaking out of their A$$. Great kid, great family and his trainer is a top notch guy.

Now for the big surprise...keep this name in your memory.

BRYCE COOK

he is a freshman on SGP and handles the ball like a pro. He has unlimited range and plays D. I talked with his summer coach and found out he is currently ranked 12th in his class. A couple tidbits about him

1. His favorite college player is one Mr. Buddy Hield

2. Has had some contact with OU

3. Also likes the pokes, but is wide open.

I go to tons of high school games here in Texas. If there is interest here, I will happily pass on OU related info I hear.

I checked again with cgates to make sure it is OK to copy and post his posts. I also asked him to check if OU is still anywhere in Bolden's consideration:
Thanks cgates! I look forward to hearing your recap. Also, you had given me permission to copy your posts over on the OU Hoops board, so I copied your post again and re-posted it over there,.... giving you full credit.

If you can get any insight, I would be curious if Marques is even remotely considering OU any longer. It's close to home and he could get all the playing time he can handle as a true freshman. Even if not, I wish him the best of luck for even considering OU in the first place.

I live in Houston, but if I was in DFW, I would join you on Friday. Sounds like 2 great games. Enjoy.

Here was his answer:
You don't have ask me brother, please feel to share. I will talk with his Trainer and see what he is willing to share.

Back