Willie Warren at the point

bocabull

Banned
Reaction score
I think he is going to play more point than people expect.

PG - WW
SG - Ray Willis
SF - Tony Crocker
PF - Ryan Wright
C - Keith Gallon

That is my projected best starting lineup. TMG will be a good player but if we want to win a lot of games it won't be with a true frosh playing the majority of minutes at PG. We might start out that way but like Calipari did at Memphis with Tyreke Evans Capel will have WW running point more often than not.

People have been expecting him to run the point the second we lost to UNC.

PG - WW
SG - Ray Willis
SF - Tony Crocker
PF - Ryan Wright
C - Keith Gallon

That is my projected best starting lineup. TMG will be a good player but if we want to win a lot of games it won't be with a true frosh playing the majority of minutes at PG. We might start out that way but like Calipari did at Memphis with Tyreke Evans Capel will have WW running point more often than not.

um...wasn't Tyreke Evans a freshman?

I still see TMG as a starter even if Willie is handling the ball more/running the offense. He is still a deadly spot up shooter on the wing even if playing off the ball and if Tony can become conistent from deep you have 3 guys who shoot it from deep in the starting line up (4 if Tiny can hit the 3 as well). Also if TMG is on the court then the defense has to respect his range and that will open up the court for Willie to drive more so then Ray because Ray isn't as much of a 3 point shooter.

I still see TMG as a starter even if Willie is handling the ball more/running the offense. He is still a deadly spot up shooter on the wing even if playing off the ball and if Tony can become conistent from deep you have 3 guys who shoot it from deep in the starting line up (4 if Tiny can hit the 3 as well). Also if TMG is on the court then the defense has to respect his range and that will open up the court for Willie to drive more so then Ray because Ray isn't as much of a 3 point shooter.

^
This. Willie will handle the ball on nearly every possession no matter who is designated to play the point.

I think the starting lineup to begin the season will be TMG, WW, Tony and Tiny, with Wright, Allen and Fitz fighting for that fifth spot. If TMG and T Crock aren't hitting their outside shots, or they are turning the ball over, look for Davis and/or Pledger to get an early call from the bench.

I really like the depth and versatility in our back court. We'll have five guards/wings (six if Ray improves his perimeter game) who are very capable of knocking down shots from deep.

PG - WW
SG - Ray Willis
SF - Tony Crocker
PF - Ryan Wright
C - Keith Gallon

That is my projected best starting lineup.

(Whoops, messed up the quote, sorry) Here's my response.

I won't be surprised if Ray Willis doesn't start a game all year. And I'd be willing to bet that he doesn't start from day one, unless we have an injury or two.

Not only would TMG have to be injured or be a major flop, but Willis would have to jump Cade Davis in PT......that is if he is able to beat out Pledger.

No matter if TMG is a freshman. He was brought here to be the point guard from day one. He will play the point. With that said. Willie will probably be a point in the the league, so trust Coach Capel. He knows exactly how to interchange TMG and Willie enough to where the scouts will be able to see that Willie can play the point. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:tmg:willie922_jpg_xs::jcapel

No matter if TMG is a freshman. He was brought here to be the point guard from day one. He will play the point.
THANK YOU!

With that said. Willie will probably be a point in the the league, so trust Coach Capel. He knows exactly how to interchange TMG and Willie enough to where the scouts will be able to see that Willie can play the point. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!
Good post.

:kelvin :jcapel

^
This. Willie will handle the ball on nearly every possession no matter who is designated to play the point.

I think the starting lineup to begin the season will be TMG, WW, Tony and Tiny, with Wright, Allen and Fitz fighting for that fifth spot. If TMG and T Crock aren't hitting their outside shots, or they are turning the ball over, look for Davis and/or Pledger to get an early call from the bench.

I really like the depth and versatility in our back court. We'll have five guards/wings (six if Ray improves his perimeter game) who are very capable of knocking down shots from deep.

Cade Davis took a lot more shots but he and Willis shot about the same from 3 point range. I agree that Willis has to beat out Cade Davis but I think people are writing off Willis a bit too fast.

PG - WW
SG - Ray Willis (Steven Pledger)
SF - Tony Crocker
PF - Ryan Wright
C - Keith Gallon

If WW, play's the point that means Pledger Starts...plain and simple...I know he's a freshman, but he will "complement" WW better then any other player on the roster...6'4 or 5", can spot up and shoot, pass, defend rebound and play solid "D"...He will allow WW to roam on "D" and get steals...A better "team" defender then people realize...He know's how to win, wont have to score to be happy, but will kill you from anywhere in the gym if you sleep on him...

