Warren ranked top shooting guard >>> The Sporting News

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice props for Willie in The Sporting News:

Source

Sporting News' Mike DeCourcy ranks the best players at each position heading into the 2009-2010 season.

1. Willie Warren, Oklahoma. When superstar forward Blake Griffin was hurt, Warren responded by averaging 25.0 points over two games. Griffin is gone now, so don't be surprised if Division I's most dynamic scorer puts up a full season of those numbers.

Warren says: "I'm not a true point guard, but I think I'll be a player who can play the point guard position. I'll be able to find players open when people come to try to trap me. Scoring … that's what gets their attention the best, what I do the best."

2. Greivis Vasquez, Maryland. For a guy who doesn't make many 3s, he has tried a lot of them — because the Terps have needed somebody to try something. They should be more complete this season, allowing Vasquez to be more judicious.

3. Jerome Dyson, Connecticut. After Dyson blew out his knee last season, North Carolina had no serious challengers for the 2009 title. If he's healthy and fit, Dyson should help keep UConn near the front of the Big East pack.

4. Malcolm Lee, UCLA. It's not clear whether Lee is a point guard, shooting guard or small forward, but it's obvious the Bruins need him to be great to maintain their stature.

5. Terrico White, Mississippi. After shifting to point guard, he became a dominant player. As last season's injured Rebels return, do they have to fit around him?

6. Avery Bradley, Texas. He could excel at either backcourt spot.

7. Scottie Reynolds, Villanova. He is on pace to challenge the 2,200-point mark.

8. Isaiah Thomas, Washington. Penetration led to 207 free throws as a freshman last season.

9. Tyshawn Taylor, Kansas. He led USA Basketball's U-19 team in scoring even though he filled a complementary role.

10. Talor Battle, Penn State. He averaged 37.4 minutes as a sophomore last season.

He is going to have a monster year. :willie922_jpg_xs:

Where the hell is Cory Higgins on that list? I watch Higgins a lot so I know he is really good, and he has been training and working with the Charlotte Bobcats all offseason (his dad is the GM there) and should come back this year even better as a junior.

I think he is going to have a 40 point game this year. It is just going to be one of those games where he is on fire from deep, and he is getting a lot of easy fast break buckets. :D

That is one goofy list. Warren deserves to be #1. Vasquez, Reynolds and Battle are all PGs in my book.

Higgins, James Anderson, Manny Harris, Evan Turner and Lace Dunn should all be on that list. He probably classifies Anderson and Turner as SF.

I'm sure Avery Bradley is very talented. He might be a one and done. Is he going to be a top 10 shooting guard in the NCAA next year? I doubt it. That doesn't make him a lesser NBA prospect. The NBA will value his potential very high just like Willie Warren. But lesser NBA prospects who are juniors and seniors are better all around college players in my book than a freshman who has rough edges to smooth out.

Look at the last three national champions- UNC, Kansas, Florida. How many true freshmen did they start?

That is one goofy list. Warren deserves to be #1. Vasquez, Reynolds and Battle are all PGs in my book.

Higgins, James Anderson, Manny Harris, Evan Turner and Lace Dunn should all be on that list. He probably classifies Anderson and Turner as SF.

I'm sure Avery Bradley is very talented. He might be a one and done. Is he going to be a top 10 shooting guard in the NCAA next year? I doubt it. That doesn't make him a lesser NBA prospect. The NBA will value his potential very high just like Willie Warren. But lesser NBA prospects who are juniors and seniors are better all around college players in my book than a freshman who has rough edges to smooth out.

Look at the last three national champions- UNC, Kansas, Florida. How many true freshmen did they start?

You've got to quit carrying this Lace Dunn line. He's a good player, but his liabilities keep him from being elite. Also, he has the green light all the time. He should have good numbers. Kid takes some of the worst shots available. if it weren't for Jerrells that statement would have been noticed more. Fact is I'll take Ty Taylor, Bradley, and even Clemente over Dunn.

You've got to quit carrying this Lace Dunn line. He's a good player, but his liabilities keep him from being elite. Also, he has the green light all the time. He should have good numbers. Kid takes some of the worst shots available. if it weren't for Jerrells that statement would have been noticed more. Fact is I'll take Ty Taylor, Bradley, and even Clemente over Dunn.

Dunn was 44% from the field; 39% from 3pt and 82% FT.

By comparison, some of the "elite" guards in the big 12:

Warren- 47% FG; 37% 3pt; 78% FT
Taylor- 51% FG; 36% 3pt; 72% FT
Clemente- 41% FG; 37% 3pt; 80% FT
Higgins- 47% FG; 36% 3pt; 83% FT
Anderson- 48% FG; 40% 3pt; 83% FT

Point being, the way it worked out statistically after all is said and done is not too different from the other guards in the league that were the top perimeter scoring options for their teams.

Dunn was 44% from the field; 39% from 3pt and 82% FT.

By comparison, some of the "elite" guards in the big 12:

Warren- 47% FG; 37% 3pt; 78% FT
Taylor- 51% FG; 36% 3pt; 72% FT
Clemente- 41% FG; 37% 3pt; 80% FT
Higgins- 47% FG; 36% 3pt; 83% FT
Anderson- 48% FG; 40% 3pt; 83% FT

Point being, the way it worked out statistically after all is said and done is not too different from the other guards in the league that were the top perimeter scoring options for their teams.
Complete with Matador defense
matador.jpg

Back