Your "road game" experiences with OU?

NMSooner'80

Reaction score
I've been to Big 8/12 road games in Manhattan (2), Stillwater (2), Lawrence (1), Waco (1), Lubbock (1) and Boulder (1) in the last 33 years. The KSU win over the Evil Empire last night made me think about the two Manhattan trips in particular.

The funny part of the '80 game, other than the fact we won (and it was a shocker to the locals, even though we won there in '79), was the behavior of a KSU professor sitting next to my roommate. He ran his mouth about how Kansas State "had a better basketball tradition" than OU did in football ( :ez-laugh: :ez-laugh: ). And every time they made a good play, he'd elbow my friend in the ribs and say, "What did you think of that?!?"

So, when OU ran the four-corners to perfect in the final minute, and a freshman guard named Bo Overton scored on a finger-roll to ice the win, my friend placed an elbow in a strategic location and gave him back the "what did you think of that?!?" line as a way to get his own payback.

That was when KSU played at Ahern Field House, and they really did have a good basketball atmosphere back then. OU was still just learning how to do the same at the time.

To put it simple we lose unless I get in for free.
Lost to Baylor, Arkansas and Texas on the road.

Got in free to Stillwater due to the ice storm last year and we won.

I was at the OU-Missouri game in Columbia in 1988. It was on a Tuesday night, the Tigers beat us in overtime, and I swear the only OU fans there were me....and Kenyon Rasheed (KC Rockhurst). :billy

At Colorado in '02 was kind of an experience in just getting there (drove up, through snow and ice). OU's fans showed up about as well as CU's did, and some of their fans were downright embarrassed that a Top 5 team from OU couldn't bring out the fans. They were much better behaved than what I'd heard about their football crowds.

At OSU ('79) - almost got jumped in the lobby after the game by an angry Ag who didn't like my "OU Basketball is Bliss" t-shirt. I think the fact that OU won didn't help his mood any.

At Tech - saw OU's 33-point blowout win at the old Lubbock Municipal Coliseum in '98. I also saw some moron from Tech try to trip a kid who was wearing a Kelly Gregg replica jersey. The kid was about 15 and just trying to get to the men's room when this joker (about 40) thought it'd be cute to try to tie up his feet with his own. I posted about this on the old OU Insider board, and a Tech fan called me a liar. But it did happen right in front of me.

At Waco - almost saw "the streak" end, but OU rallied with a big second half. Former OU assistant coach Doug Ash's wife, Jan, gave me a mock hard time for wearing my OU cap (instead of a Baylor one, because I worked in the OU basketball office when he and Bliss were there, and when Billy took over in '80).

At KU - '79 bummer of a game - with the most memorable thing being the "hard foul" by Terry Stotts on KU golden boy Darnell Valentine. Ted "I Did Less With More" Owens of KU went bananas and chased after Stotts. Predictably, the KU radio network acted like Stotts committed murder on the play, and the wonderful locals cruised by our charter bus to rub it in. But I still think they knew their own underachieving team that year wasn't the one on the court that night which was going to win the league.

Last edited:
I've been to three games in Waco and we are 3-0 in my attendance....unfortunately I didn't go this year....not that it would've helped.

I'm 1-0 at College Station (Lavendar's freshman year when he hit at Big 3 near the end of the game).

I'm 1-0 at SMU (it was similar to a high school gym...and we played like a high school team that night, even though we won).

I'm 1-0 at the Mabee Center (I believe it was over Thanksgiving or X-mas in 95. Bill Self was the coach of ORU, but Minor and Company blew them out).

I've been to numerous Big 12 tournaments in KC and a couple in Dallas, but there are some venues that I would like to see before I pass on to the next plane - Phog Allen, Bramlidge, and Mizzou Arena.

Been to multiple OU away games for basketball and football. Always have had a great time and have never had any problems with opposing fans....maybe I am just lucky.

To put it simple we lose unless I get in for free.
Lost to Baylor, Arkansas and Texas on the road.

Got in free to Stillwater due to the ice storm last year and we won.

Stay home sam, please stay home! :ez-laugh:

I've been to KU, OSU, and Tech. Tech fans are sore losers, both is basketball and football. Never had any problems at KU or OSU, in fact the KU fans were very hospitable. The worst fans I've ever came across are LSU fans after the Sugar Bowl. Absolutely the worse fans I have ever seen.

I've heard Mizzou's fans, at least at the old Hearns Center, were pretty brutal. It probably didn't bother them at all that Jim "Lightbulb Head" Bain would call whatever Norm Stewart begged him to. :ed

The only true road game I have ever attended was against Tulsa at the reynolds center back in 05-06. That was a really bad Tulsa team but we played very poorly and let them hang in it most of the game. I think we won by about 10. I haven't been to any other games at the Reynolds center but I remember the parking situation being horrendous and some of the "chip on their shoulder" Tulsa fans acting like jerks.

The only true road game I have ever attended was against Tulsa at the reynolds center back in 05-06. That was a really bad Tulsa team but we played very poorly and let them hang in it most of the game. I think we won by about 10. I haven't been to any other games at the Reynolds center but I remember the parking situation being horrendous and some of the "chip on their shoulder" Tulsa fans acting like jerks.

The thing you have to watch out with TU fans is a lot of OU and OSU fans are TU fans too so if they were playing OU its likely it could have been a hidden OSU fan. Some TU fans though do have it in for both OU and OSU fans.

Back