4 guard offense, fast break points?

luckyc1423

Reaction score
I posted something similiar in another thread....We run a 4 guard offense and really get no fast break points...can someone explain this to me.

I mean we have 4 guards in the lineup and we seem ok walking it up playing a half court style game...we do not press much...then once we get into the half court game we always have someone going one on one for a shot it seems like...Y dont we just push the ball and go one on one off of a break...

I know our defense really needs to be better to be able to push the ball alot...but with 4 guards we should be pushing after EVERY make also...imo

You have to get stops and rebound to run, it really is that simple.

Now, there are teams like State and UNC in recent years that could push after a made basket, but we don't have that ability, especially when Tiny is sucking down air a minute into the game.

This.

Add to that that our players aren't particularly skilled at breaking (not Crocker's strong point, really not Cade's either, and Tiny is the last one up the court most times), and it just isn't going to happen.

We don't get enough rebounds, plus Tiny, Fitz and Wright don't run well. For the last month or so, Crocker and Cade have been two of our biggest rebounders. That leaves them trailing, instead of a guy like Cole Aldrich outletting to lead the break with all 4 guards running. Add to that the fact that Willie seems to be walking the ball up every time he gets it in his hands the last 2 months and you have no fast breaks.

The only fast breaks I ever see and when TMG just creates one on his own.

I've come to the conclusion that the four guard offense is for the birds. No pun intended Pledger. We really struggle not having someone at the 4. The reason why is because that 4 can always slide over and play some 5. We don't have a 4 that can play some five and the four we have (Fitz) struggles guarding guys on the perimeter.

This.

Add to that that our players aren't particularly skilled at breaking (not Crocker's strong point, really not Cade's either, and Tiny is the last one up the court most times), and it just isn't going to happen.

It is unfortunate because TMG excels at the fastbreak with his ability to dribble weave in and out of traffic and his ability to pull up and hit right out of a dead sprint.

It is unfortunate because TMG excels at the fastbreak with his ability to dribble weave in and out of traffic and his ability to pull up and hit right out of a dead sprint.

Oh, I agree. He could be a dangerous weapon in that type of offense. I've never been big on running just to run, or making that a staple of your team, but I would like to run some. We must defend and rebound better to start with though. Having some SG/SF types that can finish in traffic would help too. Hopefully Clark helps with that.

Throw Clark and Jones in the mix, and TMG is a HUGE weapon on the break. Still, you have to defend and rebound to get out on the break.

Throw Clark and Jones in the mix, and TMG is a HUGE weapon on the break. Still, you have to defend and rebound to get out on the break.

Terrence would be an absolute beast on the break!

Now, there are teams like State and UNC in recent years that could push after a made basket, but we don't have that ability, especially when Tiny is sucking down air a minute into the game.

Bingo...

What I find fascinating about the 4 guard lineups of OU and OSU is that both Crocker and Muonelo have been able to play the PF spot and rebound as well if not better than many PF I have seen at both OU and OSU. It really demonstrates that rebounding is all about desire.

What I find fascinating about the 4 guard lineups of OU and OSU is that both Crocker and Muonelo have been able to play the PF spot and rebound as well if not better than many PF I have seen at both OU and OSU. It really demonstrates that rebounding is all about desire.

Yeah, but it's kinda fools gold, because they're limited on the offensive boards. I respect what Crocker and Muonelo have done, however, I don't think it has worked out. Crocker had a hard time against Utep playing against guys much longer. I'm ok with doing it in a situation, like when we want to spread the defense a little bit, but I just don't see it as a long term philosophy. I totally understand why Capel does it, becuase Crocker is going to be more productive at that position, though undersized, than Fitz, Allen, and Hardrick. I think Ford just likes it because it brings more shooting.

Back