Why have so many guys left under Capel?

rumor about TMG: not sure if its true but just hear say- tommy was apparently asking capel to pay him because some of his buddies at other schools were getting paid & capels response was i didnt pay blake griffin why would i pay you- again just hear sayy

if yue see me and ask me y i aint doin anotha yr yue mite get ignored

Antonio Bobo
Princeton Parks
Michael Cotton
Bobby Joe Evans
Tyrone Foster
Lou Moore
Ryan Humphrey
Alex Spaulding
JR Raymond
Ronnie Griffin
Blake Johnston
Jabahri Brown
Rashaad Carruth
Matt Gipson
De'Angelo Alexander
Larry Turner
Brandon Foust
Drew Lavender
Lawrence McKenzie
Jimmy Tobias

That doesn't include guys like John Hall, James Wright, and Tony Heard who signed but never made it to campus. OU basketball has just had an extremely high attrition rate over the last couple decades.

Unfortunately you left off Prince Fowler (I think that was his name, he played one season and was originally recruited by Tubbs). That is an unbelievably long list. When you add in the 14 guys under Capel that left early or transferred and the three that were released OU is pushing 40 players leaving since the 1994/95 season. If I can count it is 37 guys in 16 season. that is 2.3 per year. Is that remotely close to other programs?

I think you're unfairly painting with a very broad brush here.

It seems the tenor of your post is that Capel isn't to blame for recruiting the wrong guys because (a) AAU makes most players spoiled and undisciplined and (b) recruiting is a guessing game.

I don't disagree that there are some kids out there that are undisciplined, not fundamentally sound, etc.

Just because there are some recruiting busts from time-to-time doesn't necessarily mean it's a "guessing game." Talent (and personality) evaluation is the main part of recruiting for most coaches.

What would OSU's list look like?

Unfortunately you left off Prince Fowler (I think that was his name, he played one season and was originally recruited by Tubbs). That is an unbelievably long list. When you add in the 14 guys under Capel that left early or transferred and the three that were released OU is pushing 40 players leaving since the 1994/95 season. If I can count it is 37 guys in 16 season. that is 2.3 per year. Is that remotely close to other programs?

Yes I did forget Prince Fowler. Oops. I also did not list Shon Alexander, Corey Saffold, and Maurice McCree, who were Tubbs recruits that transferred in the first month of practices under Sampson in 1994.

Also I was looking for an old article on LexisNexis last night and I ran across this story from 1996:

What's the Point?

Sampson signed three point guards to letters of intent last season
- Daryl Kelsey, Tony Heard and Tim Heskett.

"Right now, I'm batting .333," Sampson said. "That's not bad in
baseball. But it's not real good when it comes to getting players
in here to play."

Kelsey's eligibility with the Sooners remains in doubt. He is
taking a full schedule of classes at Southern Union State Junior
College in Wadley, Ala., and must graduate before he can enroll at
OU. If Kesley qualifies, the earliest he would become eligible to
play for the Sooners would be against Purdue on Dec. 21.

Heard, a product of John Marshall High School, was one-half
credit shy in a core curriculum and failed to gain acceptance from
the NCAA clearing house. He is enrolled at the College of Southern
Idaho.

I am an obsessive about OU basketball but for some reason I have absolutely no memory of Daryl Kelsey. Does anyone else remember him? Who else recruited him, etc. In any event, he's another guy that signed who never made it at OU.

I think we kinda forget about some of those because Sampson still found ways to win. Capel is having a hard time winning.

Does anyone know what OSU list would look like? I honestly have no idea.

Torin Walker
Ibrahima Thomas
Malcoln Kirkland
Teeng Akol
Brad Garrett (injury)
Martavius Adams
Kenny Cooper
Torre Johnson
Jamaal Brown
Roderick Flemings
Gary Flowers (kind of, never played a game before was arrested)
Frans Steyn
Onye Ibekwe
Julian Richardson
Jason Keep
Jack Marlow
Aaron Hill
Ellis Kidd
David Anderson

That's back to 99-00, when looking at statsheet.com (great website by the way), and further back than that I don't remember the reasons why some guys might have left.

Pretty ugly collection of talent though.

How many people felt before today that Taylor would not be at least an average Big 12 player before he graduates. How many felt he could not have helped the team even this season. If you did I haven't seen many posts saying those things.

This hurts. He was probably the #2 recruit in this years incoming group.

How many people felt before today that Taylor would not be at least an average Big 12 player before he graduates. How many felt he could not have helped the team even this season. If you did I haven't seen many posts saying those things.

This hurts. He was probably the #2 recruit in this years incoming group.

This is my impression as well. From what I'd read he was a gamer who wanted to play at OU. Now it seems he got lost in the shuffle of recruiting and getting these guys ready. OU is weak now because of player losses. Shouldn't this coach realize you have to do whatever it takes to keep a kid like this in the program, now more than ever? My analogy is Cade. If we lost Cade after his 1st 3 months on campus before we'd seen him play, few would have thought much of it. But think if we didn't have him right now, how much worse this team would be! We just lost a key piece for future years and that can't be replaced because we can't go back in time and re-recruit seniors of 2010.

Back