OU Elite Camp

He just posted on Twitter that he is headed to Oklahoma today, so I would think its entirely possible.

Speaking of this, I have never been really clear on what the NCAA rules about former players is. I thought I had heard that you couldn't use former players in recruiting, but I know of multiple occasions that schools have done it. Does anyone know exactly what is or isn't ok?
Former players making phone calls is definitely not okay. I think the rules for former players interacting with recruits on the college campus are similar to the rules for coaches interacting with recruits on the high school campus, in that they are allowed to have incidental contact, but they can't stand there and actively recruit them with any sort of conversation.

However, I'm not certain about this and could be wrong.

Former players making phone calls is definitely not okay. I think the rules for former players interacting with recruits on the college campus are similar to the rules for coaches interacting with recruits on the high school campus, in that they are allowed to have incidental contact, but they can't stand there and actively recruit them with any sort of conversation.

However, I'm not certain about this and could be wrong.

I know that Acie Law was at this year's A&M camp. I don't know how that stuff works either....

Can the former players work the camp? Having Blake run a few drills might be nice.

Thanks, Henzo. I guess the sky is not falling after all.

Uh, back on topic.

Good idea. It had to be done, though. How many times in your life do you get so many pun opportunities thrown right in front of you.:D

My biggest hope is that this camp makes a mammoth impact and we get a commit from someone on the fence and maybe even get back into the sweepstakes for Michael Cobbins. Either way, I like our chances of getting anyone once they have a chance to work with Coach Capel and the staff and see how knowledgeable they are, besides being personable men who care for their athletes.

I'm going to assume that tomorrow's camp is OU's chance to really target some elite talent at the same time; so, like everyone else, I'm excited about what occurs this weekend. Will any posters be able to give rapid reports of who shows, what occurs at the camp, who's involved in the conduct of the camp, etc?

I think the camp is geared to get OU in front with four guys, Cameron Clark, James Johnson/Cobbins, Robert Goff, and LJ rose.

Coach was on with James mid-week. Jeff said the Griffins would work the camp along with some current players. I may have heard wrong That should do a lot of good things.

Yes , thanks Henzo

Hope the Harrison twins make it in. My son played against them last year in AAU and they are complete STUDS!

BOOMER!!!

I heard that as expected Cam, T.J. made it in, I don't believe TJ was playing though.
Robert Goff, Michael Cobbins, James Johnson and Rickey Scott were also there. I'm pretty sure Cobbins was in the same situation as TJ and I don't think he played either.
On Goff, I heard that he is in the legit 6'9 range with good athleticism for a big guy.

I'll give a quick breakdown of my interpretation of the camp and the Prospects that I saw. First off I want to give a disclaimer that the major recruits weren't involved in alot of the camp activities. I suspect that they were toured around the campus and assigned to certain players.

Cameron Clark

Basketball analysis: Cam was clearly a different caliber player than any other player there. The thing that impressed me the most was his shooting form. Almost textbook from his head to his feet. His follow through was perfect. Cam is not a great ballhandler, however his shooting ability and ability to finish are at a very high level. I was a bit disappointed in his approach to the camp. Didn't really take it serious or go hard.

Recruiting analysis I would be very shocked if he's not a sooner. The report was so high with the coaches and the players that they weren't really even showing a recruiting effort. The only indicator of recruiting that I saw towards him was when one of the coaches had WW work with him on drills. Cam spent very little time overall with Camp activities. He was actually singled out by coaches in examples of drills and demonstrations as if he were already a Sooner. He spent most of his time with TJ and Ricky Scott.

Robert Goff 6'10 PF Cowley/Hutchinson/Indiana

Basketball Analysis: Goff was a big strong looking kid. Very raw offensively, but had the ability to be almost automatic around the basket. Finished efficiently at a high level. It was really hard to determine his overall potential because he was playing against very young guys. He definetely passed the eye test, but he definetely was underdeveloped offensively. Reminded me of Orlando Allen, but in excellent condition.

Recruiting Analysis: Unlike Clark, Goff participated in all of the camp. At one time I saw Kline talking to him extensively. I suspect Kline is the guy who is the recruiter on him. Seemed very comfortable at OU. Not much interaction with Capel that I saw. I don't know if he came away with an offer, but I suspect he'll be a Sooner. At the end of the Camp, he and Capel embraced for dap and the coach thanked him for making the long trip.

