#23 OU vs ORU 2pm 11/12

103-74 final. Verhulst had a great game scoring 32 including 5-5 from 3…she showed why she was a 5 star recruit out of high school. She also had 6 boards, 6 assists and 3 blocks…great all around game.

We played pretty flat after the Ole Miss game until the 4th quarter…struggled on the boards as it appeared ORU was better focused than us. We also struggled with Skylar and Sahara in foul trouble all game. Skylar only scored 10 and Sahara 6 in limited minutes. Keys had 10 but struggled from 3 and Joens scored 13. Next game is Wednesday in the elementary school game at 10:30am.

Box score: https://soonersports.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2023-24/oral-roberts/boxscore/12781

Last edited:
What worries me is that no big one got more than 10 minutes. How is OU going to recruit a big if they don't see them play and how do they utilize a 5? It just shows sometimes a person needs a different setting to be successful. Verhultz is showing her 5-star status.

What worries me is that no big one got more than 10 minutes. How is OU going to recruit a big if they don't see them play and how do they utilize a 5? It just shows sometimes a person needs a different setting to be successful. Verhultz is showing her 5-star status.

I'm not sure the number of minutes the bigs are getting means much in games like this.

It seems that Jennie is doing a couple of things. 1). She is platooning a lot - subbing out 4 or 5 players at a time. Will that continue or not? 2). We lost the majority of our scoring from last year to graduation. So the new players and the returning players have to develop that chemistry that the team had last year. I think that's one reason for the subbing - getting new people used to playing with each other in actual games instead of practice.

We have a lot of interchangeable parts - versatile players who can play multiple positions. I don't pay a lot of attention to what recruits we offer but don't get. Based on the way we play, a 'traditional' 5 might not work well in this system.

I'm not sure the number of minutes the bigs are getting means much in games like this.

It seems that Jennie is doing a couple of things. 1). She is platooning a lot - subbing out 4 or 5 players at a time. Will that continue or not? 2). We lost the majority of our scoring from last year to graduation. So the new players and the returning players have to develop that chemistry that the team had last year. I think that's one reason for the subbing - getting new people used to playing with each other in actual games instead of practice.

We have a lot of interchangeable parts - versatile players who can play multiple positions. I don't pay a lot of attention to what recruits we offer but don't get. Based on the way we play, a 'traditional' 5 might not work well in this system.

For certain a "traditional 5" must be able to run the court to fit with Jennie's system. And those girls are hard to find and even more difficult to sign.

Last edited:

Do we have a big other than Johnston? Cullitson and Landry are 6' 3" and though I haven't seen Landry enough to tell..maybe she has more arm length than Cullitson, so maybe more of a big than Cullitson because of that. Not sure what is taken into account. Anyway, Cullitson had 18 minutes. I thought she became a valuable player last year and is looking good so far this year. I hope the other two do as well as Bea did last year, because we will definitely need them.

Do we have a big other than Johnston? Cullitson and Landry are 6' 3" and though I haven't seen Landry enough to tell..maybe she has more arm length than Cullitson, so maybe more of a big than Cullitson because of that. Not sure what is taken into account. Anyway, Cullitson had 18 minutes. I thought she became a valuable player last year and is looking good so far this year. I hope the other two do as well as Bea did last year, because we will definitely need them.

Not being critical, but it's Culliton and Johnson.

And I agree about Culliton. She's actually become a very skilled post player, probably our best around/under the basket. At 6-3, she's the same height as Allen and only an inch shorter than Johnson. Jennie was very complimentary of Bea's play against ORU.

Back