What do folks see in Mizzou next year?

And I'm sure Kentucky returns less points per game this year than they had last year, but do you really think they'll be worse? (I'm not trying to be a douche, just an honest question)

DeMarre Carroll was a huge part of Mizzou's offense--a big man that can run the floor, defend, and pound it inside. I really don't see them replacing the production that Carroll and, in a lesser sense, Lyons brought to the team.
They'll end up in 4th or 5th in the Big 12. It's hard to replace your top 3 scorers.

Kim English? He may have turned it on late, but for the season he averaged 6.5 ppg. Sure, in Anderson's system, there are a lot of players sharing minutes, but 6.5 ppg is about as comparable as Juan Patillo.

I'll get attacked for this, but Demarre Carroll was more or equally important to Mizzou as Blake Griffin was to OU. Dewitt, Underwood, and the other guy they brought in combined would not equal Carroll. Obviously someone is going to have to pick up the scoring slack. More shots will go to probably English, Denmon will be allowed to drive and shoot more, and whatever other guys they have will get shots. However, the thing that put them over the top was the fact that they had two guys to go for buckets. In the Kansas and UT game, they ran the offense through Carroll and Lyons. Their ability to score and force defenders to leave their man to stop them, won those games. It's obvious Kim English and Zaire Taylor aint gonna do that.

what others have said about carroll. he was the quintessential Mike Anderson player. big, long, physical on both ends, tough to match-up in transition, scores the ball.

hard to know about them. still a tough out who will be dangerous more than a few times next year. i put them about 9-7 in conference and the bubble. hard to go much higher than that based on "system" losing carroll, lyons, lawrence.

I'll get attacked for this, but Demarre Carroll was more or equally important to Mizzou as Blake Griffin was to OU. Dewitt, Underwood, and the other guy they brought in combined would not equal Carroll. Obviously someone is going to have to pick up the scoring slack. More shots will go to probably English, Denmon will be allowed to drive and shoot more, and whatever other guys they have will get shots. However, the thing that put them over the top was the fact that they had two guys to go for buckets. In the Kansas and UT game, they ran the offense through Carroll and Lyons. Their ability to score and force defenders to leave their man to stop them, won those games. It's obvious Kim English and Zaire Taylor aint gonna do that.

Spot on. Well said. Exactly right. If you watched Mizzou much last year you know this to be true. These others guys they have all have holes in their games that will be exposed when they are the focus of defenses. Carroll and Lyons were that entire team.

I don't have to defend anything. I have to explain it to the uninformed.

And for what it's worth, MU with "no scorers" returns more points per game than Oklahoma next year.
Anderson's teams have averaged 77.6, 77.1 and 81.5 points per game in his three seasons. He's done that with teams largely devoid of "scorers" (or talent in general if you're talking about his first year). There may not be an All Conference go-to type guy this year, but MU will still be at or near the top of the conference in scoring.

Show me two Mizzou players that are better scorers than Willie Warren and Tony Crocker. Thanks. You (and the rest of the Big 12) are going to get a front row seat as to just how dynamic of a scorer Willie can be. Crock is a three year starter that is averaging over 10 points per during his career. Oh, and we have a guy named Tiny Gallon coming in as well. A little birdie told me that he can score as well....

Don't worry about Oklahoma. We will be fine.

No scorers.

JT Tiller, Kim English, Zaire Taylor, Marcus Denmon, and the combo of 4 quality posts will score.

Bowers is going to be a good player. He is more athletic than Lyons and Carroll and when he played extended minutes he produced last year. He scored 16 points against Kansas State and 16 points against Colorado. He had 16 points and 6 rebounds in 15 minutes against K-State. He is in the mold of Demarre Carroll, only more athletic. This guy is going to be good.

Ramsey is going to have a breakout year... He did everything a backup post is supposed to do, and he also was good enough to start some. He is a really good defender, shot blocker, and can put the ball on the floor and score.

what others have said about carroll. he was the quintessential Mike Anderson player. big, long, physical on both ends, tough to match-up in transition, scores the ball.

You just described Laurence Bowers and Keith Ramsey... Both of those guys are above the rim players who run the court extremely well and can score.

They are both quintessential Mike Anderson post players.

I'll get attacked for this, but Demarre Carroll was more or equally important to Mizzou as Blake Griffin was to OU. Dewitt, Underwood, and the other guy they brought in combined would not equal Carroll. Obviously someone is going to have to pick up the scoring slack.

Thats absurd... Ramsey, Bowers, Safford, and Dewitt will easily make up for the scoring slack. Add to that English is going to be a big scorer next year as well and they will get their points.

Kim English? He may have turned it on late, but for the season he averaged 6.5 ppg. Sure, in Anderson's system, there are a lot of players sharing minutes, but 6.5 ppg is about as comparable as Juan Patillo.

There is a difference. Kim English was a true freshman in a reserve role. Anybody who watched Mizzou last year knows that English showed big time potential as a reserve and should have a great career at Mizzou.

Played in all 38 games, making 13 starts during Big 12 action...Finished the year #2 all-time among Missouri freshmen with 41 three-point makes...Reached double figures eight times on the year, including a career high 17 points vs. #23 Marquette in the second round of the NCAA Tournament ... Hit 3-of-6 treys vs. the Golden Eagles and was a perfect 2-of-2 at the foul line..Also turned in a 13-point night against Cornell in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament and chipped in six free throws against Memphis in the Sweet 16 ... Scored 16 points in wins over California and Iowa State ... Scored 14 consecutive tallies in the win over the Golden Bears and then hit 4-of-5 treys in Ames to help the Tigers top the Cyclones..

English is a player... 6'6'', good shooter, athletic, strong, etc... He is the prototype shooting guard and has everything needed to be a really good player.

I agree with your assessment BigABD. They will be young and athletic but post depth will be a problem, as Steve Moore is not that good (unless he has taken major strides this offseason).

Back