"We talking about Practice"

I'm glad you popped in. I thought of something earlier that I wanted to pass along.

Colin Powell commissioned a study on human decision making. It seems that alot of people with just normally functioning brains can make high quality decisions with as little as 40% of the available information. There is nothing unusual at all about that. And that range for some people could move on out to 70% of the avilable information to reach a high quality decision.

So, when someone wants to get on here and tell me that they need 100% of the availavble information to make quality decisions. And that everyone else does too. And that information can only be gained by sitting around a practice gym for two months. Well, my response is that they should work on their rapid cognition skills.

So, going forward, it would be much appreciated if people would refrain from trying to imprint on me there own particular and unique abilities or lack thereof.

Well, it is late. You fine gentlemen have a nice night.

Ok. I have no idea about your cognition skills. I questioned your rash conclusions, the need for them, and their value due your apparent lack of understanding of what you were observing. That's all. This isnt a time for decisions by anybody regarding this team, regardless of the speed of their cognition skills. This is a time of preparation.

My cognition skills are good, thank you very much, especially after my first cup of coffee.

Last edited:
Keep up the good work Gary, don't let the haters bring you down.

This must be why none of John Blake's recruits ever saw the field again when Stoops waltzed into town.

That is a fair point. But, for months now, the dominant excuse for poor reults has been short bench. Coaching makes a difference. Always has.

The good news (I guess):

You have some knowledge of Colin Powell's leadership theory.

The bad news:

You are completely misinterpreting, misapplying, and misrepresenting his leadership theories.

Congrats.

Thanks for you evaluation. But, I would request of you the same thing I asked of WT. Argue with me, not someone you made up. I referenced the result of one study reguarding decision making. I referenced in no way Powell's leadership theory.

I do have other sources. Try reading "Blink" by Malcomb Gladwell. I could have used that as my primary source. But, I know that it would asking way to much of my critics to actually put in alittle time and effort to arm themselves with a few facts and knowledge to support their arguement. It is much easier to just take a potshot.

Ok. I have no idea about your cognition skills. I questioned your rash conclusions, the need for them, and their value due your apparent lack of understanding of what you were observing. That's all. This isnt a time for decisions by anybody regarding this team, regardless of the speed of their cognition skills. This is a time of preparation.

My cognition skills are good, thank you very much, especially after my first cup of coffee.

OK. Let me see if I have this down. You are saying that you can not make quaility decisions with limited informantion. And if you can not do it, no one can do it. If I attempt to do it, then you will deem my conclusions as rash, not needed, and ignorant of what i was observing. And further more, you will set the time frame for when opinions are acceptable. Does that pretrty well cover it.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to go along with that. I'll get back to you.

OK. Let me see if I have this down. You are saying that you can not make quaility decisions with limited informantion. And if you can not do it, no one can do it. If I attempt to do it, then you will deem my conclusions as rash, not needed, and ignorant of what i was observing. And further more, you will set the time frame for when opinions are acceptable. Does that pretrty well cover it.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to go along with that. I'll get back to you.

I'm talking about preparing a basketball for a 30+ game season, through tough practices, scrimmages, 2 exhibition games, and at least a few non-Conf games. I promise you some of these things you think you have observed will change between now and then. I'm willing to wait and see what happens. You have made up your mind. You were informing a large group of people about this team with what I felt was biased and faulty information.

I'm sorry you so thin skinned you have trouble with criticism but this is a message board. Relax. This all started with your recap of the scrimmage. If you had tempered some of you comments or just stayed with giving solid, accurate practice reports along the lines what Sam gave and then handled some posters responses a little more openminded, this thread would have ended a long time ago. You said in a response to WT 'I am not making too much of one scrimmage'. Right there all you have to do is say 'You know, I might be making too much of one scrimmage but...' This is silly. You have taken a position and are in denial it could change over time. Cognitive skills or not, I have admitted i could be wrong and you could be right. However, you and I have only seen practices and 1 scrimmage. I'm sorry. I need more time and, with even more apologies to you, I think you do too.