OU HEAD COACH JEFF CAPEL ON STEVEN PLEDGER:
"We're really excited about Steven. I think he's one of the more underrated guys in the country. He's a basketball player. He can really, really shoot the ball and he has a very good feel for the game. He already has good size at 6-4 and close to 200 pounds. He just knows how to play. He's got a very even-keeled game - doesn't get too high, doesn't get too low. I think he has a chance to be a really good defender. I also think he's going to complement every guy we have on our team.

"His best strength is that he's a dynamic shooter. Sometimes those types of players aren't as willing to defend as you want them to be because they want to get to the other end and get the ball back. But he loves to defend. Offensively, he can also get to the basket and he's a tremendous passer. Those other pieces of his game make him so valuable."

He entered the Boo Williams Invitational with merely a regional reputation but exited that event with a national name, after his accurate long-range jump shooting, solid ball-handling and defense, and four consecutive clutch free throws in the final minute helped the Boo Williams Summer League All-Stars win the 17-under championship, he also guarded X. Henry in this game and held him too 4 - 13 from the feild. Though the rest of his game isn't bad, it's his sweet three-point stroke that caught the attention of college recruiters this spring. That long-range touch should continue to be his meal ticket, though he's also a good athlete.

Awesome Sharp. Maybe it's Pledger who fills that 2 spot. My reasoning for selecting Willis was that I think Cade is limited and somebody will beat him out to be at the 2 when WW is up top.

So let me update my projection to:

PG - WW or TMG
SG - WW or Pledger/TMG
SF - Crocker
PF - Ryan Wright
C - Keith Gallon

I really like Wright as a PF who runs the floor, rebounds and defends. He showed some great athletic ability defending and rebounding last year. We shouldn't need much offense from him with the other firepower we roll out.

not sure why some expect this strict PG,SG,SF etc... setup. Coach has never seemed to buy into that and I agree with others here who see WW and TMG both on the floor.

not sure why some expect this strict PG,SG,SF etc... setup. Coach has never seemed to buy into that and I agree with others here who see WW and TMG both on the floor.

One reason why you might not see WW & TMG on the floor at the same time is defence...With some of the big guards in the BIg12...or the hybrid wings...who will TMg guard at 5'9"?

One reason why you might not see WW & TMG on the floor at the same time is defence...With some of the big guards in the BIg12...or the hybrid wings...who will TMg guard at 5'9"?

He isn't the smallest PG we've ever had. He would look down to Lavender.

Keiton Page, Ray Penn, a host of guys at Mizzou, Jai Lucas, BJ Holmes etc, etc, etc.....

Here are some Height and Possible Big 12 Match Ups for TMG
Texas
Balbay 6'0
Lucas 5'11

Baylor
Carter 5'11

Texas Tech
John Roberson 5'11

Texas A&M
BJ Holmes 5'10
Dash Harris 6'0

Oklahoma St
Dowell 6'1
Gulley 6'2
Penn 5'9
Page 5'10

Kansas
Collins 5'11
Elijah Johnson 6'2

Kansas St
Jacob Pullen 6'0
Clemente 6'1

Iowa St
Colvin 6'2

Missouri
Tiller 6'3
Denmon 6'2
Paul 6'1
Dixon 6'0

Nebraska
Henry 6'3
Gallegos 6'3

Colorado
Thorne 6'2
Tomlinson 6'2
Sharpe 6'0

TMG has to have some experience in guarding taller Guards from his AAU time so I think with the the players listed here he won't have too much of a match up problem.

I thought the perimeter was Ray's best asset Ada?

When did I say that, boca? I would not call someone who made 7 of 21 shots from three (33%) a great perimeter shooter.

The best part of Ray's game is his versatility and ability to score. He definitely has some offensive skills. Problem is, many of his attempts to score were one on one moves performed outside our offensive sets. If he has corrected that flaw and dedicated himself to working hard on an off the court, he could really help us this season.

This. It's so yesterday to have A PG....A SG....A SF.
It's called combo guards...I don't want one guy on the floor that can handle the rock. TMG & WW will play a ton of minutes together and make each other better. I see TMG starting from day one and if he doesn't it won't be at the sake of Ray Willis. At this point I'd say Willis is the 6th perimeter player.

Back to the subject matter, last year when WW handled the ball outfront, I thought he was at his best. Made big plays passing and scoring when he did that. He made the occasional overplay.

Back