Sherri's new recruiting strategy

BlackwellSooner

Reaction score
Sherri Coale hopes to get Oklahoma back to the top of the Big 12 with a new recruiting strategy
0:34 | NFL

A year after being selected for the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame, Sherri Coale revamped her recruiting strategy, and it has already begun to show dividends.

Scooby Axson
Friday April 7th, 2017

NORMAN, Okla. — Just over two years ago, Oklahoma women’s basketball practices were anything but fun for the ladies tasked with getting Sooner basketball back to the top of the Big 12 conference.

Even at just a shade over 5-feet, coach Sherri Coale was always in full command. Aside from the squeak of sneakers and the bouncing of balls, her voice and her whistle were often the only sounds in the 11,000-seat Lloyd Noble Center.

Not anymore.

During practices this past season, Coale with that unmistakable, curly blonde hair is stoic and quiet, letting her upperclassmen and assistants do most of the talking while keeping a keen eye on the action. If she needs to step in and teach, she does. If she needs to joke around with her players to lighten the mood, she does that too.

Usher, Kris Kross, Salt-N-Pepa, the Notorious B.I.G. and contemporary artists like Rihanna and Drake blast through the arena speakers in-between drills and free throw shooting.

“Where was that when I was here? We didn't have music that's for sure. We had to use our own voices and energy,” says Morgan Hook, who played guard for the Sooners from 2010–11 through ’13–14. “I would have loved to practice like this, with music playing in the background, lighting a fire under our butts.”

Hook has witnessed Coale’s evolution up close. Not only is she a former player, but she is also engaged to Coale’s son, Colton, a graduate assistant with the Sooners this season.

“I know she's probably struggled with this,” Hook says. “I'm sure she doesn't want to be having to be playing music during practice. But she's had to adjust. She's done great at that. I think it's kind of a generational thing.”

Ya think? Three's been lots of talk that the game has left her behind. We will see...
Coale, 52, has coached Oklahoma for 21 seasons, winning 465 games and appearing in three Final Fours. But the Sooners haven’t won a Big 12 regular season or tournament title in 10 years and haven’t reached the Sweet 16 since 2013. After a fourth-place finish in the league in 2015–16, Coale decided to make some wholesale changes.

Although the Sooners went 23–10 this season and again reached the second round of the NCAA tournament, Coale is excited about what lies ahead for her program. She is rediscovering the joys of basketball.

Oklahoma has been to 18 straight NCAA tournaments, a streak bested by only four other schools (Tennessee, Stanford, UConn, and Notre Dame).

That kind of success is uncommon in women's basketball, Coale was not satisfied. So, the search for different kinds of talent began in the spring and summer of 2016.

“I think there's a constant evolution if you're really immersed in what you're doing and you're always growing and changing and searching for new things,” Coale says.

She and her staff began the process of tweaking how they coach and recruit. “Nothing has changed in terms of what we're looking for in a recruit,” she says, “but how we identify [that player] is where we have a chance to learn and grow.”

A complete mindset change was needed.

“A lot of that has to do with generation,” assistant and recruiting coordinator Pam DeCosta says. “This generation of kids, their attention span is five minutes.”

DeCosta says that players still have the perception that Oklahoma is “in the sticks” and the team travels to games on horseback.

“This program isn’t for everyone,” she says. “But it is if you’re about the right stuff, and you want to grow, not only as a player but also as a young woman and become something. If that is you, you come and play for Sherri Coale.”

“It’s how we rate kids, how many of the top level kids you go after, how many of the mid-level kids you go after, and trying to identify those [players] in a different way,” says assistant coach Jan Ross, who has been on Coale’s staff since Day 1 and was her college roommate at Oklahoma Christian University.

Going after the top prospects is important, but no longer a top priority.

What is?

Finding specific fits for the program and how they integrate into the Oklahoma culture. The coaching staff now uses a system that grades each recruit from 1 to 10, looking for attributes such as substance and figuring out if players see “the big picture” for the program. The grades will then go on the recruiting board to see if the player fits the team’s need. Eliminations are made based on this information.

