2 sides of Lon's "Let'em play" coin

I won't get involved in the Lon discussion. I still don't like the people who fired Switzer and haven't forgiven those who ran Sampson and Tubbs off.

Sometimes, I like what I see of Lon's teams. He wasn't the person that I wanted to hire. He hasn't done badly. I wouldn't fire him unless you actually have someone that can raise the image and talent at OU. Image isn't bad. I want that kept. Got anyone that can get better talent?

I asked on another thread. Nobody answered. Can you remember anyone coming to OU from out-of-state that was of the level of Adams, Tisdale, Griffin, or Young? Hield doesn't count. He wasn't a big star recruit. He made himself in college. Is it easy for us to recruit great talent?

So I am one who Loves Lon and what he represents and is very positive and truly loves the people etc. I am worn out on the last two years But we do have to remember that the Big-12 is by far the toughest league this year and although WV is down you are playing on the road against a Hall of Fame coach.

If and I say IF what many are saying above is true, then with the talent coming in next year I think we could be a tourney team for 4 straight years and finish in the top 4 each year (which I would be Happy with). Unfortunately the “talent” this year is Not that great and on top of that they show lack of effort (which no coach can change) and lack of basketball IQ (you can’t tell me Lon hasn’t told them over and over again to do or not do what they are doing). No one on the bench for Lon to go to so next year these new guys with more talent jump in - screw senior leadership- as teams all over the country are showing this means nothing.

I loved Tubbs and Capel was a nightmare. Kelvin had the scratch and claw type teams but I couldn’t stand him as a person. First he IS a Cheater. Say what you may that TODAY these things wouldn’t be cheating BUT when he did them it WAS Cheating and he knew it and did it over and over (he got fired at Indiana for cheating as well) So he IS a cheater - I had a couple of chance encounters with him in the time he was here and both times he was a jerk and acted like he was above me and everyone else there at the time - a total Jerk. When you show me that as a person I have no time for you or use for you in life.

So I believe Joe will support him and watch as this team may still make the tourney with the league being so strong, we will see. If Joe C has put up with the crap that Sherri puts out there he will Not pull the trigger on Lon. So I will watch this group of seniors and hope they have a good life afterward but none of them will be playing basketball beyond OU for money IMO. Hope the true talent we have coming in next year has HEART- that’s what we need.

So I am one who Loves Lon and what he represents and is very positive and truly loves the people etc. I am worn out on the last two years But we do have to remember that the Big-12 is by far the toughest league this year and although WV is down you are playing on the road against a Hall of Fame coach.

If and I say IF what many are saying above is true, then with the talent coming in next year I think we could be a tourney team for 4 straight years and finish in the top 4 each year (which I would be Happy with). Unfortunately the “talent” this year is Not that great and on top of that they show lack of effort (which no coach can change) and lack of basketball IQ (you can’t tell me Lon hasn’t told them over and over again to do or not do what they are doing). No one on the bench for Lon to go to so next year these new guys with more talent jump in - screw senior leadership- as teams all over the country are showing this means nothing.

I loved Tubbs and Capel was a nightmare. Kelvin had the scratch and claw type teams but I couldn’t stand him as a person. First he IS a Cheater. Say what you may that TODAY these things wouldn’t be cheating BUT when he did them it WAS Cheating and he knew it and did it over and over (he got fired at Indiana for cheating as well) So he IS a cheater - I had a couple of chance encounters with him in the time he was here and both times he was a jerk and acted like he was above me and everyone else there at the time - a total Jerk. When you show me that as a person I have no time for you or use for you in life.

So I believe Joe will support him and watch as this team may still make the tourney with the league being so strong, we will see. If Joe C has put up with the crap that Sherri puts out there he will Not pull the trigger on Lon. So I will watch this group of seniors and hope they have a good life afterward but none of them will be playing basketball beyond OU for money IMO. Hope the true talent we have coming in next year has HEART- that’s what we need.

I completely disagree with this. Of course a coach can change effort, and they better change effort or they won't be the coach very long.

I completely disagree with this. Of course a coach can change effort, and they better change effort or they won't be the coach very long.

Agree to disagree. I believe Lon has done everything possible to change this groups effort with no response. Good to have new blood coming in next year.

I see a combination of things. but mostly that coaches and players are better in the Big 12 and our attention to detail is lacking on both ends. Teams make us play uncomfortably. Example is Manek had the ball up high several times late at WV and could find no one. So he felt he had to put the ball on the floor. He didn’t want to do that but it is exactly what WV wanted him to do. A disciplined team would have a guard fighting through the defense and demanding the ball from him where he was stuck. On defense we would often stop them inside but bigs would remain stationary instead of continuing to block them out and after their bigs missed they would blow around us and put it back in.

I have no problem with a switching defense but it can’t be done lazily. Switching lazily/early leads to open 3s from the outside and offense rebounds on the inside.

Lon’s style is designed for talented athletes and talented basketball players. We don’t have enough of them and we don’t make up for it with attention to detail and discipline. I know better looking eggs are coming in but I am not counting any chickens just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lon’s style is designed for talented athletes and talented basketball players. We don’t have enough of them and we don’t make up for it with attention to detail and discipline.

I've often thought the same. His open style is good for kids who are offensively talented and have a decent bball IQ or if they have a specified role and are disciplined enough to stick with it. I just don't think we've met those qualities in a few years and I certainly don't see the discipline aspect of things with individual players' development.

Back