A couple of thoughts that are really bugging me

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
1. I am going to tread carefully here because I am not trying to completely throw our current guys under the bus, but why the heck did Coach Capel not bring in some late JUCO/prep big men in the 2009 class after he found out that Pattillo was gone. Ryan Wright and Orlando Allen just don't cut it for a program like Oklahoma. They just don't. Surely Cline and Capel knew their personnel. I mean, I understand that guys can improve over the summer, but why take that risk. We had room. We could have brought in two other guys. Now we are stuck with only one legit rebounder and one 6-5 guy with a ton of heart but who can't possibly handle the bigs from Kansas, Texas, A&M, Iowa State ect...

2. Willie Warren really let me down tonight. I have defended him. Made excuses for him. Focused on the positives with him. But tonight, he flat out tanked it on defense. It is embarrassing, and quite frankly, he should ride the pine until he decides that he will play defense. PUT YOUR HANDS UP and contest three pointers. Even if you aren't going to block them. At least make an effort. I feel like I work harder cheering and trying to get folks to the freakin basketball games than that guy does on defense.

Willie Warren should have gone pro last year.

Tonight was a horrible night for the OU basketball program and all that want to see it succeed. Horrible.

1. I am going to tread carefully here because I am not trying to completely throw our current guys under the bus, but why the heck did Coach Capel not bring in some late JUCO/prep big men in the 2009 class after he found out that Pattillo was gone. Ryan Wright and Orlando Allen just don't cut it for a program like Oklahoma. They just don't. Surely Cline and Capel knew their personnel. I mean, I understand that guys can improve over the summer, but why take that risk. We had room. We could have brought in two other guys. Now we are stuck with only one legit rebounder and one 6-5 guy with a ton of heart but who can't possibly handle the bigs from Kansas, Texas, A&M, Iowa State ect...

yes. we could have brought in 2 more guys that were terrible who would keep the bench warm or get kicked out of school for not going to class.
that would have solved all our problems.

yes. we could have brought in 2 more guys that were terrible who would keep the bench warm or get kicked out of school for not going to class.

They can't all be starters and I'm sure capel could have found someone with more skill than Wright/Allen

I sure hope Barry can contribute next year, if Fitz isn't playing more next year then something is very very wrong.

Last edited:

2. Willie Warren really let me down tonight. I have defended him. Made excuses for him. Focused on the positives with him. But tonight, he flat out tanked it on defense. It is embarrassing, and quite frankly, he should ride the pine until he decides that he will play defense. PUT YOUR HANDS UP and contest three pointers. Even if you aren't going to block them. At least make an effort. I feel like I work harder cheering and trying to get folks to the freakin basketball games than that guy does on defense.

Willie Warren should have gone pro last year.

Tonight was a horrible night for the OU basketball program and all that want to see it succeed. Horrible.

BigTime we all felt the pain tonight being an OU basketball fan. But we just can't bring in post players and expecting them to develop by themselves. Look at Kansas, Darnell Jackson wasn't that good coming in, but he developed quickly. I am sure Bill Self had someone working with him days and night ala Danny Manning.

We cant develop post depth unless we play the bench...wright is not the answer so why not try to develop allen and fitz....them playing more will help at the end of the year and def help next year

we HAVE to get 2 or 3 bigs in this years class

They can't all be starters and I'm sure capel could have found someone with more skill than Wright/Allen

I sure hope Barry can contribute next year, if Fitz isn't playing more next year then something is very very wrong.

Neither Fitz nor Barry are anything more than Gilbert/Stone/Szendrei types, at best. This team desperately needs for Capel to stop filling a roster with Allen/Fitz/Honore/Hardrick types. It is ludicrous for OU to have four scholarships going to such mediocre players. None of those guys should ever be more than the 3rd or 4th big at OU.

Honore isn't on scholarship.

Neither Fitz nor Barry are anything more than Gilbert/Stone/Szendrei types, at best. This team desperately needs for Capel to stop filling a roster with Allen/Fitz/Honore/Hardrick types. It is ludicrous for OU to have four scholarships going to such mediocre players. None of those guys should ever be more than the 3rd or 4th big at OU.

Kelvin was able to get players like Gilbert and Szendrei to defend and rebound, why can't Allen/Fitz do the same. I am sure our guards can provide the offense, we sorely need defense and rebound in the middle. We are not asking these guys to be Tim Duncan or Keven Garnet, we only ask them to play defense and rebound.

Kelvin was able to get players like Gilbert and Szendrei to defend and rebound, why can't Allen/Fitz do the same. I am sure our guards can provide the offense, we sorely need defense and rebound in the middle. We are not asking these guys to be Tim Duncan or Keven Garnet, we only ask them to play defense and rebound.

True.

I don't think he can get them to play tough for a couple of reasons. First, that obviously isn't something Jeff emphasizes. Second, I don't think those players are very tough.

As for not asking them to be Duncan or Garnett, I agree. But OU has always had better post duos than we've had this year or will likely have next year. Tiny is talented, but Capel HAD to know that he would have growing pains, given that he has never been a back to the basket type post guy. Why not go get a good JUCO post to put alongside him? Bigabd, help me out, who would have been a good option here?

ABD replying to this post with multiple names and stats of jucos we could've had in 3...2...1...

That is just a rumor we've been throwing around since the post is weak and they are not a lot known recruits right now.

Well, I'd say it's at least a possibility. Either way though, that is a sad group of post players. No offense to any of them, they just all shouldn't be fighting for the 2nd post spot at OU.

1. Why do they have to be terrible? All we needed was one (1) guy that could be an enforcer and rebound. He didn't even have to be able to score. We don't need more offense.

2. So they fail and get kicked out. Good. Then we can bring in a higher ranked guy. We needed our Malcom Kirkland this year. We needed a Jameel Heywood. Believe it or not, there are guys out there that know how to rebound and defend and that go hard.

1. Why do they have to be terrible? All we needed was one (1) guy that could be an enforcer and rebound. He didn't even have to be able to score. We don't need more offense.

2. So they fail and get kicked out. Good. Then we can bring in a higher ranked guy. We needed our Malcom Kirkland this year. We needed a Jameel Heywood. Believe it or not, there are guys out there that know how to rebound and defend and that go hard.

yet we have as tu put it:

"This team desperately needs for Capel to stop filling a roster with Allen/Fitz/Honore/Hardrick types. It is ludicrous for OU to have four scholarships going to such mediocre players."

and i was told capel has and incredible eye for talent.

I say we make Warren defend the other teams 4 as punishment and let crocker do his thing on the other teams 2 :crocker:ez-laugh:

Capel has had more HS kids fit that description than JUCO's.

Maze. Early. Clark (not his recruit). Neysmith.

yet we have as tu put it:

"This team desperately needs for Capel to stop filling a roster with Allen/Fitz/Honore/Hardrick types. It is ludicrous for OU to have four scholarships going to such mediocre players."

ok so lets go back to 4 years ago and skip out on capel.
we don't get Blake, Willie, Cam, TJ, Tiny, TMG.
I understand now.

Top end talent.

I've complained about every class when it came to the rest of the players. Outside of Pledger, I haven't been to impressed with any second tier recruits Capel has brought in. And I've been consistent with that opinion.

Man I just wish Big O could somehow get it together he could at least be Szendrei 2.0 which would do a lot for this team.

Back