The staff now monitors recruits’ social media accounts and they could be eliminated based on what they post, top player or not. Coale also focuses on what players want to do while they are in school and after they graduate. Between home visits and official trips to campus, each recruit will meet every person on Oklahoma’s staff, from the sports information director, to the strength coach, all the way down to the equipment managers.

Before Oklahoma’s new philosophy was put into place, the recruiting mindset was tested in early in 2014 after the staff identified a raw, but gifted 6' 9" talent from Cypress Woods High, outside of Houston.

Nancy Mulkey, who was profiled on TLC's "My Giant LIfe" a show about extremely tall women, didn’t want to go to Oklahoma initially.

And now she (and Dungee) is transferring.

"I told the Oklahoma staff no. I wasn’t interested,” Mulkey says of her recruiting process. “We just didn't have that relationship. I didn't know a lot about Oklahoma. I barely talked to them.”

Mulkey had been on Oklahoma’s radar, but the word “no” didn’t stop the coaches from an all-out pursuit of the top 20 recruit.

Despite the initial rejection, Coale placed a call to Mulkey’s mother, Dolores. After a brief conversation, Coale invited Mulkey to visit the Norman campus. “I had a feeling that once they came here and she felt the connection of our players that she would know this is not only a safe place but this is a place where she can grow,” Coale said.

After one weekend visit, Mulkey made up her mind. She was going to become a Sooner. The environment, the connection with the coaches and her desire to leave the confines of home were enough to change her mind.

“This is it,” Mulkey told her mother. “Tell everyone else I am not coming.”

Freshman Chelsea Dungee has a similar story. The 5’11” guard from Sapulpa High originally committed to Oklahoma State back in the eighth grade and re-opened her commitment after the tragic plane crash death of OSU head coach Kurt Budke and assistant basketball coach and recruiting coordinator Miranda Sernain November 2011.

Coale went to Texas to scout one of Dungee’s AAU games and again, after just one conversation, Dungee was sold on Oklahoma’s future.

“There’s just something about her and the coaching staff and something about the players that I knew I would grow,” Dungee says. “I need to be pushed to help my game, and Coach Coale sold me not only on basketball, but being vulnerable and being allowed to grow.”

Mulkey, who finished fifth in the Big 12 with 62 blocked shots and Dungee, who averaged 7.4 points in 18 starts are expected to be part of the Sooners future success. Oklahoma will bring in another Top 40 recruit in Ana Llanusa, a 6-foot guard from nearby Choctaw, Okla<., next season.

The other 2017 signees are Mandy Simpson, a 6’1” small forward from Boise, Idaho, and point guard Shaina Pellington from Pickering, Ontario and the program has verbal commitments for the 2018 class from point guard Tatum Veithenheimer, a top 25 recruit from Windthorst, Texas, and guard Jessi Murcer from nearby Westmoore.

This is a remarkable improvement in recruiting, considering Oklahoma didn’t have a single top 50 national recruit in the 2015 class.

That youth movement is needed as Oklahoma is expected to lose six seniors from this season’s squad.

“I would say the change has worked so far," Coale admits. “I have to do more than sell them on Oklahoma and the basketball program. The change had to come in the way we view how these ladies can become successful people.”

In 1996, at age 31 and eight months pregnant with her second child, Coalewas hired away from Norman High to take over a Sooners program that was in dire need of direction.

Just six years earlier, in March 1990, the school had announced it would shut down the basketball program. The administration had decided not to support a team that had averaged fewer than 100 fans per game in 1989–90. Officials at the time cited an increasing rise in costs and a chance to save money so the school could put together a women’s soccer team.

Amid outcry over the decision and threats of a sex-discrimination lawsuit, university officials reversed course and reinstated the program.

The shut down only lasted a week, but the damage to the team was profound.

Over the next five seasons, the Sooners won just over half of its games, and the year before Coale arrived (1995–96), the team went 15–18. Her first three seasons were rough. Those teams won only 28 out 83 games, but increased their win total every season. The breakthrough came in the 1999-2000 season, when the Sooners cracked the AP Top 25 for the first time under Coale won the conference title and reached the Sweet 16. “I told them I don't want them getting fat and sassy, but I knew we had something special,” she says.

