Warren to pursue NBA dreams >>> SoonerSports.com

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040810aab.html

Warren to Pursue NBA Dreams

Sophomore will forego final two years of eligibility and make himself eligible for June's draft.

NORMAN, Okla. - University of Oklahoma sophomore guard Willie Warren has announced he will forego his final two seasons at OU and make himself eligible for the NBA Draft.

"This was a stressful decision and one that I've been stuck in the middle on for a little while," said Warren, a second-team All-Big 12 pick as a freshman and an honorable mention selection this season. "I didn't like how things went this year with my injury and everything, but I also feel like I have the skills to take the next step. Some of the things I need to work on like being a better leader and being more vocal are things I can do at the next level.

"I talked to my mom extensively the last few weeks and I feel like the best move for me is to make the jump. Coach (Jeff) Capel is in my corner and said he'll help me out as much as he can."

Warren averaged a team-high 16.3 points per game this season to go along with 3.3 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 1.0 steal. He missed 10 games on the year, including eight due to an ankle injury and another due to illness. He underwent season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his right ankle March 3.

"I'm very happy for Willie and definitely think he's ready for the next level," said Capel. "I appreciate everything he's done for our program and look forward to watching another Sooner in the NBA."

As a sophomore, Warren scored at least 24 points six times in the season's first 11 games. He flourished at getting to the free throw line, attempting 36 more foul shots on the year than the next closest teammate despite missing 10 games.

In 2008-09, the consensus first-team freshman All-American averaged 14.6 points and 3.1 assists per contest while shooting .473 from the field and .372 from 3-point distance for a 30-6 Oklahoma team that advanced to the NCAA Tournament's Elite Eight. The seven-time Big 12 Rookie of the Week set OU freshman records for games started (34) and 3-pointers (67), and finished the year ranked third in school freshman history in points (525), fifth in assists (113) and fifth in steals (41). He was also named national freshman of the year by Athlon Sports.

"My freshman year I feel like I made some big contributions and I was somewhat satisfied," said Warren. "I feel like I could have scored more, but I understood the makeup of our team and it was a great feeling to make it all the way to the Elite Eight. My sophomore year was up and down and tough on all of us. It was a rollercoaster ride, especially for me with my ankle injury and being sick.

"But if I had to make my decision all over again, I would make the same one to attend OU. It was the best experience of my life and I want to thank all the Sooner fans who were behind me. My ankle is doing great and now it's time to take the next step."

Warren said he has not signed with an agent but expects to soon.

Back