Youth

How many more games would we have won if Cal were coaching here? Or Sampson?

I put the blame at Jeff's feet for a lot of the personnel problems for this year.

The personnel issues are not Jeff's fault. This year no other coach would have done any better in controlling the off court issues at hand.

some of these off the court issues seep into on court issues and that does have to do with the lack of respect for the head coach. This kind of crap would not be happening with a coach like Calipari.
These guys are treating Capel like he's a substitute teacher.

some of these off the court issues seep into on court issues and that does have to do with the lack of respect for the head coach. This kind of crap would not be happening with a coach like Calipari.
These guys are treating Capel like he's a substitute teacher.

From what I've seen I don't think so. It has nothing to do with Capel, he's done about all he can.

tiny can dunk and dunk easily. i guess i have a different idea of what a below the rim player is than everyone else.

tiny can dunk and dunk easily. i guess i have a different idea of what a below the rim player is than everyone else.

Have we been watching the same guy this year. Maybe I agree with you just based on some games pre Big 12. But since Big 12 play began he's basically been a guard for the most part.

Tiny can't dunk easily in traffic. He barely gets the ball over the rim, this from a guy that's 6'8" or 9" with a long wing span. Why do you think he as so many problems scoring on the block? TC plays above the rim more than Tiny!

i wasn't aware that big 12 play was the final determining factor. i'm not saying he is a huge leaper, but to me the guy can dunk way better than say Kevin Bookout who clearly is a below the rim player. He has had problems scoring on the block because his confidence has been pretty low in big 12 play. i thought he did pretty well before conference play. of course that was coming against lesser competition. TC has some hops on him btw.

here are a few nice dunks from tiny.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiBV2-ibMF8[/ame]

i wasn't aware that big 12 play was the final determining factor. i'm not saying he is a huge leaper, but to me the guy can dunk way better than say Kevin Bookout who clearly is a below the rim player. He has had problems scoring on the block because his confidence has been pretty low in big 12 play. i thought he did pretty well before conference play. of course that was coming against lesser competition. TC has some hops on him btw.

We do have a difference in what an above the rim player. To me it isn't if a player can dunk the ball, but does the player rebound, challenge shots above the rim or dunks over/in traffic. Blake was that player to the extreme, but Longar, J Brown and T Griffin played above the rim too. We don't have that kind of player this year.

wonder what the records of the schools would be if Calipari was coaching this OU team and Capel was coaching the Kentucky team

I think both would be NCAA tourney teams.

I think both would be NCAA tourney teams.

It's very unfair for people to make such statements. No one knows how well the two teams would have played if the coaches had been reversed. But of course, there's also no way to prove such a statement is false.

All our "level of talent" is on the O too! Not any talent on D!

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.

Talent is talent.

Playing defense isn't like being able to knock down three-pointers or something... if you have a certain amount of athletism (which OU does), then you should be able to play defense.

Are you really going to tell me that TMG or Gallon aren't athletic enough to play defense?

TMG is atheletic enough to blow past any point guard in the league when he's dribbling the ball, but yet he can't stay in front of them on the other end? And Gallon is athletic enough to average nearly a double-double as a freshman, but he's nearly stationary on the defensive end? Sorry... I don't buy that.

This is clearly all about effort. These guys have shown that they CAN play defense in stretches... they just don't have the desire to consistently play defense for 40 minutes on any given night.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.

Talent is talent.

Playing defense isn't like being able to knock down three-pointers or something... if you have a certain amount of athletism (which OU does), then you should be able to play defense.

Are you really going to tell me that TMG or Gallon aren't athletic enough to play defense?

TMG is atheletic enough to blow past any point guard in the league when he's dribbling the ball, but yet he can't stay in front of them on the other end? And Gallon is athletic enough to average nearly a double-double as a freshman, but he's nearly stationary on the defensive end? Sorry... I don't buy that.

This is clearly all about effort. These guys have shown that they CAN play defense in stretches... they just don't have the desire to consistently play defense for 40 minutes on any given night.

Yup.

Our most athletic player is Cade Davis. I really don't know if OU is really that athletic. That's why we are so bad on defense. Nothing against Cade he's a nice Div 1 caliber player but when he's your best athlete that tells you where your team is. We aren't all that talented.

Kentucky's top 7 in minutes yesterday with Rivals recruiting ranking:

John Wall - 5 star - #1 in the nation
DeMarcus Cousins - 5 star - #2 in the nation
Patrick Patterson - 5 star - #17 in the nation
Daniel Orton - 5 star - #22 in the nation
Eric Bledsoe - 5 star - #23 in the nation
DeAndre Liggins - 4 star - #28 in the nation
Darius Miller - 4 star - #42 in the nation.

To put this in perspective Blake Griffin was a 5 star ranked #23 in the nation (tied for the 5th best prospect on this Kentucky team). Kentuckly has no Cade Davis, Tony Crocker, Ryan Wright even playing let alone starting.

If OU was playing

TMG
WW
Blake
Tiny

and 3 other top 30 recruits this might be a valid conversation.

Yep....and there is talk of Wall and Cousins possibly going #1 and #2 in this year's NBA draft.

Cannot remember which one it was at Rivals.com, but he said that Wall was the best HS player he has seen that was going to be college bound (that takes out Lebron)....that is beyond high praise.

I've also seen him called a "once in a generation" PG...which seems a bit much with Derrick Rose being only a couple years removed from the college game.

Yep....and there is talk of Wall and Cousins possibly going #1 and #2 in this year's NBA draft.

Cannot remember which one it was at Rivals.com, but he said that Wall was the best HS player he has seen that was going to be college bound (that takes out Lebron)....that is beyond high praise.

I've also seen him called a "once in a generation" PG...which seems a bit much with Derrick Rose being only a couple years removed from the college game.

That Chris Paul guy was in college not so long ago.

Back