WW vs Kobe

bocabull

Banned
Reaction score
Edmond made the first rational point about WW on these threads. His situation is very similar to Kobe 3 years ago. He knows the team around him is not good enough to win right now, so he can either force shots and be called a ball hog, or he can defer to his teammates and let them prove if they belong or not.

It's a no win situation in the short term but as Kobe has proven can be a winning solution in the long run. The teammates that step up and prove they belong are better and more experienced, the ones that don't belong are replaced with other people.

It worked for Kobe and it can work for WW. I was hard on Kobe but his way worked. Maybe that is why I see no reason to get on WW. I've seen him play, I know what he can do just like Kobe's supporters did.

Whose to say Capel is not on board with this? Whose to say locking the team out of the locker room was focused on the other guys and not Willie at all? Whose to say it won't work?

So I will continue to point out who I think can't play and needs to be replaced. Well except for one guy who I have been ordered not to discuss anymore. Everybody already knows I think he who shall not be named should not play much.

Edmond made the first rational point about WW on these threads. His situation is very similar to Kobe 3 years ago. He knows the team around him is not good enough to win right now, so he can either force shots and be called a ball hog, or he can defer to his teammates and let them prove if they belong or not.

It's a no win situation in the short term but as Kobe has proven can be a winning solution in the long run. The teammates that step up and prove they belong are better and more experienced, the ones that don't belong are replaced with other people.

It worked for Kobe and it can work for WW. I was hard on Kobe but his way worked. Maybe that is why I see no reason to get on WW. I've seen him play, I know what he can do just like Kobe's supporters did.

Whose to say Capel is not on board with this? Whose to say locking the team out of the locker room was focused on the other guys and not Willie at all? Whose to say it won't work?

So I will continue to point out who I think can't play and needs to be replaced. Well except for one guy who I have been ordered not to discuss anymore. Everybody already knows I think he who shall not be named should not play much.

The difference is that Kobe never stopped producing consistently. He may have pouted for a game but his competitive drive never dipped like WW's has this year.

The attitude may be similar but the talent isn't close. WW isn't good enough to do that.

Kobe outside of his first 2 or 3 years in the league has always averaged over 20+ a game and been one of the best in the game. You can't say any of that with WW right now.

If Willie's only problem was forcing shots on offense this might be a good analogy but unfortunately it's not. Throughout the seasons you reference, Kobe remained one of the best on-ball defenders and fiercest competitors in the NBA. The same can not be said of WW.

Kobe outside of his first 2 or 3 years in the league has always averaged over 20+ a game and been one of the best in the game. You can't say any of that with WW right now.

Really? You might want to check who has scored the second most points of any freshman in OU history. You might want to check who was the only unanimous Big XII freshman of the year in history.

While you're at it who leads us in scoring right now?

Boca are you Willie's PR man or something? This is getting ridiculous.

And when he does, he tries to tie unrated facts into the point he is trying to make.

I think this opinion hits on a lot of truth. I've been saying the same thing from early in the season. I don't think it is conscious on WW part, but as a competitor, I think there is subconscious at work.

What do you want him to do? He is substantially better than the other players on this team. It's not all his fault.

Last edited:
I think this opinion hits on a lot of truth. I've been saying the same thing from early in the season. I don't think it is conscious on WW part, but as a competitor, I think there is subconscious at work.

What do you want him to do? He is substantially better than the other players on this team. It's not all his fault
Can you reword this post?

Last edited:
Really? You might want to check who has scored the second most points of any freshman in OU history. You might want to check who was the only unanimous Big XII freshman of the year in history.

That was last year! No one is questioning the WW from last year! We are questioning WW this year and trust me if it was only ON THE COURT issues your analogy would be good but its not.

I don't think anyone is trying to compare WW to Kobe.

They may be comparing the situation Kobe had in the post Shaq era of LA hoops to the post Blake era of OU hoops.

I'm not taking sides. Just putting things into perspective. :)

It's an awkward comparison, but it's a message board and I see quite a few awkward observations on here.

Back