Yesterday

WichitaSooner

Reaction score
To me, the key to why we were able to play so well and nearly pull off the win was simple: lack of turnovers. Yes, we played hard, but I feel like we have done that most the season. The difference is that we didn’t allow KU a bunch of easy baskets due to careless turnovers. We came into the game intending to walk the ball up the floor, run clock, and turn it into a halfcourt game. The seven-minute stretch where we couldn’t score obviously cost us the game. The most frustrating part was once Groves made the three to put us up 57-52, we got four straight stops and had plenty of chances to extend the lead. I knew during that stretch that we were going to lose because that was our opportunity to really seize the game.

I hope every guy on the team realizes that yesterday shows what we can do if we don’t turn it over. Valuing the ball stopped KU from getting probably 10 cheap points, and also gave us about eight more possessions than we’ve had in some games.

To me, the key to why we were able to play so well and nearly pull off the win was simple: lack of turnovers. Yes, we played hard, but I feel like we have done that most the season. The difference is that we didn’t allow KU a bunch of easy baskets due to careless turnovers. We came into the game intending to walk the ball up the floor, run clock, and turn it into a halfcourt game. The seven-minute stretch where we couldn’t score obviously cost us the game. The most frustrating part was once Groves made the three to put us up 57-52, we got four straight stops and had plenty of chances to extend the lead. I knew during that stretch that we were going to lose because that was our opportunity to really seize the game.

I hope every guy on the team realizes that yesterday shows what we can do if we don’t turn it over. Valuing the ball stopped KU from getting probably 10 cheap points, and also gave us about eight more possessions than we’ve had in some games.

Two things, they didn't turn it over and they made shots. If you do those things and you defend and hustle like we do then you can win some games.

I agree. If we take care of the ball, we have a chance to win any game. When we turn the ball over, we struggle to beat anyone.

Valuing the ball helped, but the fact that we almost won the game can be summed up in two words: Goldwire and Harkless – the players most posters here consider to be worthless.

Valuing the ball helped, but the fact that we almost won the game can be summed up in two words: Goldwire and Harkless – the players most posters here consider to be worthless.

Not sure that’s true. Goldwire got hot late but up till that point, he was great primarily because he wasn’t turning it over and was controlling tempo. Harkless scored 12 points on 12 shots and missed five of his seven threes, including a couple wide open ones. Groves hit some big shots and we never let them go on a big run till the last 10 minutes. I’m the biggest Harkless critic out there but I’ll admit he played far more under control, but he wasn’t one of our two most important players Saturday.

Back