2009-2010 Leadership or Lack Thereof Really Sunk the Ship!

HeismanWatch

Reaction score
Willie Warren was the "Leader in Waiting", while Blake Griffin was on the roster. Blake Griffin provided the championship Leadership that is required to make a deep run in March and it happened in 2009.

Once Willie Warren stepped into that role, he tanked it. The team followed suit and that is the result of the bizarre season. I hope Willie goes to the NBA ASAP. His pulse or lack thereof really hurt the chemistry and attitude of this team, especially with so many young guns trying to follow the "Leader".

What a waste of talent all around!

Willie Warren would be the epitome of what a Leader should NOT do when given the role! If I were an NBA team, I wouldn't draft a guy like that. Way too much risk, especially with an agent in his ear. That would be a train wreck waiting to happen.

I can't recall a player at OU acting like this in an actual game on live tv throughout the season. I can just imagine the practices and team meetings. What a mess!

Regardless, I hope he grows up for his sake and that of his family. Get well soon!

Last edited:
Agreed, although I will really miss Tony Crocker next year. He led by example by playing hard all the time.

I think we can all agree WW played his way out of the draft this year. He will be back next year, and maybe an offseason of soul searching will do wonders.

I can't recall a player at OU acting like this in an actual game on live tv throughout the season.

What are you talking about?

Also, this thread is like a month-and-a-half late. I find it genuinely impossible to take seriously an argument that Willie Warren has been anything but a model teammate since basically the start of conference play.

Kid really needs to grow up, insisting on playing on one leg for the good of the team and all...

I'm referring to the whole season.

No Leadership is one thing, but Piss Poor Leadership is what defined the 2009-2010 season.

That's VERY CLEAR to me!

Willie Warren was the "Leader in Waiting", while Blake Griffin was on the roster. Blake Griffin provided the championship Leadership that is required to make a deep run in March and it happened in 2009.

Once Willie Warren stepped into that role, he tanked it. The team followed suit and that is the result of the bizarre season. I hope Willie goes to the NBA ASAP. His pulse or lack thereof really hurt the chemistry and attitude of this team, especially with so many young guns trying to follow the "Leader".

Willie Warren would be the epitome of what a Leader should NOT do when given the role! If I were an NBA team, I wouldn't draft a guy like that. Way too much risk, especially with an agent in his ear. That would be a train wreck waiting to happen.

I can't recall a player at OU acting like this in an actual game on live tv throughout the season. I can just imagine the practices and team meetings. What a mess!

Regardless, I hope he grows up for his sake and that of his family. Get well soon!

What are you meaning by the bolded part?

I don't think it's a leadership thing, as much as it is an issue with everybody buying into the system, and leaving the personal goals at home, like Capel mentioned last night. Leadership might be why this team couldn't have reached the Sweet 16 or Elite 8, but it's not the reason we're having the worst season of OU basketball since I've been old enough to follow it.

I don't think it's a leadership thing, as much as it is an issue with everybody buying into the system, and leaving the personal goals at home, like Capel mentioned last night. Leadership might be why this team couldn't have reached the Sweet 16 or Elite 8, but it's not the reason we're having the worst season of OU basketball since I've been old enough to follow it.

I believe leadership for this team was a HUGE deal. Noone bought into the system because Capel never stepped up and became a leader with this group...imo
Noone fears Capel, noone is worried about consequences.

Why do you say especially with an agent in his ear? If I were his agent I would be telling him to do what the coach wants, stay out of trouble and make it easy for me to get you advertising money. I don't really know what agents do or don't do but I can't imagine many good ones just tell the guys what they want to hear and encourage bad decisions.

Last edited:
Why do you say especially with an agent in his ear? If I were his agent I would be telling him to do what the coach wants, stay out of trouble and make it easy for me to get you advertising money. I don't really know what agents do or don't do but I can't imagine many good ones just tell the guys what they want to hear and encourage bad decisions.

As an agent, given how his year has went, what do you tell him now? I know he is still going pro but with his effort he has cost himself several bills.

Back