Where does OUBB rank TODAY as a program?

Mr.B!!!

Reaction score
Maybe a stupid post, but am curious to hear some other posters thoughts on where OU ranks as a program on the national scene at this moment from a recruits mindset. I'm thinking somewhere in the Top 15?

In our conference, I'd rank Kansas ahead of us, think we are comperable to Texas but have to give them the slight edge.

In the SEC, I'd rank Kentucky ahead of us, think we are comperable to Florida.

In the Pac 10, I'd rank UCLA ahead of us, think we might be just a little bit ahead of Arizona at this point.

In the Big East, I'd rank UConn, Louisville and maybe Syracuse ahead of us, comperable to a couple of other schools like Georgetown and Pitt.

In the Big 10, I'd rank Michigan State ahead of us, I think we are a little ahead of Ohio State and Indiana right now.

In the ACC I'd rank North Carolina and Duke ahead of us.

In the smaller conferences, I think that we are comperable to Memphis.

When it all shakes out, I say that you could rank the teams as follows:

1. North Carolina (Stock is stable; peaked?)
2. Kentucky (Stock is rising; peaked?)
3t. UCLA (Stock is stable)
3t. Kansas (Stock is stable)
5. UConn (Stock is falling)
6. Duke (Stock is falling)
7. Michigan State (Stock is stable)
8. Texas (Stock is stable)
9. Louisville (Stock is falling)
10. Syracuse (Stock is stable)
11. Florida (Stock is falling)
12t. Oklahoma (Stock is rising)
12t. Pitt (Stock is stable)
14t. Arizona
14t. Memphis
14t. Georgetown

Anyone I'm just flat out missing? I see no reason why OU cannot go in and cherry pick a couple of McDAA Five Star Types this season to go along with what we already have.

FWIW, I'd put oSu somewhere in the Top 25, I just want to see what Ford does with his own recruits as Sean left him some pretty good players.

Last edited:
I'd have us ahead of Syracuse. That beating we gave them in the NCAA tourney is evidence that we have passed them.

That and the fact that Boeheim is having to beg, plead and complain every year just to try to sneak into the tourney as the last at-large team.

Anything that we say is purely subjective. I think we are one of the Top 25 programs out there. I think Florida and Ohio State have to be above us with their recent NC's and Final Four appearances. Plus the way Thad Matta is recruiting right now should be illegal. I think OU gets overlooked a lot in the national stage because they are a "football school", but the program has done everything you can possibly do, BESIDES winning a NC. If Capel keeps recruiting the way he is, I think we have a very good shot at a NC in the next 3-4 years.

There's no doubt we are discounted because of a reputattion as a football school. However, you have to decide whether you are taoking about the last couple of years , the last ten or the time from Tubbs to now. On the longer view, we are top ten no doubt.

how is kentucky AHEAD of UCLA at this point? 3 final fours in 4 years for UCLA. An embarrassing coaching change for Kentucky?

I agree that we're ahead of syracuse.

Michigan State should be ahead of Duke. Better results and more post-season consistency this decade.

I agree with your assessment, OU is easily a top fifteen program. I don't agree that we're in a position to "cherry pick" MickeyD AA caliber recruits every season...at least not yet. There are no more than four or five programs (UNC, Duke, KU, to name three) who seem to pretty much have their pick of the liter season after season. Even those programs don't get everyone they go after (Blake Griffin and Willie Warren, for example).

There is absolutely no doubt that OU has made a bid to be a major player in recruiting the past couple of years, and judging by the recruits we're in on for 2010, I don't see that changing anytime soon. But, you'd better believe that Coach Capel and his staff have gotten the attention of those at the top. They definitely know OU is lurking, that's for sure. :D

how is kentucky AHEAD of UCLA at this point? 3 final fours in 4 years for UCLA. An embarrassing coaching change for Kentucky?

I agree that we're ahead of syracuse.

Michigan State should be ahead of Duke. Better results and more post-season consistency this decade.

I was talking more about recruits and their perception of OU "as of today", not necesarily ranking the programs historically.

To me Kentucky is still more highly regarded than UCLA by recruits (although there may be some bias there as the West Coast kids do not seem to get the pub that the east coast ones do).

For certain, I could have been more clear in my initial post.

I agree with your assessment, OU is easily a top fifteen program. I don't agree that we're in a position to "cherry pick" MickeyD AA caliber recruits every season...at least not yet. There are no more than four or five programs (UNC, Duke, KU, to name three) who seem to pretty much have their pick of the liter season after season. Even those programs don't get everyone they go after (Blake Griffin and Willie Warren, for example).

There is absolutely no doubt that OU has made a bid to be a major player in recruiting the past couple of years, and judging by the recruits we're in on for 2010, I don't see that changing anytime soon. But, you'd better believe that Coach Capel and his staff have gotten the attention of those at the top. They definitely know OU is lurking, that's for sure. :D

Again, my bad on clarity...I was thinking specifically for this season and the guys that we are in on. If we are percieved as a Top 15 type program and also as being "on the rise", there is no reason IMHO to think that we could not pick off one of these high end guys that are coming in to visit.

Again, my bad on clarity...I was thinking specifically for this season and the guys that we are in on. If we are percieved as a Top 15 type program and also as being "on the rise", there is no reason IMHO to think that we could not pick off one of these high end guys that are coming in to visit.

