Why Travis Ford's contract has been a burden for him and OSU

SoonerTraveler

Reaction score
http://newsok.com/why-travis-fords-contract-has-been-a-burden-for-him-and-osu/article/3948498

Oklahoma State basketball: Why Travis Ford's contract has been a burden for him and OSU
By Berry Tramel; Published: March 29, 2014 (The Oklahoman)

EXCERPT:

In September 2009, OSU announced a contract extension for its basketball coach that in effect created a 10-year contract. Good through 2019. Escalating salary. All kinds of perks. No buyout for the university, and a stiff buyout ($3 million) for Ford, should he jump to another job.

Almost five years later, that contract is an albatross, preventing OSU from a coaching change it likely otherwise would make. And while that contract probably has kept Ford employed, it’s also been a burden.

“In retrospect, it wasn’t good for him or us,” Holder said.

Players are bewildered at what went wrong, fans are fed up, the entire vibe around Cowboy basketball is toxic and Ford has five years left on that contract.

OSU is bound to Ford for $2.25 million in 2014-15 and $2.4 million each of the four seasons after that. That’s $11.85 million over five years.

http://newsok.com/why-travis-fords-contract-has-been-a-burden-for-him-and-osu/article/3948498

Last edited:
From listening to him on the radio and reading his articles concerning that school, I have a feeling Berry has been wanting to write that article for a long time. He actually could have written that article once a year since that ridiculous person was signed to that ridiculous contract. Glad we have who we have and they have who they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Signing 10 year contracts is a bad idea.

Signing 10 year contracts is a bad idea.

Right! The burden is on the idiotic decision by Holder and Booger to sign this guy for 10 years! osu should run off Holder and Booger but that will NEVER happen!

Kentucky was never going to hire this squirt for their head coach when he had very little experience and success. Holder and Booger struck out big time with this mess.

He didnt do anything to deserve that contract. That's the ridiculous part. He inheritated a good squad with Eaton, muonelo, harris and anderson and he dismantled it. Running off his bigs so he could put a sg at the 4 position. He constantly puts guys out of position. Forte and page are pgs. Nash is a sf not a pf. Moses wasnt a center. Williams is not a 4.

Holder should get the boot first. He gave a 10 yr extension to a guy that barely made the NCAA tournament.

He didnt do anything to deserve that contract. That's the ridiculous part. He inheritated a good squad with Eaton, muonelo, harris and anderson and he dismantled it. Running off his bigs so he could put a sg at the 4 position. He constantly puts guys out of position. Forte and page are pgs. Nash is a sf not a pf. Moses wasnt a center. Williams is not a 4.

Holder should get the boot first. He gave a 10 yr extension to a guy that barely made the NCAA tournament.

Nash is better for OSU playing the 4. Forte and Page are/were not PG's although Forte may play some there some next season. Brian Williams is sort of lost wherever he goes. Great athlete not great basketball player.

I like Ford, he's had a rough run, albeit some of if his own fault. Next season will likely be his last. Firing the guy with the third best winning % in school history is a risk that may not pay off.

I hope/think he'll make some staff changes, hopefully replacing Coach Ferguson with James Dickey.

Ford's problem is discipline. There is no question in my mind that the guy knows the game. His teams are capable of playing great defense. They are also capable of running some nice offensive sets. The problem is that they only do it for a few minutes per game because of lack of discipline. The problem with discipline is that it requires a concerted consistent effort to instill it. It is one thing to learn defensive and offensive sets. It is quite another to implement them. IMO discipline is what seperates they great ones from the run of the mill ones at the college level. The bottom line is ever college coach has forgot more about basketball than any of us message boarders know. Some just aren't leaders.

He's just doing what he's told to do by his corporate master.

Nash is better for OSU playing the 4. Forte and Page are/were not PG's although Forte may play some there some next season. Brian Williams is sort of lost wherever he goes. Great athlete not great basketball player.

I like Ford, he's had a rough run, albeit some of if his own fault. Next season will likely be his last. Firing the guy with the third best winning % in school history is a risk that may not pay off.

I hope/think he'll make some staff changes, hopefully replacing Coach Ferguson with James Dickey.

Why go backwards with James Dickey? He was part of the mess Ford inherited. Plenty of blame for Ford, but you can't ignore what happened before he came along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford's problem is discipline. There is no question in my mind that the guy knows the game. His teams are capable of playing great defense. They are also capable of running some nice offensive sets. The problem is that they only do it for a few minutes per game because of lack of discipline. The problem with discipline is that it requires a concerted consistent effort to instill it. It is one thing to learn defensive and offensive sets. It is quite another to implement them. IMO discipline is what seperates they great ones from the run of the mill ones at the college level. The bottom line is ever college coach has forgot more about basketball than any of us message boarders know. Some just aren't leaders.

Nice post, earl. Same can be said for Felton Jeffrey Capel III.

I disagree on Nash. He's not a good 4 defender. He gets into foul trouble alot playing the 4. And he's a mismatch for a wing.

James Dickey is a better assistant coach than most he's certainly a better assistant than Ferguson (who also was part of the Sean Sutton mess)

Nash is not a good defender period. But offensively he's much more efficient at the 4 than the 3. I'd rather him not going back to taking outside shots.

James Dickey is a better assistant coach than most he's certainly a better assistant than Ferguson (who also was part of the Sean Sutton mess)

Nash is not a good defender period. But offensively he's much more efficient at the 4 than the 3. I'd rather him not going back to taking outside shots.

He's going back to shooting 3s or he will transfer. Ford has killed his draft stock

Nash isn't going to transfer. He'll either play his senior season at OSU or he's going pro.

Ford screwed his pro potential. I bet he wishes he had gone to KU.

Give me a break.

I'm not a Travis Ford supporter, but how, exactly, did Ford "screw his pro potential?"

Nash is a classic "tweener" that can be very good in college, but is probably not going to do much in the NBA. I'm not sure how Travis Ford was going to change that.

Is Holder stupid? How is a 10 year contract with no buy out for OSU a bad deal for Ford?

And this is the problem with OsU basketball. Travis Ford is the 3rd best coach in school history. It's given the fan base an unrealistic set of expectations.

Back