2022-2023 Season Schedule news

Very strange. I wonder if they expect we'll be in the SEC by then and don't want two SEC teams in the field...

With the Big12 beginning negotiations on their new tv contract, it’s starting to look like OU and texas will, indeed, be in the SEC by ‘23.

My OU ticket app is showing additional dates for home games:

12/31 - Texas
1/4 - Iowa State
1/14 - West Virginia
1/21 - Baylor
2/1 - Oklahoma State
2/11 - Kansas
2/14 - Kansas State
2/21 - Texas Tech
3/4 - TCU

My OU ticket app is showing additional dates for home games:

12/31 - Texas
1/4 - Iowa State
1/14 - West Virginia
1/21 - Baylor
2/1 - Oklahoma State
2/11 - Kansas
2/14 - Kansas State
2/21 - Texas Tech
3/4 - TCU

5 conf Saturday home games is a good deal ...

Wednesday is not a great day .. but at least 1 of those 2 is osu ..

With the Big12 beginning negotiations on their new tv contract, it’s starting to look like OU and texas will, indeed, be in the SEC by ‘23.

I still think it'll be '24 (or '25). It's getting pretty late, timing-wise, to make '23 happen. That league year begins next summer (6/1 or 7/1). Big 12 will want an answer from OU/Texas on '23 so they can finalize scheduling. SEC will need the same. All that stuff takes time, and time is running out.

I still think it'll be '24 (or '25). It's getting pretty late, timing-wise, to make '23 happen. That league year begins next summer (6/1 or 7/1). Big 12 will want an answer from OU/Texas on '23 so they can finalize scheduling. SEC will need the same. All that stuff takes time, and time is running out.

2024 looks like the absolute latest. We'll find out when the Big 12 TV Deals are announced when it'll be though. The thing is that everyone is pushing this to happen ASAP so I'm thinking 2023 will probably happen but we'll see.

Last edited:

agreed

2024 looks like the absolute latest. We'll find out when the Big 12 TV Deals are announced when it'll be though. The thing is that everyone is pushing this to happen ASAP so I'm thinking 2023 will probably happen but we'll see.

24 seems to be the absolute earliest

agreed

24 seems to be the absolute earliest
With the Big 12 new contract coming up we'll find out. I think the buy out will be put in that contract and if the Big 12 picks up the 4 corner Pac 12 schools it could happen as early as next year. The only question mark is scheduling in other sports. With things like OU pulling out of that tournament that's a sign that they are trying to get it done by 2023. 2024 is a lock if 2023 doesn't happen.

SEC made Tenn and Georgia cancel games between OU for 2023 and 2024

Last edited:
SEC made Tenn and Georgia cancel games between OU for 2023 and 2024

but they didn't tell alabama to cancel the texas game in 2023 ..

tenn and uga wanted to cancel because there wouldn't be return trips (OU will be in the SEC by then) and the conf did it for them ..

I think it's possible that ESPN and FOX could make a deal with the Big 12 and each other for the 24-25 season. The Big 12 has an interest in perhaps securing a better deal for years to come, FOX has become more tied down with the Big Ten, and ESPN has a greater need for prime inventory with the loss of the SEC.

The reason why 23-24 doesn't make sense is CBS gets the top SEC game next year and I doubt ESPN wants to push hard to get OU and Texas out only to see OU/Texas on CBS.

but they didn't tell alabama to cancel the texas game in 2023 ..

tenn and uga wanted to cancel because there wouldn't be return trips (OU will be in the SEC by then) and the conf did it for them ..

If they did cancel the Bama game that would give it away 100% that a deal is done. And you would get tampering calls by the Big 12. Again nothing will be announced till the contracts are announced and we'll se an early buy out for it. I would say it's about 60-40 it'll be 2024. But with other news 2023 is a bigger possibility than was believed even months ago.

If they did cancel the Bama game that would give it away 100% that a deal is done. And you would get tampering calls by the Big 12. Again nothing will be announced till the contracts are announced and we'll se an early buy out for it. I would say it's about 60-40 it'll be 2024. But with other news 2023 is a bigger possibility than was believed even months ago.

lol this isn't a tin foil hat thing ...

The reason why 23-24 doesn't make sense is CBS gets the top SEC game next year and I doubt ESPN wants to push hard to get OU and Texas out only to see OU/Texas on CBS.

bingo ... that extra 250 mil a year doesn't start rolling into the sec until 24 season ..

They can negotiate the contract both ways. They can say we'll pay x amount for the years with OU/UT still in the Big 12, and x amount without them. I don't think the re-negotiation of the contracts has anything to do with cleaning up the OU/UT leaving stuff, as much as it has to do with the remaining Big 12 members wanting to know what they are going to be pulling in. That also allows the Big 12 to go to the PAC schools and say "hey, this is what we can offer." It's all tied together. I don't think the PAC schools are coming to come quickly. Definitely not in '23. No way that happens. Doubtful in '24. After that, who knows.

lol this isn't a tin foil hat thing ...

This is based on a number of things coming out since last year. Not just one story or another. The push is to get this done as soon as possible by the current Big 12 leadership for a number of reasons. Mostly because they want the new members settled and they want to push to get PAC 12 members to join the Big 12 and expand there. The playoff expansion is trying to start by 2024. OU basketball out of a 2023 pre season tournament is part of that. USC and UCLA going to the Big 10. Sounds like Oregon and Washington will follow fairly soon.

With the college football playoff pushed up to possibly 2024 they want everything settled by 2024. I'm going to say the same thing as I said earlier mostly likely OU is in the SEC by 2024 but 2023 is a big possibility too. The only way OU/Tx leaves the Big 12 later than 2024 is if the Big 12 gets that as part of the TV deal for some reason. But that doesn't really benefit the Big 12 because they wouldn't get the buy out money. Doesn't benefit OU and Texas. Makes it harder for the Big 12 to make room for potential PAC 10 members before 2025.

And no, the didn't cancel the Bama/UT game this year and next because they know the move wasn't happening in '23 or before. Even if it plays all the way to '25, those two series with OU and UGA/Tenn would not have been made whole, b/c the return games were too far out. Honestly, I don't think the SEC cancelled them. Why does the SEC care if both UGA and Tenn were willing to give OU an OOC home game that wasn't returned? The schools probably all agreed to cancel, and probably had the SEC make the announcement so it wouldn't look like the schools were dodging big games. OU has known for a while, right, given that we literally announced the game with SMU right after the SEC announcement. I think the SEC announcement was a bit for show.

But that doesn't really benefit the Big 12 because they wouldn't get the buy out money. Doesn't benefit OU and Texas. Makes it harder for the Big 12 to make room for potential PAC 10 members before 2025.

You can't make that first comment. If OU/UT are still in the Big 12, that tv contract is going to be larger. That may offset the buy out. May not. None of us know. But we can't just ignore that fact.

As for this year's non-conference schedule, has anyone heard anything about when the Nov. 11 (Veteran's Day) game will be? It's not listing a time on the soonersports.com site. I know the women's team's "kids' day" will be that morning at 10:30 a.m. I'm sure the guys will play in the evening, but I'm trying to get a general idea because I'm off from work that day.

I don't think the SEC cancelled them. Why does the SEC care if both UGA and Tenn were willing to give OU an OOC home game that wasn't returned? The schools probably all agreed to cancel, and probably had the SEC make the announcement so it wouldn't look like the schools were dodging big games. OU has known for a while, right, given that we literally announced the game with SMU right after the SEC announcement. I think the SEC announcement was a bit for show.

this is being reported as what happened elsewhere ..

Back