We have no dirty players!!!

Navy2004

Reaction score
I have seen since the first part of the year that none of our players is tough enough to get in there and physically beat some body up. I saw numerous times just last night where players went to basket and tried to stay away from contact. That is not the way the game is played. You never allow a person to go right to the goal without a hard foul or too.You make screens hard on there guards. You never allow players to push you around outside on offense and you sure never allow the post to be dominated. OU has over the years players that never allowed this type of play and we need another one now....

Dirty players usually play defense or have high basketball IQs. The guys that could be dirty players ala Wright, Allen, Willis, Hardrick, etc, don't have that. Fitzgerald has that potential along with Davis.

Didn't quite mean it like that but, I believe you have the point...

Dirty players understand their role and how to bring something positive to a team outside of tangibles. Nothing better than watching a guy set a boneshattering pick on the other teams pg 90ft away from the basket. The guy setting that pick knows that if he can get to the quarterback, he can damage that team. Do you think Tiny Gallon sets a pick to shake up the other teams pg or to put himself in postion to shoot off of the pass? That's why some of the dirtiest player are team leader or part of winners. Look at Mueneke, Thomas, and Boddicker at Texas, or Artest and Rodman in the
NBA. Larry Bird was one of the dirtiest guys around. He was that way to counter his physical liabilities.

Maybe you mean 'tough guy' players - ala Eduardo - enforcers who love to play physical.

Dirty players are the backbone of good teams. They get on the floor for lose balls, they set the dirty picks and they make statements everyday. We don't one and that is our problem....

And they don't even have to be extremely talented. This team needs a Renzi Stone.

Now that is what I am saying. Did Coach over look this?

Navy and Eufala, you guys get it. Dirty players are team players. Guys that don't care about NBAdraft.net, rivals, Twitter or Facebook. We got more guys on Facebook than on the court. Dirty players are in the gym or the workout room. Dirty players call team meetings and call other players out while telling them we need them at the same time. Dirty players are leaders like Johnny Gilbert who was a top 50 recruit, but due to injuries, was relegated to a role player. Regardless, he plugged on and picked Hollis price up off the ground and knocked down the guy who put him there. Dirty players are Daryn Selvy who knew he would get the other teams best player everyday and only 2 or 3 opportunities to shoot the ball. Dirty players are David Godbold who were recruited over every year, but to no avail pushed and pushed doing all the little things until he became a starter, and stepped up and made big plays when his number was called? Dirty players are Austin Johnson, a guy that was railed on by message board posters for not being adequate enough, but continued to make play after play, big blocks, big shots, and battled guys who Sooner fans would trade him for in a heartbeat, to finally take his team to the Elite Eight? Go asked Willie Warren how he feels about Austin Johnson now? Go asked Jeff Capel if he could use a David Godbold this year? Ask Kellen Sampson the impact Johnnie Gilbert or Daryn Selvy would have on this team?

Those guys could never put up the stats that a Willie Warren, Tiny Gallon, TMG, or Steve pledger has the potential of, but it didn't matter to them.

Interesting definition of a dirty player...

There's a difference between playing hard (which you need) and playing dirty (which you don't).

Blue-collared might be a better description.
Maybe even denim.
That's it, we need a couple of "denim" players.

Blue-collared might be a better description.
Maybe even denim.
That's it, we need a couple of "denim" players.

"Dirty" players suits me just fine, thank you.

Johnny Gilbert is the first one I think of when I think of this!

Back