verticality

soonerprices

Reaction score
last night in a basketball game I felt like my player had a good boxout and that an over-the-back call should have been made. When i said something to the ref he said, "nope coach the player had verticality" . I gave the ref a hard time later for making the word up and we both laughed. I just looked up the word and it is the noun form of verticle. just thought I would share.

BTW, i didn't get a chance to toss any fans last night.

last night in a basketball game I felt like my player had a good boxout and that an over-the-back call should have been made. When i said something to the ref he said, "nope coach the player had verticality" . I gave the ref a hard time later for making the word up and we both laughed. I just looked up the word and it is the noun form of verticle. just thought I would share.

BTW, i didn't get a chance to toss any fans last night.

Toss a fan? Toss a fan? Who were you playing, Presbyterian?

As a former high school official for a number of years, I can confirm that the "Rule of Verticality" is in the officials handbook. It usually applies to a defensive player who has established a legal guarding position. He must have both feet on the floor and his hands and arms extended vertically above his head and shoulders. If the defensive player's body is vertical, but he extends his arms or hands in front of him and makes contact with the offensive player during a shot attempt, he is guilty of a foul.

I said all of that to say that it is very difficult for a player who does not have inside position to remain vertical during a rebounding attempt, when he is being blocked out by an opponent. I'm not saying it's not possible, because good athletes with a size advantage and/or good hops are definitely capable of snagging a board without fouling someone who has inside position.

As a former high school official for a number of years, I can confirm that the "Rule of Verticality" is in the officials handbook. It usually applies to a defensive player who has established a legal guarding position. He must have both feet on the floor and his hands and arms extended vertically above his head and shoulders. If the defensive player's body is vertical, but he extends his arms or hands in front of him and makes contact with the offensive player during a shot attempt, he is guilty of a foul.

I said all of that to say that it is very difficult for a player who does not have inside position to remain vertical during a rebounding attempt, when he is being blocked out by an opponent. I'm not saying it's not possible, because good athletes with a size advantage and/or good hops are definitely capable of snagging a board without fouling someone who has inside position.

Is this rule still applicable if the man with position has made contact (box out) with the verticle player?

Is this rule still applicable if the man with position has made contact (box out) with the verticle player?

It's tough to say for sure without being able to see what took place before and during the rebounding attempt. But, in most cases, the man with inside position has the advantage, even if he makes contact. That is, unless he gains an unfair advantage by continuing to back into the opponent.

EDIT: This applies to the action during a rebound. The advantage usually goes to the offensive player on a shot attempt.

Can the player on defense of a shot jump straight up extend arms and still retain verticality?

Can the player on defense of a shot jump straight up extend arms and still retain verticality?

No. When the defensive player extends his arms or hands, he is no longer vertical. Most players (coaches and fans, too, for that matter) don't really understand that verticality means the entire body must be straight up to avoid a foul.

That doesn't mean it's not possible to maintain a vertical position when jumping to defend a shot, though.

No. When the defensive player extends his arms or hands, he is no longer vertical. Most players (coaches and fans, too, for that matter) don't really understand that verticality means the entire body must be straight up to avoid a foul.

That doesn't mean it's not possible to maintain a vertical position when jumping to defend a shot, though.

I thought if the defender had his arms straight up that was part of his space of verticality. Not true?

I thought if the defender had his arms straight up that was part of his space of verticality. Not true?

I think when ada says "Extend" he means outward. Extension upwards seems to be in line with verticality. But, I'm no referee.

Yes, that is true. But I thought 1baby was asking if the player could jump straight up, extend his arms and still retain verticality. Maybe I misunderstood the question.

If the arms are straight up, he is in a vertical position, providing he had established a legal guarding position before he jumped into the air. However, if he extends his arms and/or his hands out in front of him, even a little bit, he should be called for a foul if he makes contact with the offensive player during a shot attempt.

Yes, that is true. But I thought 1baby was asking if the player could jump straight up, extend his arms and still retain verticality. Maybe I misunderstood the question.

If the arms are straight up, he is in a vertical position, providing he had established a legal guarding position before he jumped into the air. However, if he extends his arms and/or his hands out in front of him, even a little bit, he should be called for a foul if he makes contact with the offensive player during a shot attempt.
Okay, that's what I thought. Thanks!

Do officials keep the Officials Handbook next to the Bible?

Do officials keep the Officials Handbook next to the Bible?

:ez-roll:

I hope not. I have no idea where my old handbook is now. It's probably in a box or drawer somewhere with my whistle and striped shirts that don't fit anymore. lol

when I played we were taught if we had inside postion, we should jump backward as well as upward, and the guy behind us would always get called for the foul if he there was contact. it worked most of the time too, as it looked like the guy behind was on our back.

When does blocking out become that "unfair advantage" for the player with inside position?

I had a teammate get a foul called once for what looked like a textbook blockout, and he was giving up about a foot in height. The guy jumped trying to go over the top for the ball and they said our guy undercut him, except they were already in contact before he jumped. :confused:

When does blocking out become that "unfair advantage" for the player with inside position?

I had a teammate get a foul called once for what looked like a textbook blockout, and he was giving up about a foot in height. The guy jumped trying to go over the top for the ball and they said our guy undercut him, except they were already in contact before he jumped. :confused:

Sounds as if your teammate wasn't making a play on the ball, which will be whistled a majority of the time. The official is going to assess what is happening, if your opponent is jumping for the ball on a rebound, probably means the block is coming late or your teammate is not concerned about the ball either. Now if the ball is considerably in front of your teammate and the opposing player has no real shot of getting the ball and jumps onto your teammate, then the foul should probably be on the opponent.

That's a purely situational play, as are most in basketball. These conversations are tough without video because you can't piece together a sequence; which is probably the most important aspect of any official, being able to see the play develop and having the basketball IQ to understand what is taking place during that sequence.

I should have said straight up. Sorry.

Back