which recruit?

luckyc1423

Reaction score
I am starting to get nervous about our next recruit...now that I am in houston i keep hearing about a guy from down here but I cannot figure out who it is we are on....here is the list of recruits that I found we are in on still...who do you think we will get...I truly do not feel comfortable on any of them...I feel we need atleast 1 guy in the top 50 (1 and done or 2 and done type) and get a couple more in the top 100 and I would be happy with our class...

Terrence jones – 15 overall; 4 power forward
Doron lamb – 19 overall; 4 shooting guard
Cameron clark – 30 overall; 6 small forward
Michael cobbins – 37 overall; 9 power forward
Ray mccallum – 46 overall; 12 point guard
Rickey scott – 66 overall; 16 shooting guard
Phil pressley – 69 overall; 15 point guard
Trevor releford – 150 overall; 33 point guard

Already signed:
Tj taylor – 92 overal; 22 shooting guards

the only downlow players from this list are terronce jones and michael cobbins and neither seem extremely interested.....add some to the list if you have any..

Cameron Clark and probably no one else on that list, unfortunately.

I don't know why, but something tells me not to give up completely on Doron Lamb.

I agree that Clark is a decent bet. Trever Releford may be in, too, especially seeing as how we will be losing Crock after this season. That means that anyone who comes in and can play combo will be at a premium. I once thought Ray McCallum was a, pardon the pun, "slam dunk", but now I'm not so sure.

It sounds like Cobbins already nixed us from his final 6.

Really? I don't feel that way. I think we will get three of the guys listed above (probably Cam, Releford, and one other).

I also am feeling a JUCO big man or a recruit that hasn't been mentioned on this board to round out the 5th member of the class.

Really? I don't feel that way. I think we will get three of the guys listed above (probably Cam, Releford, and one other).

I also am feeling a JUCO big man or a recruit that hasn't been mentioned on this board to round out the 5th member of the class.

Not you too buddy. Sad thing is we are almost resigned to having a Juco big man unless we're able to get a Kirk or Johnson to commit. This is where Oyediji and Cobbins are really hurting us. As for the list above, Clark and Releford are our biggest chances. OU is going to have to do a hell of a job to get someone else. Don't forget about Justin Jackson, a high school kid out of Florida. OU has shown him some interest as well.

http://florida.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=82099

Noone take offense as I have never seen a video of this kid play....do we really want releford? would we rather save our scholly for next year? He is barely in the top 150 coming in at 150...we should be able to get a better commit if not this year then next....I am missing something?

Trevor, by the reports I've seen, has had a really good summer, I can only assume that when the new rankings come out he will have made a good jump up the rankings.

Noone take offense as I have never seen a video of this kid play....do we really want releford? would we rather save our scholly for next year? He is barely in the top 150 coming in at 150...we should be able to get a better commit if not this year then next....I am missing something?

Different sites have him at diferent rankings. I would guess that he will end up in everyone's top 80 when it is all said in done (that is Andrew Fitzgerald range).

It is going to be tough to land any point guard right now because of TMG. I would be thrilled with Releford because he will be a four year guy that can be a second true point guard for this program. The only guy that I would rather have over him is Ray McCallum, but at this point, I think you take Releford if and when you can get him.

Even if he pops up 15 spots we still have these players ranked on the team (assuming they come back)

1) ray willis (108)
2) fitz (70)
3) gallon (9)
4) TMG (46)
5) Pledger (121)
6) Cade Davis (NR) -- but alot seem to love him so I add him
7) Allen (NR) -- he will still be a big contributor
8) TJ Taylor (92)

Releford is listed as a Guard so were will he get playing time if the rankings is a good judge of talent...we already have willis (108), TMG (46), Cade, and TJ Taylor (92), and assuming we signed one more guard in the top 100

Thats five guards that have more talent then him (exception of cade but his experience will be huge)
I dont see why we sign him....Just because we havent signed anyone else? I say save the scholly and look for next year if we dont land all the people we want, dont sign someone just to have a player signed

what am I missing?

so he jumps from 150 to 80?? that would be great but jumping that high is either unrealistic or the people who are doing these rankings are doing an awfull job because thats a huge jump

so he jumps from 150 to 80?? that would be great but jumping that high is either unrealistic or the people who are doing these rankings are doing an awfull job because thats a huge jump

It happens all the time. It happened with Cobbins (from the 90-100 range to now in the 30s-40s). A great summer showing can really make guys jump in the rankings. It is far from an exact science.

