A comparison.....

I cant think of the college coach who would pick 2 years of AJ over 2 years of Quannas... Quannas could shoot, defend the point guard spot like nobody else in the country, he could finish in the lane, he could actually post up other point guards, etc.

I cant think of anything outside of dunking that AJ does better than Quannas.

I cant think of the college coach who would pick 2 years of AJ over 2 years of Quannas... Quannas could shoot, defend the point guard spot like nobody else in the country, he could finish in the lane, he could actually post up other point guards, etc.

My thoughts exactly. Oh, AJ blocked shots better also.

Good Lord that is some revisionist history. Q wasn't a shooter. He had decent/good shooting stats, but calling him a "shooter" is misleading. Defend the point like nobody else? Hardly. Again, very, very solid, but so was AJ. They did it differently. AJ was more disruptive, a little quicker, and had the reach/blocks. Q was fundementally sound, and stayed in front of all but the quickest of guards. What all defensive teams did Q make? None that I remember. And Q never posted anybody up. Good gracious.

Did AJ make any all defensive teams?
I thought his defensive was severely overrated.
Gambled to much for my liking and wasn't physical at all.
Guys got into the lane at will vs OU last year.

Quannas is arguably the best pure point guard in OU history.

No. There is no reasonable argument that puts Quannas ahead of either Mookie Blaylock or Ricky Grace. However, he was the best pure PG since those two; no doubt.

I appreciated the contributions of both Quannas and AJ. However, Quannas was a better defensive player and was more CONSISTENT than AJ. Still, I would have liked to see what a healthy AJ could do over a long-term basis (he was never healthy for long).

Did AJ make any all defensive teams?
I thought his defensive was severely overrated.
Gambled to much for my liking and wasn't physical at all.
Guys got into the lane at will vs OU last year.

I didn't try to claim that AJ was the best defensive pg ever.

You can call it overrated, several guys that know more about the game than either you or I have said otherwise.

And that wasn't just AJ's fault.

No. There is no reasonable argument that puts Quannas ahead of either Mookie Blaylock or Ricky Grace. However, he was the best pure PG since those two; no doubt.

I appreciated the contributions of both Quannas and AJ. However, Quannas was a better defensive player and was more CONSISTENT than AJ. Still, I would have liked to see what a healthy AJ could do over a long-term basis (he was never healthy for long).

its nickzepp just ignore it and it might go away

I didn't try to claim that AJ was the best defensive pg ever.
You can call it overrated, several guys that know more about the game than either you or I have said otherwise.
And that wasn't just AJ's fault.

PG after PG got in the lane and created havoc all year long. Who's fault is it?
With a great PG defender like Quannis you could say you got him and know he'd limit the others PG or the guy would have to work his butt off to have a good game. It just wasn't that way last year. All year long smaller guards and PG's just killed OU. Quannis could control that. In fact he could guard physical combo or 2G types as well. He was tough and versatile. That's what I admired about him.

PG after PG got in the lane and created havoc all year long. Who's fault is it?
With a great PG defender like Quannis you could say you got him and know he'd limit the others PG or the guy would have to work his butt off to have a good game. It just wasn't that way last year. All year long smaller guards and PG's just killed OU. Quannis could control that. In fact he could guard physical combo or 2G types as well. He was tough and versatile. That's what I admired about him.

You want me to go back and find games where White got lit up by other pg's? Because it happened.

There's a difference between what Grace and Blaylock were and what Quannas was. I said best pure point guard. Don't get me wrong Blaylock is the 2nd best player in OU history. Grace is up there with Quannas also as far as point guards go. But Quannas was really the difference from us being just another good team and us being a great team those years.

That's TJ Ford, one of the best PG's in the history of the Big 12, not Courtney Fortson.

TJ Ford probably was the BEST point guard in the history of the Big 12.

The biggest difference I saw between AJ and Quannis was in consistency.
While the overall stats might look similar, AJ seemed to get his in bundles, such as that stretch of games mid-Big 12 last year where he was draining long bombs at the end of what felt like every game. He was truly playing awesome, a better stretch than Quannis ever had. Then he faded some...

Quannis seemed to play more straightline, always dependable, always solid. but rarely lighting it up. Rarely disappearing though, as AJ sometimes did.

I take Quannis over AJ, but I agree it's a closer than one might think.

Back