Your first live OU game?

NMSooner'80

Reaction score
Sorry if I've posted this exact query before. But, I keep thinking about some of my first-time experiences with Sooner hoops, even though it all started roughly 34 years ago.

My folks went to OU when they were terrible in hoops, so they never had any interest in taking the family to an OU game at the Field House (which was a dump in the mid-70's). So I figured I'd just go to one on my own, in the first year of the then-new Lloyd Noble Center, when I was a high school senior.

The first game I attended was the OU-OSU game in January of '76. OU won, 57-42, and it was also the Sooners' first-ever win in the building. They had a weird schedule that year, one that I think then-rookie coach Dave Bliss inherited from the fired Joe Ramsey. And as I recall, that was only OU's fourth home game in the new building.

That game also set the mark for the largest attendance for an OU home game, mainly because it was the night the 1975 football national title trophies were awarded to OU at halftime. But, some deceptively good freshman forward named John McCullough started to become the go-to guy, and the OU offense finally started to click in the second half of that Bedlam game.

A couple of weeks later, I came back to Norman for another game - this one against Big 8 champ Missouri, which was an overtime away that year from going to the Final Four. OU rolled them from the opening tip, despite having a team that went only (in height) 6-7, 6-4, 6-4, 6-3 and 5-10. And this then-18-year-old kid from Ardmore became an OU hoops addict right on the spot. :clap

good story NM. i love how you took it upon yourself in high school to get out to a game in the new LNC. those are the kind of experiences that can never be taken away.

i have my pops to thank. i wish i could remember the exact first game i attended. but i was 5 when our family got season tickets for the '84-85 season. i didn't know squat. but i quickly realized the beauty of #23, fully expected shawn clark to one day touch the ceiling because he could jump so high, loved linwood davis because i thought his name was glenwood like my grandfather, and wanted so much to emulate david johnson that i started running with my thumbs up. i'll never forget the bbq beef sandwiches they used to sell and them driving a corvette out near the court at halftime as the prize for the half court shot competition. as archie and edith sang, those were the days.

:billy

I'm glad you enjoyed it. My buddy from AHS, who became my freshman roommate, decided to go with me to the OU-OSU and OSU-Mizzou games. Our high school team also stunk back then (not like it's been lately, like when Jermaine Gresham played for Ardmore), so it's all the more amazing that we both enjoyed ourselves so much.

The Bedlam game was fun, just because it was OSU, and also our first live college game of any sort. But the Mizzou game was incredible, especially given the talent gap between them and OU.

First one I remember (might have went to some before but this is the first one I actually remember) was the 96 All College (of the 96-97 season) don't remember a whole lot given my youth. I remember it was at the old Mariyd(sp?) and TU got the win behind Shea Seals. I remember Nate Erdman and Corey Brewer being good for OU.

This is a tough one for me. It's easy for me to remember some of my favorite games, but to remember my first one was tougher.

I dont know the exact game, but I'm guessing it was either during Billy's last couple of seasons or Kelvin's first season. I remember watching Jeff Webster and Bryan Sallier on TV, but the first players I remember watching in person at the LNC were Ryan Minor and Nate Erdman.

Not sure of the first game, but it was definately mid 80's. I do recall seeing Wayman in one game and attended a Billy Tubbs basketball camp. Ahh, those were the days. There was a cheerleading camp the same week. :clap Yeah, don't post much, but enjoy reading the views of the folks on the board, except for maybe cheno and grace. I haven't been a big fan of the jhawks since the point they became the basketball equivelant of a texa$$ football fan.

:boomer:sooner

Can't wait to see this team play!

Last edited:
Back