OU vs UNLV 2pm 12/9

We got beat soundly 92-76. They are very experienced and solid team and were just clearly better than us. We had no defensive answer for the UNLV center. Tried most everyone and nobody could stop her.

We really miss Liz. Don't think any of our other centers are ready for prime time, Landry Allen will be, one might say we should play her a bunch to get her a bunch of experience. Culliton is limited athletically, and Johnson although taller and more athletic hasn't really progressed like I hoped she would.

I did notice that Verhulst was wearing an ankle wrap under her shoe. I think she is well under 100% on her right ankle…we really need her to get better before the UNC game.

KJ is our tallest player and didn't have ONE rebound! If that doesn't say something about our posts, then IDK what does! We really need to develop these girls, as that is our biggest liability, IMO. Our overall lack in defensive intensity STILL after 2 years in a row of 'working on addressing this' from JB just amazes me how poor it still really is. We sub in/out frequently, so there really shouldn't be an excuse as to why we aren't defending players better. UNLV got anything and everything they wanted offensively, and we only had 2 girls really play, Vann & Williams. Everyone else might as well have stayed on the dang bus. I'm frustrated by how lazy we look out there, and I can't put that on anyone else but JB & staff. At this rate, we will be extremely lucky to be 6th in the B12 final standings, and even make the NCAA tourney. Last time I looked at our schedule I predicted us going 18-11, but it could be even worse after this game, as I've also seen Iowa State and TCU play since, and both look better than we do. This'll be a season of really testing JB's coaching ability, but at this early stage I give her a 'C' overall.

Can’t say I disagree me with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to add my $.02 worth...where I give Jennie a C and why I think we haven't moved forward is recruiting. To play at the top 10-15 level you have to have tall/long, strong and quick athletes. To play high level defense you have to have those type players. A little like Porter on the men's side, Jennie has recruited players more like those she recruited at Drake...at that level skill predominates as the great athletes are in the bigger conferences. Porter learned his lesson and got the athletes he needed...Jennie has to do the same if we want to compete with the best.

And I realize that is easy to say and a lot harder to execute as all the big conference teams are going after those athletes. Jennie won one of those battles getting Sahara..I have seen Caya Smith play and she is that type of athlete...just need to get more.

I believe in order to get better we need 1) a real point guard, who can control the pace and also cut down on our turnovers; and 2) a real Center, who we can go to when our outside shooting is cold. We have none right now, just a bunch of players in between. Next year won't be any different with what we have coming back/in, unless someone transfers out, and JB gets it together and lands a Big that can make a difference for us. Otherwise we will be average at best, until Lofton comes in and takes over at PG, IMO.

We really miss Liz. Don't think any of our other centers are ready for prime time, Landry Allen will be, one might say we should play her a bunch to get her a bunch of experience. Culliton is limited athletically, and Johnson although taller and more athletic hasn't really progressed like I hoped she would.

Over the years I have noticed that often the light doesn't come on with some players until their 3rd year. I am hoping that Johnson will achieve that milestone late in this season or early in the next one.

Back