Westmoore guard Jessi Murcer

bluesooner17

Reaction score
Dream taking shape

Being recruited has kept Jags’ Murcer’s summer busy
PREP BASKETBALL By John McKelvey
Transcript Sports Writer

Westmoore guard Jessi Murcer is just beginning to realize her dream.

In one year, she’s gone from a talented up and comer to one of the queens of Oklahoma high school hoops. Her recruiting has increased. She’s only accrued a few offers, the first one coming from Oral Roberts and later Arkansas, but there appears to be plenty emerging on the horizon.

Last fall, Oklahoma’s Sherri Cole took in a Westmoore game and she has hardly been alone. Many collegiate programs have taken notice of the potent scorer. At the Adidas Super 64 tournament earlier this week and the Adidas Gauntlet camp that begins today in Frisco, Texas, Murcer will be under a microscope.

“We got to play in front of some major head coaches,” she said. “It obviously makes me nervous before the games, but I just try to trust in myself and be confident. All of the hours and hard work I’ve put in the gym, it will all just pay off.”

With the added pressure on Mercer, those around her have found new responsibilities. Her coach, Andrea Guziec, is one of those individuals.

On the court, Guziec can build off the Jaguars’ first state tournament appearance of her tenure. Off the court, she’s stepping into a new realm, helping a high-level prospect navigate the seas of college basketball recruiting.

“This is the first player that I’ve coached (like this), from the level that she’s getting this much attention this early in her high school career,” Guziec said. “It’s a new thing for me as well.”

That’s saying something. Earlier this spring, Westmoore guard Ashley Gomez signed her letter of intent to play for Xavier.

Yet, Murcer seems to be on a different level. Showcasing her talent against the best in the country this summer brings that potential into focus.

“It’s all happening really fast,” Murcer said. “But I’m really enjoying the process. Even the ones that I haven’t gotten offers from, getting to go up to their campuses and meeting their coaching staff, for them to know me by my first name and everything, that’s really cool.”

Murcer has remained in contact with Gomez and her former teammate Sydney Chastain, who signed with Arkansas-Little-Rock. The main piece of advice they offer is to not make a hasty decision. It’s hard to see Murcer doing that, not only because she’ll just be a junior this fall, with plenty of time to watch this play out, but nor is it her style.

While she’s a ball of energy on the court, Murcer tends to be reserved off it.

She’s shy. Also, Guziec has seen the transformation of Murcer’s personality up close. Now the guard texts or calls the coach to let her know another school’s interested or she’s been invited for a campus visit somewhere. She can’t hide her excitement any longer.

“She can be the biggest goofball and the life of the party as well. She just needs to get used to the person,” Guziec said.

“As she talks with these coaches on the phone, she’s getting comfortable with them and is able to start opening up with them as well.”

While this summer is a chance for her to get more familiar with her suitors, it also ushers in the reality of her new role. Chastain, Gomez, and forward Kaci Richardson, three key pieces to last season’s success, are gone. Murcer will return as an upperclassmen, a leader and one of the state’s top recruits. It’s a new challenge, but to fulfill her dream of playing on the highest level, she will have to get used to it.

I can't believe that we haven't offered her. We should have been the first.

I can't believe that we haven't offered her. We should have been the first.

What other schools are looking at her and what position does she play ? If her offers are Oral Roberts and Arkansas Little Rock, if so then it's pretty easy to see why OU hasn't offered her...

Go on Youtube and look at her freshman year highlights and you will see why I say that.

My biggest concern with Murcer is her size on the defensive side! She could be a mismatch waiting to happen on the other end because she rarely plays the point for her HS team so I don't see how she can play PG at a high D1 level. She is definitely skilled enough on the offensive end to play at a very high level though. It is best to wait this one out a little bit in my opinion.

I figure Veitenheimer is ahead of Murcer. Although OU needs 2 PGs.

I believe we need two pg but the first need is for one in the 17 class since losing Patterson
Truth is what OU has to have is players that Texas and Baylor want. Lots of kids on that list that are prospects for top 10 programs. We need a couple of them. Like Gray Prince Nalyssa Smith Veitenheimer Reece K Williams. All of these kids are kids our biggest competition wants so why don't we?

Back