Wayman Tisdale one of proposed new names for Tulsa elementary school

So, we as a people, the last few decades, are just a lot more enlightened and intelligent than the last 500 years?

Or maybe, people today are just unable to see history for history and react emotionally to perceived injustices

You're not even attempting argue that what abd posted isn't true. You're just arguing we shouldn't view it that way and the only reason we shouldn't is because we never have.

And it's laughable to state that mass murder under the guise of genetic superiority is a "perceived injustice." Like slavery was "a misunderstanding of the employer-employee relationship" or the Holocaust was about "maintaining a more effective labor force."

For centuries, the peoples of Europe colonized, subjugated, enslaved, and murdered the peoples of the Americas, Africa, and Asia. That is a fact that many throughout history have conveniently ignored or denied. Are we more enlightened now because some (though, apparently, not all) recognize it? I don't know. Would you consider Americans to be "enlightened" because we recognize that the British subjugated the American colonists because there's little doubt in my mind that many in the U.K. for years (and possibly decades) considered Americans who did as "reacting emotionally to perceived injustices."

It's amazing to me that, in 2018, there are arguments about basic facts.

Very true. But that doesn't mean those skewed accounts have to go unexamined and unrebutted. I'd hate to think I could never revisit the events of my own life and gain new perspective on them, seeing them from the POV of the other people involved and perhaps acknowledging mistakes I made along the way that I'd never faced up to before. A country (or a people) should be willing to do the same. It's the only way to progress, I think.

Agreed and I don't see why we can't look at Columbus objectively. What does any of us have invested in seeing him as some sort of hero? He lived 500 years ago. Even if he was blood relative, it wouldn't say anything about my character, for better or worse.

The vote was last night.

Two Tulsa Public Schools got new names Monday night.

As of July 1, Chouteau Elementary will become Wayman Tisdale Fine Arts Academy and Columbus Elementary will be called Dolores Huerta Elementary School after the Tulsa school board voted to approve those changes Monday night.

The passage of the name Tisdale Fine Arts Academy garnered a standing ovation from the hundreds of people sitting in the audience. Tisdale, a Booker T. Washington High School alumnus, could very well be the first person who attended TPS schools to have a school named after them.

Link

Update: Tulsa Public Schools started its school year today, which means so did Wayman Tisdale Fine Arts Academy:

"For us, the name means everything," said Tisdale Principal Elaine Buxton. She said Tisdale had struggled and persevered, and that was something her students could learn from "no matter what they're going through."

Buxton also said it's important for her diverse school to be named after someone of color.

"So many images of minorities aren't positive."

Link

I applaud this decision, and like that the community has an honorable man representing their community now.

More Wayman-related news...

The second annual Tulsa Soul Festival has arrived.

Hosted by Guthrie Green on Friday, Sept. 28, and Saturday, Sept. 29, the free music festival honors the late Wayman Tisdale, a former NBA player and accomplished jazz musician.

The Tulsa Soul Festival is a weekend of live soul and R&B funk, art, entertainment and soul-centric Southern cuisine. It will honor and pay tribute to the legacy of Tisdale by highlighting his foundation’s mission and impact in the Tulsa community.

Link

Thought you all would like an update on Tulsa Public Schools' Wayman Tisdale Fine Arts Academy...

Teachers at Wayman Tisdale Fine Arts Academy greet students as they walk into the elementary school every morning. Some give fist-bumps. Others stick with high-fives.

Either way, the kids love it.

“I will tell you that if you’re in our halls, you’ll see students smiling,” Principal Elaine Buxton said. “They’re really understanding that they have people that love them and care about them.”

The warm welcome is just one of the many ways employees at Wayman Tisdale, 4132 W. Cameron St., are making students want to come to class.

After experiencing some of the worst attendance rates in the district, Buxton’s staff is making strides in combating a worrying trend that has had a deep impact on Tulsa Public Schools. Chronic absenteeism — referring to students who missed at least 10 percent of school days — continues to rise across the region.

Data shows Wayman Tisdale reported a daily attendance rate of 94.3 percent during the first quarter of the 2018-19 school year, compared to 92.9 percent during the same period last year. This year’s first-quarter chronic-absenteeism rate was 19.4 percent. Last year’s was 23.1 percent.

When Buxton heard the improved numbers, the principal let out an excited shout and began clapping.

“That means so much to me because it lets me know that what we are doing is working,” she said. “It’s a total team effort.”

Link

Recycling this thread to share some more Wayman Tisdale-related news...

Sixteen will be inducted in Booker T. Washington’s inaugural “Hornets Ring of Honor” ceremony scheduled for Feb. 8 between games of a basketball doubleheader against Union at Nathan E. Harris Field House.

The 12 former student-athletes inducted will include two Olympic gold-medal winners — Kenny Monday (wrestling) and Wayman Tisdale (basketball).

27577385E.jpg

More photos of honorees here

Last edited:
Happy for Wayman, but the narrow context so many are willing to “judge” historical people/events by is puzzling. I especially enjoy how people will defend their views with statements like “most agree” or some such non-sense that has nothing to do with reality.

I would argue that I am incapable of properly judging such characters because everything I have ever experienced is so far removed from the world people like Columbus lived in. Then again, I wasn’t smart enough to realize deferring the kickoff in the Orange Bowl was the reason we lost, so I guess I’ll just let the “most agree” crowd continue to enlighten the rest of us.

I do believe having the school named after Mr. Tisdale will do the community more good than having it named after someone like Columbus, but it has nothing to do with the virtues (or perceived lack thereof) of Columbus and everything to do with the relatability of a fellow Oklahoman living a good life and achieving great things.

Wanted to share an update on Tulsa Public Schools' Wayman Tisdale Fine Arts Academy...

An impassioned 8-year-old girl expected nothing short of perfection as she threaded silver sparkling beads onto a pink string at Wayman Tisdale Fine Arts Academy on Friday morning.

“It’s not finished yet,” second-grader Madison Thornton said before adding a colorful stone to the bracelet-in-progress. “It’s going to be beautiful.”

Madison is a newcomer to Club Friday at Wayman Tisdale, but she’s a fast learner. She’s also determined. That’s because she’s making up for lost time.

At the elementary school she attended a couple weeks ago, Fridays were just another day of lessons and assignments. It’s different at her new school.

Now she gets to spend an hour at the end of each week designing jewelry. While some classmates who have been here longer are content with tackling one project per week, Madison wants more.

“I’m making bracelets, necklaces, lots of things,” she said.

The jewelry-making class is one of 27 electives available to students at Wayman Tisdale, 4132 W. Cameron St., as part of Club Friday. The unique program allows the kids to choose a different elective each semester.

Club offerings are divided by grade level with topics including photography, robotics, fashion design, yoga, cooking, dancing and chess. One club is centered on meaningful discussion.

For a single hour on Friday mornings, school officials have their students’ undivided attention.

“I’ll tell you, and I’m knocking on wood, but I’ve never had any discipline problems during Club Friday,” Principal Elaine Buxton said. “Not a one.”

Back