Will McCay help with Releford?

atlantasooner

Reaction score
OU just got Justin McCay, big time WR from Bishop Miege.

I wonder if it will help with Releford.

OU just got Justin McCay, big time WR from Bishop Miege.

I wonder if it will help with Releford.

Definitely could. I posted an interview with McCay a week or so ago where he said he and Releford were best friends.

Releford is maybe the hottest PG prospect in basketball. Not neccessarily because of his skill level, but moreso because alot of schools are looking for PGs and their is a shortage on pure 4 year PGs out their.

Releford is maybe the hottest PG prospect in basketball. Not neccessarily because of his skill level, but moreso because alot of schools are looking for PGs and their is a shortage on pure 4 year PGs out their.

Glad to see you coming around on my boy Releford. Kid is going to be a player.

Glad to see you coming around on my boy Releford. Kid is going to be a player.

I never questioned his ability and still don't really know it. But if you have guys like McCallum and Pressey go off the board then you have to go after someone else. He's probably pretty close to Pressey skillwise. Pressey has probably the better top end speed and probably more of a playmaker. I wouldn't mind a combo guard like Scott instead of a pg. I think TJ and Scott might be able to be groomed into serviceable backups. I'm more worried about this post position right now though.

I never questioned his ability and still don't really know it.

You've underestimated him all along. You called his visit to OU a tag along with McCay and made it seem like OU hoops could care less he was there. And you said you'd rather have TJ Taylor play the point.
That's seriously underestimating Trevor Releford.
The new ESPN rankings have him #49 in the country and the same 95 grade as Ray McCallum
Kid can play.

Last edited:
You've underestimated him all along. You called his visit to OU a tag along with McCay and made it seem like OU hoops could care less he was there. And you said you'd rather have TJ Taylor play the point.
The new ESPN rankings have him #49 in the country and the same 95 grade as Ray McCallum
Kid can play.

What do you call a car trip with the number #2 ranked WR in the Country? He wasn't offered on his trip. I don't know the kid from adam, but if three other PGs had an offer and he didn't, it is right to assume he was a backup plan. Now, he's a pretty heavily recruited guy. Infact moreso than the elite PGs because many of them have narrowed their list to 3 or 4 schools. Again, I still would rather see TJ play point or another combo guard like Scott. I think that give you a little more flexibility and you can get good players more minutes that way. My main reason for wanting to see TJ play point was to free up ships for other positions, like the post.

What do you call a car trip with the number #2 ranked WR in the Country?
I wouldn't say a top 50 player in hoops was a "tag along". And I'm quite certain Capel wouldn't say that either.

He wasn't offered on his trip.
Who knows why? It wasn't because he's not good enough.
Capel wasn't there so maybe that is why he wasn't offered.

I don't know the kid from adam, but if three other PGs had an offer and he didn't, it is right to assume he was a backup plan.
Maybe they hadn't evaluated him enough. OU is still in on those other PG's and he has an offer now. I don't think Perry Ellis has an offer yet from OU.
Doesn't mean a thing.

Again, I still would rather see TJ play point or another combo guard like Scott. I think that give you a little more flexibility and you can get good players more minutes that way.
Good players more minutes? Releford is good. In fact in most services he's rated higher than TJ Taylor. And Releford is a true PG. I'm not sure Taylor can play the point at the high major level and be very effective.

Good players more minutes? Releford is good. In fact in most services he's rated higher than TJ Taylor. And Releford is a true PG. I'm not sure Taylor can play the point at the high major level and be very effective.
[/QUOTE]

Releford would have to split time with TMG. Taylor could play some 2 if he is groomed to play the point. That's why I made the comment about Scott because you can bring both of those guys in and see which one is able to be a backup point. If TMG is able to carry the load at PG, you wouldn't need a player playing heavy PG. If you look at your favorite team, they did quite well with three combo guards filling in at the point in Reed, Morningstar, and Taylor.

Releford would have to split time with TMG. Taylor could play some 2 if he is groomed to play the point. That's why I made the comment about Scott because you can bring both of those guys in and see which one is able to be a backup point. If TMG is able to carry the load at PG, you wouldn't need a player playing heavy PG. If you look at your favorite team, they did quite well with three combo guards filling in at the point in Reed, Morningstar, and Taylor.[/QUOTE]

They also won a national championship with 3 PG's rotating between the 1 & 2 in Robinson, Collins & Chalmers. Releford and TMG could play a lot together. TMG is a scorer. If I'm a defense I fear TMG and Releford together more than Taylor and TMG. Releford and TMG would put immense pressure on a defense. And defensively pressuring the ball....wow!