Ricky Scott 6'3 SG Dallas

Basketball Analysis: Very strong power guard. Very similar to Andre Emmett and Ronald Ross. He's a nice sized kid. About 6'3 and very muscular. Agressive driver and above the rim finisher. Shooting is a weakness. Overpowered Clark on some one on one drills.

Recruiting Analysis My isntincts is that he would commit to OU instantly if offered. I'm not sure he has an offer, but seemed to love being there. Spent most of his time with Cameron and TJ. I didn't see the coaches on him as much as they were with Cameron and Cobbins

Michael Cobbins 6'9 PF Amarillo

Basketball Analysis: Very long kid, but very thin. Wore a knee brace. Seems like a kid that will have alot of leg injuries if he doesn't bulk up. A legit 6'9. Obviously he didn't play

Recruiting: Seemed very uninterested in being there. Maybe because he was injured or maybe it was his normal disposition. Oronde pulled him to the side to discuss recruiting with him. Didn't seem like he was very familar with the coaches. I would be suprised if he would consider OU highly. Best case senario is OU gets back into his list. I suspect he got a tour, because he wasn't around at at the end of camp.

James Johnson PF California

Basketball Analysis: Reminded me of alot of the mormon power forwards that Utah and BYU gets or even a guy like Josh Heysvelt, but not quite Josh's athleticism. Decent Athlete, nice touch and D1 ready. slightly mechanical, but runs the floor well. Physically he's just right. Not too small, not to big.

Recruiting Seemed a bit more comfortable than Cobbins. Didn't participate in full camp drills. I suspect he and his parents got a tour. It is huge that OU got the kid to show up at the camp. I would be interested to see if he goes to OSU either today or Tommorrow.

Dominque Rainey

Basketball Analysis Camp MVP in my opinion. Very good at everything. Good athlete, high basketball IQ, and very skilled. Can knock down the three or dunk on you. Had alot of mustard in his body. very Fluid and agressive with the ball. In the open session he was very comfortable and knew how to approach it unlike other kids who force issues. Not a big kid. About 6'1 1/2, which is why he's not ranked, probably. A poor man's Bradley Beal.

Recruiting Analyis: Does not hold an OU offer. Has been offered by OSU and will probably pass on them. I got the feeling that there was a mutual respect from the OU program and Rainey about each other, but I didn't get the feeling that it would get past that point. He's gettting alot of interest from Big East schools, more specifically Cuse and Georgetown.

Jawanza Poland (Cowley/Hutchinson)

Basketball Analysis: A 6'5 athletic power guard in the mold of Ebi Ere. Explosive jumper and fill up scorer in Juco for what that's worth. Very aggressive with the ball and liked to take it to the rim. Very unorthodox in his playing style and shooting. Shot the ball like JR Giddens.

Recruiting Analysis
: The backup plan for Olukemi. OU might recruit him in the spring if they have dismissals or transfers. Teammate of Goff.

All in all the camp was good. Alot of the camp was window dressing for Clark, Cobbins, Johnson, Scott, ETC. TJ Taylor really seemed at home, joking around with the players and staff. Joseph Szendrief, the basketball Swartzenegger was a guy I was impressed with. He's a very good instructor and relates well to the kids. I suspect Clark eventually commits to OU along with Goff(if offered). Johnson is the wild card of the camp. Though he participated in limited drills, it is a plus for him to even come. Scott is a kid that I suspect would commit to OU. He is not capable of playing the one and his shooting is not of a SG quality, but everything else about his game is excellent. The Cobbins situation bears monitoring, but I wouldn't get too excited. There were a ton of good younger kids from Houston, Plano East, Dallas, Allen TX, and even N.O.

Last edited:
I can confirm that both the Griffin's were at today's camp. Heard it was pretty fun out there today.

Also, saw Blake, Taylor, and Bradford just having a blast last night at 747.