Anther good example from this year is James Johnson. He went from being unranked to now being really high in every service's rankings. Cam Clark did the exact same thing.

Even if he pops up 15 spots we still have these players ranked on the team (assuming they come back)

1) ray willis (108)
2) fitz (70)
3) gallon (9)
4) TMG (46)
5) Pledger (121)
6) Cade Davis (NR) -- but alot seem to love him so I add him
7) Allen (NR) -- he will still be a big contributor
8) TJ Taylor (92)

Releford is listed as a Guard so were will he get playing time if the rankings is a good judge of talent...we already have willis (108), TMG (46), Cade, and TJ Taylor (92), and assuming we signed one more guard in the top 100

Thats five guards that have more talent then him (exception of cade but his experience will be huge)
I dont see why we sign him....Just because we havent signed anyone else? I say save the scholly and look for next year if we dont land all the people we want, dont sign someone just to have a player signed

what am I missing?

Even if he didn't play next his freshman year, I still think he will be valuable down the road. Ray Willis didn't play much his freshman year. I am still glad that we have him on the team. I think he would get some minutes as a true freshman at the point as a back up (similar to Omary Leary's first season). I guess it would depend on whether he or TJ was ready to play defense at the D1 level.

If he is a top 80 talent then lets get him and clark and I would be happy...but if he really is in the low 140's-150 then I say we pass....everyone is excited about our program (including me) and I think our thought process has changed from a good season and making the tourny to having a chance to win big 12 championships and make it far in the tourny....it boils down to if this guy can help us get that done then take him...if not then pass

Terrell Pryor jumped from out of the top 150 to 26 on the rivals final listing. He has yet played a college basketball game. Anthony Booker jumped from out of the rankings to 29. He didn't have a great freshman year for SIU. Sometimes you take these rankings like a grain of salt. The updates highlight the guys who aren't committed more than they do the ones that are. That is some of the reason that Releford has been getting good press.

Just as an fyi, ESPN has Releford ranked #49 overall. I get the feeling that Capel is waiting to offer on Rickey Scott because he prefers Releford. I think maybe he'd like another true pg on the team.

My guess is the next commit will be Releford or Scott.

Wow 49 overall thats really good....Like I said I have yet to see this kid play...then my next question is how can one site have a kid at 150 and another at 49? I know there will be differences but that difference is huge. To me this sounds like that one of these sites is totally off and really should not be ranking anyone if they cannot get more correct than that

then by espn's ranking (and the guys some of you think we will get)...we will have an awsome class...

cameron clark at #18
Releford at #49
Taylor at #71

only fear would be that is two pg's and a SF....the talent that is already on our team is with our guards....do we get any good post players this year or next?

Wow, you went from riding high on signing 4-6 of them to now only signing one of them, lol.

I bet there will be two jucos, with JP Olukemi being one of them.

then by espn's ranking (and the guys some of you think we will get)...we will have an awsome class...

cameron clark at #18
Releford at #49
Taylor at #71

only fear would be that is two pg's and a SF....the talent that is already on our team is with our guards....do we get any good post players this year or next?

I think that will be the style Capel settles into, honestly. He wants to run a 4-out, 1-in motion offense, so I would expect the team to be guard heavy, with lots of emphasis on versatility. I think there will be a lot more combo-forwards in out future than true bigs.

Back