DirtyMess just give up. Quit backtracking.

Go find the post. As a matter of fact I ended the post by saying I'm glad that we can Argue about a prospect like Releford when in the past he would be are headliner. My position has never changed in regards to rather having a combo guard instead of a pure pg. I still believe it was a tag along trip or atleast a trip of 80/20 McCay for its purpose. McCay was the headliner in that trip. If McCay helps us get Releford, I'm OK with that. I'd much rather have Releford than some Juco PG or a lesser kid like Ross-Miller. I'd rather us however get in on a verastyle post player that can step away from the basket some, drive a little and has 18ft of range. Problem is the guys that have those characteristics are Harris and Jones and they are being pursued heavily. Other problem is Releford is being pursued just as heavily as those guys.

New interview with James Hale has Releford stating OU and Alabama are his top two schools.

Go find the post. As a matter of fact I ended the post by saying I'm glad that we can Argue about a prospect like Releford when in the past he would be are headliner. My position has never changed in regards to rather having a combo guard instead of a pure pg. I still believe it was a tag along trip or atleast a trip of 80/20 McCay for its purpose. McCay was the headliner in that trip. If McCay helps us get Releford, I'm OK with that. I'd much rather have Releford than some Juco PG or a lesser kid like Ross-Miller. I'd rather us however get in on a verastyle post player that can step away from the basket some, drive a little and has 18ft of range. Problem is the guys that have those characteristics are Harris and Jones and they are being pursued heavily. Other problem is Releford is being pursued just as heavily as those guys.

DirtyMess just give up. Quit backtracking.

Kid can play.

The power of the googler.

http://ouhoops.com/showthread.php?t=7379&page=2

Certainly is, which is why I'm not being down on him as a player. If you go back to the second post, I'm not sold on him being less of a player than Pressey, because from the numbers, it seems as if he's a better perimeter shooter than Pressey, and in Basketball, if a PG can't shoot, coaches tend to pack the lane. Just ask Doug Gottlieb and Dogus Balbay. Personally, he's probably a better recruit than his brother who has turned out to be a one dimensional player with no game 15ft away from the basket. My only comments have been that I'll be reserve to talking about him until he gets an offer. It's indicative that he hasn't gotten one yet since OU has been recruiting this kid for over a year. When and If he does get one, I'll be the first one rooting for OU to get this kid, but until then I'll remain reserved. Personally, if there is a Julian Washburn out their ready to pull the switch, and OU has a chance of getting him and Clark, I'll be more for that.

My point to Grace was he indicated that Releford was heavily involved with OU and he sited a visit Releford made. The thing i tried to get through to him was the visit wasn't a "Releford" visit as much as it was a Justin McCay visit. Releford met with Betts, and judging from the fact that Betts didn't offer and an offer hasn't come down yet, it indicates that OU is very confident about other things. This seems very similar to Micheal Dixon and AJ Walton, PGs that people thought OU would get after and in the end, it never happened. I think if OU gets involved with Releford, Ricky Scott, Dre Evans or Ross-Miller, things aren't going the way they hoped. Grace had a similar post about OU being interested in GJ Vilarino and that didn't pan out with OU having any interest in him. Now in Releford's case there definetely is interest, but obviously not enough to yeild an offer.

Yes, the power of the googler. Dirty why did you highlight those two comments you made about him and that's it? What about these from your same link you provided above:

There's a difference between offers and interest. One of my teammates got over 100 letters and coaches to see him play all the time. When it came down to a big offer, Bill Self and Tubby Smith were the only ones to offer. Of course they were at ORU and Tulsa at the time. The interview that you quoted Grace said that he made an unofficial. He did and talked to Betts. His friend, and top 100 WR Justin McCay made the trip with him. Basically, Releford was a tag along with McCay, who is the number one WR prospect for OU. If the offer comes, that means that OU is in bad shape with Pressey, McCallum and maybe Clark in my opinion. Right now Releford looked real developmental from that tape. I see the talent there, but he doesn't seem natural at the point. Now a 3min tape isn't fair evaluation, but if he is a developmental type PG, why not develop TJ, who's already a guy who is very stong with the ball and can get to the rim alot better than Releford.

Sounds like there you underestimated Releford. Just admit you were. It's okay. Kid is a top 50 recruit now on ESPN.
He's not an after thought. He's not a tag along. He's a very good player.

Back