Under Coale, Oklahoma has six regular season Big 12 championships and four tournament titles. But Baylor has had a stranglehold on the conference, winning the Big 12 tournament in six of the last seven years. Baylor is also the last team not named Connecticut or South Carolina to win the national title.

But Coale and her team feel that with the experience they have coming back combined with the influx of new talent, the Sooners will be in position to challenge for Big 12 titles again. “I think if you watch some of the quarters that we put together or some possessions, even, it's as good as it gets,” says guard Maddie Manning, who averaged almost 13 points and 5.5 rebounds per game before a late-season knee injury. “We can play with anybody in the country. It's just finding that that fine line between believing it and execution.”

One day last summer, Coale was sweeping out her pool cabana at her home when her cell phone rang. She noticed the call was from Marsha Sharp, the Women's Basketball Hall of Famer and former Texas Tech coach who led the Lady Techsters to the 1993 NCAA title. Also on the call was Doug Bruno, currently DePaul’s head coach and an assistant on the USA Women's National Team, which won gold at the Rio Summer Olympics.

The two icons were calling to tell Coale that she would be inducted into the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame. (Jackie Stiles, Natalie Williams, June Courteau, Bill Tipps, and Joe Lombard were the others inducted with Coale.

After the call, Coale sat for 25 minutes trying to process the information she had just received. “It was a surreal,” she says. “It’s just not anything that I'd ever thought about and it completely caught me off guard.

“Then the honor of hearing it from those two guys. I just think the world of both of us as people and as basketball coaches. You know, hearing your heroes give you information like that is incredibly cool.”

When Coale’s former players heard the news, they were thrilled. All-America guard Stacey Dales, who played five seasons in the WNBA before becoming a reporter for ESPN and now for the NFL network, says Coale is a teacher in every sense of the word.

“She taught me how to play the game, and how to play the game with unbridled passion like it’s supposed to be played. She also is a genius in telling you how to handle your business off the court,” says Dales, who is the only female player whose jersey hangs from the arena rafters. “I am now a professional because of her and I learned how to be a part of something bigger than myself.”

Adds Iowa State coach Bill Fennelly, “I think when the story of the Big 12 is written, there will be a huge chapter about her and what’s she’s meant not to Oklahoma women’s basketball, but to our league because of the work that she’s done, the commitment she’s made, the kind of person she is. She has put the Big 12 on the national map.”

Coale doesn’t see what she does as special. “I believe that’s our job,” she says. “It's teaching people how to handle pressure and how to expect great things from themselves and how to discipline themselves and manage their time and how to connect with people. That’s what I do. End of story.”

Thanks to her ability to keep adapting and evolving her program, Coale’s basketball story is far from over.

https://www.si.com/womens-college-basketball/2017/04/07/sherri-coale-oklahoma-recruiting-strategy

I think that OU women's basketball is at a crossroads. The nest year or two will tell whether Sherri will bring OU back to relevance in the conference or whether her time is drawing to a close.

Last edited:
Most of the kids Sherri follow on twitter have a bible verse in there twitter headline, so that seems to be what she looks for in the kids she offers a love for god.

Most of the kids Sherri follow on twitter have a bible verse in there twitter headline, so that seems to be what she looks for in the kids she offers a love for god.

As does Patty! SMH!

As does Patty! SMH!

why did you shake your head? You want to make me out to be a bad guy but guess what I don't care, I grew up Jehovah witness, so I have a love for god, and if Sherri wants Kids who put God 1st I have no issue with that...

As does Patty! SMH!

Just because I have a different point of view/ allow others to express the way they feel about OU doesn't make myself or anyone else any less of a Sooner fan, I even find myself defending Sherri at times...

The real problem I see with that article.
The two kids lauded as fitting Sherri's new style of recruiting are gone. And workout
commitment/dedication appears to be part of it.
They didn't fit.

why did you shake your head? You want to make me out to be a bad guy but guess what I don't care, I grew up Jehovah witness, so I have a love for god, and if Sherri wants Kids who put God 1st I have no issue with that...

