What do you want to see from Spangler

DenverSooner

Reaction score
I want and think he can lead the league in rebounding. Even if he doesn't lead the league, I think he can average 10 a game or darn close to that. Some of this will depend on how he is used but he was a great rebounder as a sophomore.

I want to see some improvement on his shot. I thought he made good progress from his sophomore to junior year. If he has similar progress this year, he will be a legitimate threat from 16 feet to just past the there point line. When one or both of your forwards can do this, it really opens things up in the paint.

He really doesn't need to improve on the put backs and garbage points because he has always been really good at that.

The hard part for spangler is that he doesn't create any mismatches on offense or defense. Not fast enough to take big guys off the dribble, not big enough to bother little guys or to body up against tall guys.

We need leadership from Ryan, effort, and toughness. If he can give us those things, we'll be in good shape.

Just keep doing what he's doing. He'll shoot the 3 a bit more this year. Also Stay fresh for the ncaa run.

I don't think he'll have a chance to lead the league in boards because I think his minutes should go down some and I think we win more blowouts this season. It'd be tough regardless to beat out that cat at Baylor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hard part for spangler is that he doesn't create any mismatches on offense or defense. Not fast enough to take big guys off the dribble, not big enough to bother little guys or to body up against tall guys.

We need leadership from Ryan, effort, and toughness. If he can give us those things, we'll be in good shape.

Great post

For the past two years, Ryan Spangler was better in November than he was in March. It was obvious both years that he wore down. So, what do I want to see from him? I would like to see his minutes decrease in hopes that he is better in the spring of 2016 than he'll be in the fall of 2015.

For the past two years, Ryan Spangler was better in November than he was in March. It was obvious both years that he wore down. So, what do I want to see from him? I would like to see his minutes decrease in hopes that he is better in the spring of 2016 than he'll be in the fall of 2015.

All that matters. We need the Spangs we see in December to be the same in March if this team wants to do anything.

He needs to be more aggressive on offense. Shoot some jump shots if hes open. Otherwise keep hustling

Would like him to be fully healthy in March. There was one play I remember in the Dayton game where he had a fast break dunk and he looked like he could barely jump, and he laid it in. He didn't seem as fresh or aggressive as the season went on. I will never question his character or effort, he just seemed broken down almost. Have a solid rotation that can take the beating of playing inside

I'm looking for about 12 ppg and 8 or 9 rpg. Hope he has improved all his aspects slightly, though.

OU played 35 games last season, meaning there were about 2800 minutes available to post players:

(2 players X 40 minutes X 35 games)

As a point of reference, here are the post minutes for the 2014-15 season.

1088 .. Ryan Spangler (31.1 mpg; started all 35 games)
1038 .. TaShawn Thomas (29.7 mpg; started all 35 games)
_403 .. Khadeem Lattin (11.9 mpg in 34 games)
_226 .. D.J. Bennett (7.8 mpg in 29 games)

TaShawn Thomas and D.J. Bennett have graduated and taken their senior experience with them.

2015-16: Presuming the coaches do reduce Ryan Spangler's playing time downward about 8% to 1000 minutes, that leaves about 1800 minutes for these guys:

> Khadeem Lattin
> Dante Buford
> Jamuni McNeace
> Akolda Manyang

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I would like to see a return of the aggressive, relentless rebounder and scorer Ryan was known for his first season at OU.

He backed off of that style of play some last year, mainly due to early foul trouble and the fact that our quality post depth was lacking to some extent. I also agree with WaymanFan that he was beat up and worn down by the end of the season. Hopefully that will not be the case this year!

Around 14 PPG and 9 RPG I think is reasonable.

Even though his minutes will (hopefully) be decreased, I expect him to be MUCH more efficient and shoot the ball at a better clip.

Would like to see him stay fresh through conference and postseason play

I'd like the see his help defense grow. He was a good help defender last year, but I think he still has room to make a bigger impact. I know I can count on him to get boards and junk buckets. I'd like to see him improve his defensive impact.

Another thing for me would be to just see him go up strong when he catches it in position in the post and not hesitate to go up strong and dunk it/power lay up.

Back