Last edited:
I think we should probably spend more posts talking about this. It is a beneficial and healthy discussion.

Thanks for you evaluation. But, I would request of you the same thing I asked of WT. Argue with me, not someone you made up. I referenced the result of one study reguarding decision making. I referenced in no way Powell's leadership theory.

I do have other sources. Try reading "Blink" by Malcomb Gladwell. I could have used that as my primary source. But, I know that it would asking way to much of my critics to actually put in alittle time and effort to arm themselves with a few facts and knowledge to support their arguement. It is much easier to just take a potshot.

"Blink" is ok, his other works are more interesting though.

If I have to read books on "thinking and decision making" to be able to voice my opinion on this board, I'm gone.

Plenty of other OU message boards that don't require me to do homework in order to contribute.

:)

If I have to read books on "thinking and decision making" to be able to voice my opinion on this board, I'm gone.

Plenty of other OU message boards that don't require me to do homework in order to contribute.

This...

I agree. You prove it every day. That is my point. Everyone should be free to contribute whether they know what they are talking about or not. Which side of the arguement are you on. If I am on a side you don't like, I'm crazy and out of touch.

Don't get me wrong. You can default to name calling any time you want to. But, depending on my mood and available time, you may not be able to do it for free.

Ironic that the poster who once (well, at least once) called me a "pseudo intellectual pinhead" is now trying to start a book club.

I agree. You prove it every day. That is my point. Everyone should be free to contribute whether they know what they are talking about or not. Which side of the arguement are you on. If I am on a side you don't like, I'm crazy and out of touch.

Don't get me wrong. You can default to name calling any time you want to. But, depending on my mood and available time, you may not be able to do it for free.

You aren't crazy and out of touch b/c you have an opinion I don't agree with.

You are crazy and out of touch b/c of 1) how you form most of those opinions, 2) how you present most of those opinions, and 3) how you refuse to admit even a little bit that your opinions may end up being incorrect. Number three is particularly amusing b/c of all the stuff you were "wrong about" last season.

JMO.

So what we have gained from all this is no more practice reports.

I didn't always agree with Gary's conclusions but I appreciated his reports. I suppose we all want to be recognized as more expert than we really are and it is easy to get defensive when we are challenged.

Gary sort of sniped back at me when I posted a different opinion than in his report but what the heck. He has a right to his opinions. Also I have a right to disagree. It should not degenerate into pages of back and forth and a lot of hurt feelings.

So what we have gained from all this is no more practice reports.

I didn't always agree with Gary's conclusions but I appreciated his reports. I suppose we all want to be recognized as more expert than we really are and it is easy to get defensive when we are challenged.

Gary sort of sniped back at me when I posted a different opinion than in his report but what the heck. He has a right to his opinions. Also I have a right to disagree. It should not degenerate into pages of back and forth and a lot of hurt feelings.

The degeneration begins -- and always has -- in Gary's vitriolic responses. You can cross your fingers and hope that the entire community will bite their tongues and stay on topic when he lashes out, but you'll be disappointed more often than not.

I've been part of online communities since 1992, and I've learned the hard way that there are people who insist on making virtually every thread about themselves. They will always insist that they are innocent -- that they are, in fact, victims -- but the pattern never changes. Gary is as quintessential an example of this phenomenon as I've ever encountered.

I've just put him on my ignore list. It's too bad because I'm as eager to read his thoughts on OU hoops as anyone else's. I'm not willing, however, to wade through his venomous attacks and the off-the-rails threads they almost invariably lead to (and in this, I plead guilty, too -- though I should I know better, I've taken the bait more than my fair share of times).

Remember, this is a guy who a year ago went on the attack against Ada, of all people, calling him a hater. Who called me a pseudo-intellectual pinhead (well, maybe that's a bad example). Twelve months later, nothing's changed in the slightest.

Back