2024-25 Schedule News

Actual question....With the "watered down" non-con schedule, lets say Moser wins 21+ games and makes the NCAA tournament as an 8, 9 or 10 seed but plays in the actual tournament. Does that stop the bickering about the schedule at least for a year? SOME of it in "their" mind HAS to be about winning more games and making the record look shiny in order to make the tournament. Could they do that with 150-200 type teams? Sure. But for some reason they felt the need to make it so easy on some of them they "can't fail" for 6-7 games. IF above happens, again, does that change the attitude a little if/when he then comes back to OU for another season? Or do we just pick up where we left off at this time next year? ;)
I've said this a million times: if our coaching staff is dumb enough to think that adding two automatic wins by scheduling horrible teams HELPS our chances of making the tournament, we are in even worse shape than I think we are. Every fan with a rudimentary understanding of the selection process knows that isn't what the committee values. If a guy being paid millions to coach a D-1 team doesn't, it's scary.

To your question -- we have to make the tournament. If we do, there is little doubt he will be our coach next season. If we don't, there is no way he should be back next season, unless Joe cries poor or simply doesn't care enough to fire him. But I can't see any scenario where I would ever be happy with an 8-game home schedule that includes 7 NET 320+ teams and one below average power conference team that we didn't even schedule ourselves. Beyond being counterproductive when it comes to postseason chances, it is also a complete slap in the face to the small number of fans who actually do show up to watch the team in November and December.

Back