Why is OU's D so bad?

buttermaker1

Reaction score
We gave up 100 points to Houston. We won't make the NIT playing this brand of Basketball. The OU D is terrible we won't beat anyone with this D.

In my opinion, we have a bunch of Freshmen learning the difference between AAU ball and division 1 basketball. Our upper classmen aren't being affective leaders to help the trasition either. Hopefully they learn to play together as a team on both sides of the ball before too much of the season is lost.

In my opinion, we have a bunch of Freshmen learning the difference between AAU ball and division 1 basketball. Our upper classmen aren't being affective leaders to help the trasition either. Hopefully they learn to play together as a team on both sides of the ball before too much of the season is lost.

Agreed.

Some of us said long before the season started that defense, along with rebounding, were our biggest concerns. There were too many new faces to expect this team to be good defensively right out of the gate. I think they will in time, but it's going to take a lot of work.

+1

They will learn. I imagine that it is a bigger diffenence they they had anticipated. If we cut the turnovers in half we win this one. Eighteen turnovers was WAY too many.

I don't think anyone expected the defense to be THIS bad.

Adjusting to Division 1, should still be no excuse for not blocking out, AT ALL, ever.

No coaching. Absolutely none. This would have never happened under Sampson or Tubbs. Both are undefeated with the same team and the same schedule. Jeff Capel better figure out what his team's identity is going to be or he is not going to last at OU.

No coaching. Absolutely none. This would have never happened under Sampson or Tubbs. Both are undefeated with the same team and the same schedule. Jeff Capel better figure out what his team's identity is going to be or he is not going to last at OU.

The Sooners' loss was their third straight. The last time OU lost three straight non-conference games was during the 1995-96 season (began 1-3 under Kelvin Sampson).

I think Jeff's doing okay.

Your right. I appologize for jumping the gun like that.

In 1996 OU lost to 3 majors Georgia Tech, Texas Tech and Purdue. Tech was actually respectable for a few years in the 1990s, I am not sure if that was the time or not.

Capel lost to three mid-majors. I am extremely worried this guy can only recruit.

Adjusting to Division 1, should still be no excuse for not blocking out, AT ALL, ever.

I don't think it is an excuse. I just think it is what it is. Nobody blocks out or plays defense in AAU ball. These kids are acting like they are just out playing in an AAU tournament or something.

It is the coach's responsibility to get the kids to play hard. If he doesn't, then he is not doing his job. It is a little early to be jumping on Capel but this is his biggest challenge since being at OU. It will be interesting to see how the team improves over the coming weeks. I will be happy if he can just get the guys to play as a team because I think that is our biggest problem.

Agreed.

Some of us said long before the season started that defense, along with rebounding, were our biggest concerns. There were too many new faces to expect this team to be good defensively right out of the gate. I think they will in time, but it's going to take a lot of work.

I don't understand this comment. Defense is easy to play if D is important in a program. Clearly playing shut down D has not been part of the gameplan.

If you don't guard you don't play thats what my play book said. We didn't care about hitting 41 3's.

This D style resulted in double digits losses to VCU, San Diego and Houston? Not everyone on the roster is a freshman this has the potential to get really ugly.

It was the 95-96 season they started 1-3. Not sure if you read about it being 94 or not in my home page recap. I initially had it wrong and changed it to 95-96. So that's my bad. It was late though when I wrote that and I was angry after the loss, so that's my excuse. :)

I don't understand this comment. Defense is easy to play if D is important in a program. Clearly playing shut down D has not been part of the gameplan.

If you don't guard you don't play thats what my play book said. We didn't care about hitting 41 3's.

This D style resulted in double digits losses to VCU, San Diego and Houston? Not everyone on the roster is a freshman this has the potential to get really ugly.

I'm not sure what there is to understand about playing four freshmen and two second-year players with very little experience? Talent in high school does not always translate into solid defense at the college level. I think in time this team will come together defensively. But, defense is a team thing, and you're only as good as your weakest link. OU has too many of those right now.

I just hope the weakest link isn't the coach. This team should play better defense. Defense really hasn't been a strength in the last 3 years. There are lots of ways to play defense. It doesn't have to be hard nosed man to man like Sampson did or trapping, pressure like Tubbs did but you have to have an identity.

I just hope the weakest link isn't the coach. This team should play better defense. Defense really hasn't been a strength in the last 3 years. There are lots of ways to play defense. It doesn't have to be hard nosed man to man like Sampson did or trapping, pressure like Tubbs did but you have to have an identity.

Jeff proved he can coach last year.

Correct and this team's D identity is soft, no team appears to fear our D.

Back