It has been insinuated on this board for years that Sherri was running a bible program instead of a basketball program. Patty said on national television after winning NC that she "thanked God". I've never heard Sherri say that after a big win. I attended Sooner Choice awards last week and almost every student receiving award "thanked God" in their speech, regardless of sport. People have used this to bash Sherri (along with other mindless crap) pretty much since inception of this women's board. Same with "family atmosphere". If people read interviews, most athletes committing to OU say the "family atmosphere" is what attracted them to Norman. But let's bash Sherri about the bible program she's running and her Jimmy Choos and etc, etc. Everybody's heard something! And this has pretty much been going on since women's board inception. But why?

From a recruiting/coaching perspective Sherri should be held accountable to recruit, develop and coach a team that is a consistent top ten team on the floor while maintaining satisfactory academic progress toward a degree for her players nothing more, nothing less.

When she falls short of those expectation it is acceptable for fans to ask why and to suggest their thoughts as to what the problem may be and what the possible solution to the problem are. It is called being a fan. Net net the solution to the problem is wins, wins and championships. They cure all ills.

The Gasso comment at this point is counter productive.
Whatever Gasso is doing is working at a Saban like level.
She's dominating on the field, in recruiting, etc... She's found a great formula.
I will say that in interviews that I have seen Gasso recruits talk about the family atmosphere but they also mention the competitive aggressive style of play and personality of the team.

I don't care if the kids are super religious or not.
I do care if Sherri is using it as some ultimate barometer of recruitability, and she's restricting her pool of candidates based on this criteria.
Now, I've never heard that. Never accused Sherri of that.

The Gasso comment at this point is counter productive.
Whatever Gasso is doing is working at a Saban like level.
She's dominating on the field, in recruiting, etc... She's found a great formula.
I will say that in interviews that I have seen Gasso recruits talk about the family atmosphere but they also mention the competitive aggressive style of play and personality of the team.

I don't care if the kids are super religious or not.
I do care if Sherri is using it as some ultimate barometer of recruitability, and she's restricting her pool of candidates based on this criteria.
Now, I've never heard that. Never accused Sherri of that.

You may not have accused her but over the years, on this board specifically, some have accused her either directly or indirectly. I'm saying from appearances , Patty operates the same way, maybe even more so. You can't fault Sherri for that and turn around and say Patty is the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm loath to get into this discussion to a great degree, but WTH.

I'm guessing based some veiled innuendo on this thread that at least part of the reasons Dungee and Mulkey may have departed is they perhaps weren't working hard enough, in or out of season, and Sherri had enough of it.

Or perhaps, as I've said before, expectations and wants on both sides were not communicated well from the get go and people became unhappy or felt they were mistreated.

Cat is right, however, that this religious stuff has been around a long time. That's probably because it's in some degree true.

Sherri has certainly taken character chances with recruits in the past. She also seems to have shied away from it in the last half dozen years.

Does that impact who and how hard she recruits potential players?

It is difficult to think that it doesn't play a serious part of who she says yes and no to.

We have all heard the stories, some perhaps verified, so many not, that Sherri just comes in the office one day and tells her assistants to stop recruiting a kid, apparently for no reason.

Who knows if that is true? Only Sherri, the staff and the recruits. Let me say that it wouldn't surprise me in the least little bit.

Sherri doesn't seem to want to deal with head cases whether it's Plumbly, Kornet or any of a dozen others. That may not now be as easy as it was to do 10 years ago when even fewer people than now gave a crap about WBB at the college level

She's clearly looking for players that have something within them that is special, besides being good on the court.

Perhaps she dismisses kids too quickly if they aren't religious or goody-two-shoes enough. Perhaps she doesn't. From the stories I've heard, I think she might.

All I know is she needs to recruit better and she has in the last couple of years.

But losing two very good players after their freshmen year hurts the program and it hurts it tremendously.

And it doesn't shed a good light on our head coach, our staff, the players and the program.

So, in my opinion, something -- and I'm not sure what -- needs to be done to fix it.

Yeah, girls transferring has become a big issue the last couple of years, particularly this year.