Coach twittered about today

jeffcapel Premier campe went GREAT. So good having Blake and Taylor back on campus. They are two of the best PEOPLE I've ever been around !!!

about 3 hours ago from TwitterFon

Other observations I had were of the staff and players. WW and Ray Willis were the team joksters. WW loves to go back and forth with whoever. Him and Capel and a back and forth exchange were they were joking and WW was ribbing Capel for not letting him play the PG last year. Willis is very similar. Joking with all of the staff especially Michael Neal. Willis and WW seem to be close. WW is a guy who is very serious about the game and was textbook in his tutorial to the kids. He even took time to demonstrate dribble breakdown moves with Clark. He was on Clark pretty hard. Ryan Wright is a professional. Very business like in his approach to everything. The Guy is ripped to shreds as well. He looked like Shannon Sharpe. Very well spoken and obviously smart kid. He'll be one of the more successful kids from this bunch when it's all said and done. TMG was in good condition. Very strong looking guard. Built From the scale of Byron Eaton, Sherron Collins, Ty Lawson measurements, he's somewhere in between the Collins Lawson medium. Andrew Fitzgerald was taller than I thought. Very gregarious kid who had a friedly outlook. Seemed to be thrilled with the prospects of being a college basketball player. Was working on his moves around the basket. Gallon was around for a small bit. Looked in Good shape. Cade Davis looked to be in the best conditioning of all the guards. He didn't participate in the camp. Barry Honore was around as well. Not a very tall guy. I doubt he's 230. Looked more to be 265-270. Seemed as i he is getting adjusted to new teammates. Joseph Szendrief will be a great strength and conditioning coach. A very good communicator and relates well to the kids. If you close your eyes and listen, you would think Arnold Swartzenegger was talking.

OU coaches struck me as very different from your typical coaches. Most coaches are car salesman type guys. They're always trying to pitch something. These guys are almost laidback to a fault. They never seem to be recruiting kids, but just talking to these guys casually. I thought Oronde would be a guy that talks a hundred miles an hour trying to pitch a sail, but he just talked to kids in a laid back fashion and mainly listened to what the kids had to say. Coach Capel was very approachable, but wasn't overly approachable or one of those guys who seemed to be working the room. If he walked by you he spoke to you and talked casually. I never saw him really chasing any kid. His approach to Clark textbook. He never really talked to Clark at all during camp activities, but found ways to single him out through drills and at times presented him as if he were a part of the Sooner family instead of just a camper. At one time he addressed the camp about working on their games and part of his speech seemed to be a directive towards Clark, Goff, and Scott.

Great camp report, DM! Thanks!!!

I hope you're right about Clark. Sure wish he would pull the trigger and put an end to the drama.

Great stuff, DM! I think you should start a new thread and re-post these observations so people can see them. Might get lost in the shuffle on page two of this thread.

Good stuff-- thanks for the reports!

I'm going to be interested to see what comes of the Scott situation. On one hand he has huge liabilities for a Guard. Not being able to shoot or being able top play the one is major. However, the Capel camp has not recruited a power guard of his ability in their tenure at OU. If there was a bet on who would dunk on you first between WW and Scott, it would be Scott. And Scott would do it chest to chest.

Also, the staff made some comments that gave me insight on their basketball philosophy. One comment that was made alot was about PGs and how they feel that if you can't shoot as a PG, you are basically useless to them. They talked about how essential it was for PGs to be involved in the ball screen game and make a decision based on how a defender plays the screen. I thought that was important for those kids to hear because alot of those kids don't understand that. Capel also made an analogy of what he looked for in a player. He discussed Eric Maynor and how he was small and not only had a bad shot, but the worst shot he ever saw. He said he offered Eric because of he way he saw the floor as a PG and the work ethic he had. He said he knew that if he got him in the program his shot would eventually turn around. They continued to talk about players with work ethics and discussed situations where some players may have been really talented, but the fact the didn't listen and have work ethic made them useless to the program. I got the feeling they were talking about Patillo and Maze in those isntances.

Taylor and Blake coming and talking at the camp was big. However Taylor and Blake probably influence parents more than kids. I think there is an appeal to a parent when they see the character of those two. Blake and Taylor or very soft spoken and i don't think them addressing the campers made a huge impact, but their overall pressence did.

Back