Whats up with Kentucky?

thebigabd

Reaction score
They nearly get beat by Miami of Ohio and then they give up 92 points and win a pretty close game against Sam Houston State.

Talent all over the floor, but they are Freshmen. Sounds familiar...and like our guys are further along than thiers.

They are pretty much an all-star team and there just isn't any chemistry. They might develop as the season progresses, but what happens after this season and Wall, Patterson, Cousins, and probably Bledsoe all opt for the NBA? They will just be back to where they started. Huge recruiting classes like UK had look great on paper but seldom realize their potential until the 2nd season, but UK might not have that luxury. I'm sure Jessie could fill us in.

Very similar situation to us. But I think we have something they don't. Willie, Cade, Crock, and Wright. All of those guys offer a lot of experience and leadership. Early on, that is the difference in developing young talent. At the end of the year, sadly to say, it won't matter as much because most talented freshman mature through the course of a season.

They are overrated IMO and have been since John Wall signed there.

Let think about it. They return about half of a team that went to the NIT, minus Jodie Meeks who was their leading scorer and superstar. They replace them with a bunch of overhyped talented guys from all over the country into a circus atmosphere with a new coach and ridiculous expecations of going to the final four.

I wouldn't be surprised if they lost in the 2nd round of tourney, and I'm definitly not suprised at any struggles that they have early this season.

Wall still hasnt played in a regular season game right?

They looked like a totally different team when he played in exhibition compared to when he didnt...just adds another deminsion...

That being said, they are still young and i think are overrated at this point in the season....they will be a contender come tourney time, but they have a lot of growing up to do...

Wall still hasnt played in a regular season game right?

They looked like a totally different team when he played in exhibition compared to when he didnt...just adds another deminsion...

That being said, they are still young and i think are overrated at this point in the season....they will be a contender come tourney time, but they have a lot of growing up to do...

No.

Wall has played all except one game.

he has played in the regular season already.... i think he won the game for them on a last second shot in their first game?

He had 21 last night against Sam Houston State. 6 Assists and 6 Turnovers as well.

Kentucky is more like a band of mercenaries than a college basketball team, IMO. Not conducive to team play – or winning consistently, for that matter.

Kentucky is more like a band of mercenaries than a college basketball team, IMO. Not conducive to team play – or winning consistently, for that matter.

I agree. I think they are WAY overrated.

However, it may be in the best interest of those mercenaries to come together--this is a team I would liken to some of those Quin Snyder coached Mizzou teams. Talented, up-and-down, and definitely not a team you want to face in the NCAA tournament. I would guess something like a 4-seed for Kentucky this year.

OH-VER RATE-ED:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

OH-VER RATE-ED:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

This is just simply a result of the youth that many of the Preseason Top 25 teams are having to deal with. This is why I think KU and Mich St. are going to be very difficult to handle come March. They don't have this problem. Can the young teams gel by then? I think they can, but there will always be the potential for a total clunker in the tournament. This could be the year a 16 seed beats a one.

A very young team that can score, but hasn't learned to play defense at this level. To be fair, SHS was making everything they threw up the other night...I fully expect UK to be very tough come conference play. You can chalk that up to gaining experience and a generally weak SEC (even though not as bad as last year).

Just because of dirty Cal I wish I could say at the end of the year they d still have major problems gel-ing but talent usually wins out in the end. That being said having them ranked #4 is ridiculous. If Henry went there what would they be ranked, #1 ?

Big Bad,

Do you agree with Kentucky Fall recruiting Grade and Kansas??

This is the final grade for Fall Recruitment:

KENTUCKY Calicats:

The GRADE is : C

*only got one commit, Poole.
*the recruit is a top75 player.
*But, Cali had MANY recruiting losses such as Lamb, A.Payne, Barnes,Irving, Harris, and all those lost to Memphis-Josh P.

Looks like Cali recruitment is not very good without www and Josh P.

When will www finally get involve?

Kansass "Gangster U":

The GRADE is a : D

*only received a commit from one player.
*the commit is not a TOP100 recruit.
*Also lost in many recruiting battles: Irving,A.Payne,Cory Joseph,Terrence Jones, Lamb, BARNES,...

The staff was very ineffective.
But, the flux of the team's roster did play a role.

I'm just saying...

I just don't think Calipari is a very good basketball coach when it comes to the x's and o's. I'm not judging him on this young Kentucky team... but I'm saying... overall he's a fantastic recruiter but not a great teacher of the game.

Will the hammer come down on Calipari for the Derrick Rose issue? Do you really think he didn't know? Knowing Cali's past, I'm not so sure. That's up for debate. After Camby with UMASS? I would laugh if UK gets hammered in time for hiring Calipari. Wishful thinking? Probably. Kentucky is a cash cow.

I just don't think Calipari is a very good basketball coach when it comes to the x's and o's. I'm not judging him on this young Kentucky team... but I'm saying... overall he's a fantastic recruiter but not a great teacher of the game.

Will the hammer come down on Calipari for the Derrick Rose issue? Do you really think he didn't know? Knowing Cali's past, I'm not so sure. That's up for debate. After Camby with UMASS? I would laugh if UK gets hammered in time for hiring Calipari. Wishful thinking? Probably. Kentucky is a cash cow.

Yes and no. I think Rick Barnes is better. Self showed he was better. Roy is by far better. Ben Howland is great. Tubby smith is by far better. Nolan Richardson is better, though a system coach.

However, the one thing that I like about Cal is he doesn't put shackles on his players. The old addage is the only guy to ever stop Michael Jordan was Dean Smith. Well, we have alot of Dean Smiths in basketballs that don't let players deviate from the system. As much as I hate hearing about the "Dribble Drive" over and over again, It is huge that players have a dribble drive option every time the get the ball. It's a plus that he recruits players that can perform that task. Now it's twofold, because the dribble drive wouldn't work with a Tony Crocker and Cade Davis. But it will work with a Bledsoe, and Wall, a CDR and Rose. So in a ways, that is good X and O coaching. But think about this though. At some point, UK is going to be able to stop people on the defensive end. Right now they aren't doing that. If they get to the point where they are stopping people, we're going to see this team look really, really good.

Props to Daniel Orton for having 4 blocks in limited minutes. If defense continues to be a problem, he'll get more burn.

Based on UK game performances, UK should not be ranked.

The ranking is solely based on HYPE.

I'm just saying.

Back