2011??? What about 2010?

cwilson

Reaction score
Does it seem like the 2011 class is shaping up just as fast as the 2010?

With a commitment from Richard Peters (BigTime, I haven't heard your thoughts on him, would love to), and love from 2 other 5*, Johnny O'Bryant and Quincy Miller, seems like the Capel effect is in full swing.

Big if you could break down Peters and Miller for me that would be great!

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=92564
http://oklahoma.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=89227

Also, how do you see our 2010 class playing out? Is Barnes feasible?

I am much more worried about 2010. I am getting pretty anxious to have a big man commit for 2010.

I am much more worried about 2010. I am getting pretty anxious to have a big man commit for 2010.

2010 is going to be a 5 man class, and it needs to have at least two big guys.

With a commitment from Richard Peters (BigTime, I haven't heard your thoughts on him, would love to), and love from 2 other 5*, Johnny O'Bryant and Quincy Miller, seems like the Capel effect is in full swing.

I am not so sure it is not a Blake Griffin factor more than a Jeff Capel factor. Blake is like Adrian Peterson. OU will be in on some guys they normally wouldn't be before those guys.

I think Peters was a suprise to everyone (even to some extent to Capel). Having a guy like Ryan Wright (also from Canada) really helped add a comfort level for Richard and he had a great visit during last year's Bedlam game.

As for his game, the guy has a chance to be a real difference maker as a shot blocker. He is not a jump out of the gym type of athlete, but he has good measurables and good instincts for a guy that started playing so late. He actually has some decent range on his jumper, but will need to continue to develop counter moves in the post and an off hand finish. I don't see him as a 1 or 2 and done type of guy, but I do think he has a great chance to be in the league if he continues to progress on the path that he is currently progressing. It will be good to have him playing at Brewster next year, as that staff has developed some pretty good players (Drew Fitzgerald and Thomas Robinson from just last year's class).

As for O'Bryant and Miller, it is great to be in on those guys at this point because 2011 may again be a down year for Oklahoma talent, and it appears as if we are not in on some of the top Texas guys (besides Thomas Gibson) like we have been during the past three years. Miller is getting a lot of play on the national recruiting scene, so he may be a tough one to reel in. I like his game because of his versatility and length.

As abd mentioned, this 2010 class is going to be the most important class for Coach Capel (other than landing Blake) because it will either keep us at a high level or cause us to fall a step or two after Tiny and Willie are gone.

I am leaning right now on Tiny going after this year (just a hunch) so we will have 6 scholarships to give out if Capel wants to use them all.

I feel pretty good on Micheal Cobbins, Cameron Clark, Rickey Scott, and Trevor Releford. Signing those four and adding another big (along with TJ) would be a really good class. If I had to guess then I would say the other big will probably be someone that is unknown at this point or that is a JUCO.

As for Barnes, I would just be proud that we made his final list. Speaks volumes about Capel's recruiting. I don't think we ever had a fair chance on the kid from the start because of where he lives and how much hype he got as a younger player. Getting him would truely shock the recruiting world.

I am leaning right now on Tiny going after this year (just a hunch) so we will have 6 scholarships to give out if Capel wants to use them all.

Yep.

I feel pretty good on Micheal Cobbins, Cameron Clark, Rickey Scott, and Trevor Releford. Signing those four and adding another big (along with TJ) would be a really good class. If I had to guess then I would say the other big will probably be someone that is unknown at this point or that is a JUCO.

Why do you feel good about those guys? I only feel good about Releford or Scott, but OU doesnt need both of them.

Yep.

Why do you feel good about those guys? I only feel good about Releford or Scott, but OU doesnt need both of them.

Just from what I have gathered. I think Clark will make us sweat it out until late in the fall. I wouldn't be surprised if we got Cobbins right after elite camp (if not sooner).

Just from what I have gathered. I think Clark will make us sweat it out until late in the fall. I wouldn't be surprised if we got Cobbins right after elite camp (if not sooner).

I bet out of all those top targets, OU gets either Rickey Scott or Releford.

I bet out of all those top targets, OU gets either Rickey Scott or Releford.

And no one else? I think there is a better chance of them getting Clark or Cobbins because they may not even offer Scott....

I don't see why Releford would even want to come to OU. He will sit on the bench for three years before he starts.

And no one else? I think there is a better chance of them getting Clark or Cobbins because they may not even offer Scott....

I don't see why Releford would even want to come to OU. He will sit on the bench for three years before he starts.

OU will get good players, but out of the "top" targets:

Cameron Clark
Luke Cothron
Terrence Jones
Michael Cobbins
Rickey Scott
Trevor Releford

I bet OU only gets Scott or Releford from that list.

OU will get good players, but out of the "top" targets:

Cameron Clark
Luke Cothron
Terrence Jones
Michael Cobbins
Rickey Scott
Trevor Releford

I bet OU only gets Scott or Releford from that list.

And I would bet that you are wrong. Most schools have already fired their best recruiting ammo (elite camp) while OU has yet to have theirs (August 22).

I bet you would have said the same thing about TMG and Tiny this time last year.....

Capel will almost always get an elite guy or two. He is that good of a recruiter. Plus, I think we are in much better shape with James Johnson, Phil Pressey and Lamb over Cothron.

He must like us. He mentioned us second in who is recruiting him the hardest. Sounds like we have a good chance with him.

For the 2011 Season

TMG
Cameron Clark(hopefully)
Quincy Miller/Lebryan Nash(Hopefully we get one)
Michael Cobbins/Cothron/Jones/O'bryant (Would love to get Cobbins and Jones or Cobbins and Cothron
Peters

Back