In that case, I agree 100%! Maybe I'm the one who misunderstood in the first place. Nothing unusual for me these days. :)

In our conference, I'd rank Kansas ahead of us, think we are comperable to Texas but have to give them the slight edge.

I really do not understand OU fans that say things like this. What is the basis for a biased person (an OU fan) saying a slight edge to Texas. OU has accomplished a lot more than Texas in Basketball and has dominated them in head to head competition. I can understand a Texas fan givign themselves a slight edge but we really need to change our own opinions about our program.

As fans we pretty much all believe we have the best football program in the Nation but we just will not give our basketball program the respect it deserves. Only KU in the Big XII/Big 8 has a better program than OU.

I get that it is not realistic to say OU is the best college basketball program in the country but OU is better than our fans think. As basketball fans we do this nonsense with OSU too. However, Bigtime has proven over and over again with his statistics thread that in reality there is no real comparison between OU and OSU, OU dominates OSU statistically.

I really do not understand OU fans that say things like this. What is the basis for a biased person (an OU fan) saying a slight edge to Texas. OU has accomplished a lot more than Texas in Basketball and has dominated them in head to head competition. I can understand a Texas fan givign themselves a slight edge but we really need to change our own opinions about our program.

As fans we pretty much all believe we have the best football program in the Nation but we just will not give our basketball program the respect it deserves. Only KU in the Big XII/Big 8 has a better program than OU.

I get that it is not realistic to say OU is the best college basketball program in the country but OU is better than our fans think. As basketball fans we do this nonsense with OSU too. However, Bigtime has proven over and over again with his statistics thread that in reality there is no real comparison between OU and OSU, OU dominates OSU statistically.

There is no bigger homer than me for OU hoops; and can say that I completely agree with what you are saying as far as overall. BUT from a recruits mindset, UT has had pretty routine success putting guys into the NBA over the last five years or so...just saying that for recruiting purposes, I think that UT is slightly ahead right now, not bagging on OU's program in the least.

Depends on what the recruit is looking for, where they are from, etc. I would say Top 20, Pitt has to be ahead of us, would give the edge to Texas as well. No way you can put us ahead of Ohio State and Florida.

I think we're basing on our program on what could be in future seasons, more than what has actually happened. We've put one solid player in the NBA (Blake) and a borderline draft pick (Taylor, who is going to register much with elite recruits). We expect Willie to go high, but you can't count the money until it's in the bank.

Maybe a stupid post, but am curious to hear some other posters thoughts on where OU ranks as a program on the national scene at this moment from a recruits mindset. I'm thinking somewhere in the Top 15?

In the SEC, I'd rank Kentucky ahead of us, think we are comperable to Florida.

In the Pac 10, I'd rank UCLA ahead of us, think we might be just a little bit ahead of Arizona at this point.

In the Big East, I'd rank UConn, Louisville and maybe Syracuse ahead of us, comperable to a couple of other schools like Georgetown and Pitt.

In the Big 10, I'd rank Michigan State ahead of us, I think we are a little ahead of Ohio State and Indiana right now.

In the ACC I'd rank North Carolina and Duke ahead of us.

In the smaller conferences, I think that we are comperable to Memphis.

When it all shakes out, I say that you could rank the teams as follows:

1. North Carolina (Stock is stable; peaked?)
2. Kentucky (Stock is rising; peaked?)
3t. UCLA (Stock is stable)
3t. Kansas (Stock is stable)
5. UConn (Stock is falling)
6. Duke (Stock is falling)
7. Michigan State (Stock is stable)
8. Texas (Stock is stable)
9. Louisville (Stock is falling)
10. Syracuse (Stock is stable)
11. Florida (Stock is falling)
12t. Oklahoma (Stock is rising)
12t. Pitt (Stock is stable)
14t. Arizona
14t. Memphis
14t. Georgetown

Anyone I'm just flat out missing? I see no reason why OU cannot go in and cherry pick a couple of McDAA Five Star Types this season to go along with what we already have.

FWIW, I'd put oSu somewhere in the Top 25, I just want to see what Ford does with his own recruits as Sean left him some pretty good players.

I also find it amusing that the only stock which is rising in your opinion is OU's. Biased?

See Kentucky.

Being "stable" as a Top 10 team in recruiting is nothing to sneeze at; I'd take it every year for OU and be pleased as punch. Which team would you disagree with and say they are rising?

As to stock that is falling:

Uconn is having issues that might lead them to probation;

Duke has seemingly made the decision that they are only going after three or four year players;

Louisville just had a coach get caught in a nasty off the court incident; and

Florida was recruiting with anyone in the nation just a few yrears ago, they still are, but it seems that they have fallen off just a little bit.

Every one of those teams may end up with a better class than OU; however, that does not mean that they have not fallen off from where they were.

There is no bigger homer than me for OU hoops; and can say that I completely agree with what you are saying as far as overall. BUT from a recruits mindset, UT has had pretty routine success putting guys into the NBA over the last five years or so...just saying that for recruiting purposes, I think that UT is slightly ahead right now, not bagging on OU's program in the least.

I did not mean anything I said as an insult. I just truly believe if OU is giong to take the next step in basketball the fans need to step first. Why should others believe OU is great when OU fans question it.

UT has put more guys into the NBA but OU has consistently had the better program.

Back