Perhaps that's because all these coaches are selling these kids a big ration of BS and all these kids, as someone else said, think they are so da** special that every coach ought to kiss their behinds or else.

This is my bottom line: "Houston, we have a problem" and it's about to impact us big time.

Last edited:
tycat,
Results right now are very different. Especially in recruiting. And definitely on the field/court.
I'm not sure the comparison is relevant at all at this point.

Gasso doing more and for half the money of SC. For the life of me I will never understand the thinking of paying Coale the kind of money she is making.

Gasso doing more and for half the money of SC. For the life of me I will never understand the thinking of paying Coale the kind of money she is making.

She got her big salary boost to about $800K after her Final Four successes and fears another school would pay her the big bucks to win basketball games at their school. Unfortunately after Sherri got the big bucks she forgot to continue to get the big wins.

Of course competition got tougher with the arrival and ultimate success of Kim making the row difficult for Sherri to hoe. Now she is overpaid for what she delivers on the basketball court. Many here argue that she is paid to do many other things.

But don't fool yourself, no school anywhere pays an employee anywhere near two or three times what they pay the president and top professors just to do other things. Most top schools in athletics pay big dollars to most coaches to win many big games. Sherri gets her $1.1 mil guarantee for what she did on the basketball court not for what she does on the basketball court and therein lies the problem.

Patty got her big bucks, probably the highest paid softball coach in the country by close to $100K, but she has continued to produce after her initial success. There is a difference.

Last edited:

I believe Gasso is the highest paid coach in women's softball and produces at a high level.

Coale is highly paid and produces mediocre teams at this point in her career.

Joe C has proven that he will pay for results, he needs to hold Coale to the standard that earned her the big paycheck.

I am not a Twitter person, but it looks like she only follows 1 person. What players is she following?

I am not a Twitter person, but it looks like she only follows 1 person. What players is she following?

Sorry not Sherri but ouwbb on twitter...

CLASS: 2018
Zipporah Broughton, point guard
Taylor Robertson, point guard
Yo'myris Morris, Forward
Bryce Nixon, point guard recently committed to Arizona
Catherine Reese, Forward
Amaya Brown, guard
Abby Prohaska, guard committed to ND
bryn gerlich, from Texas, I can't find a lot of information on her, believe she plays AAU ball with Tutam, Reese and Brown. Gerlich was named the Christian Athlete of the year...
Aquira DeCosta, forward recently eliminated OU
Christyn Williams, guard number 1 player in the nation, but is not looking at OU at this time
Charli Collier, Forward committed to uconn
Sedona prince, center committed to Texas

Class of 2019
Sarah Sutton, guard from Kentucky
Laeticia Amihere, forward from Canada
Hayley Jones, Forward/Guard from California same high school as Drob and the Hayes kid who picked UCLA but looked at OU.
Corina Carter, guard from San Antonio Texas
gabby gregory, guard from Tulsa Oklahoma
Ginger Reece, forward from Lawton Oklahoma

Class of 2020
Katelyn Levings

Class of 2021
Peyton Andrews
Trinity Gooden

OU is also following Jessica Shepard and someone I believe is a point guard from Australia Named Jessica Simmons...

You may not have accused her but over the years, on this board specifically, some have accused her either directly or indirectly. I'm saying from appearances , Patty operates the same way, maybe even more so. You can't fault Sherri for that and turn around and say Patty is the best thing since sliced bread.

Patty is much more demanding. A couple of weeks ago, I heard Shelby Pendley say that she didn't like Patty at first because she yelled at her but after all the success she loves her. You can't miss practice or not be totally engaged in practice for Patty.

Just maybe Sherri is getting back to demanding which is why Dungee and obviously Mulkey are leaving.

Patty is much more demanding. A couple of weeks ago, I heard Shelby Pendley say that she didn't like Patty at first because she yelled at her but after all the success she loves her. You can't miss practice or not be totally engaged in practice for Patty.

Just maybe Sherri is getting back to demanding which is why Dungee and obviously Mulkey are leaving.

We should hope? At least it has appeared for sometime that Sherri does not demand players meet expectations or there will be consequences. But who really knows.

Back