WVU is 3-0, but not dominating

thebigabd

Reaction score
They beat Western Kentucky by 6, South Dakota State by 8, and VCU by 12.

You would expect a top 15 team to do better.

Their team basically has two components to it.... The two studs in the paint (Culver and Oscar), and 3 guards (McBride, Sherman, and McNeil)... They aren't getting much outside of that. They don't appear to be getting any production outside of these guys.

• Oscar averaging 8 points and 9 rebounds through 3 games.
  • Culver averaging 15 points and 10 rebounds through 3 games.
  • McBride averaging 16 and 3 from the point guard spot
  • Taz Sherman averaging 12, 1, and 1 from the shooting guard spot
  • Sean McNeil averaging 14 and 3 from the other guard spot

Tshiebewe is a preseason first team all big 12 performer, but he's averaging 7 and 8, shooting in the 45% range from the field as a close-to-the-basket big, shooting 45% from the free throw line, and only blocking .3 shots per game.

He's either out of shape, injured, or just has not progressed at all since last year. If it's the latter, they are not going to reach the ceiling people thought they could this year. He was supposed to be dominant.

Tshiebewe is a preseason first team all big 12 performer, but he's averaging 7 and 8, shooting in the 45% range from the field as a close-to-the-basket big, shooting 45% from the free throw line, and only blocking .3 shots per game.

He's either out of shape, injured, or just has not progressed at all since last year. If it's the latter, they are not going to reach the ceiling people thought they could this year. He was supposed to be dominant.

He was inconsistent last year, it seemed. I saw him dominate once or twice but there were other games in which I saw him play that he didn't impress. Would hate for OU to catch him on a hot night, though.

just like in football, results are going to be weird this year. I wouldn't take much from early game

People may or may not know this, but I am a fan of the Denver Nuggets... I lived in Denver, worked right by the Pepsi Center, and we went to games every now and then....

The reason this is relevant because Culver and Tshiebewe remind me of Jokic and Nurkic... Denver found two diamonds in the rough from overseas. Both are OUTSTANDING players. Jusuf Nurkic and and Nikola Jokic. But they just didn't work together. Nurkic is a true center, and they tried to move Jokic to power forward and nothing ever worked... They just weren't efficient. They made each other worse by being on the floor at the same time.

After watching WVU last year, and seeing them again this year, I wonder if having Culver and Oscar on the floor at the same isn't the same thing. That they don't compliment each other. They don't space the floor well or something.

Denver ended up trading Nurkic to Portland, and things got better for both teams immediately. It just had to be done. They didn't work together.

Back