A couple of thoughts that are really bugging me

So he was a silent commitment? Capel was required to honor that?

He was really, really highly thought of as a 9th grader. He was supposed to be a 7 footer. He was rated ahead of Orton.

Edit: In Kyle's defense, I don't think his knee injury did him any favors....

I guess you can call it a silent commit. I just think it was the case where a program knew they wanted the kid and the kid wanted to go to OU....

Last edited:
I don't understand the WW bashing. Willie is a terrific player, but average shooter. He's a point guard talent not playing the position and consequently not learning the position.

Also, I tried to make the point weeks ago that WW looked frustrated because the players around him weren't as good. Nobody likes that statement, but the players around WW not being as good, is fact. So, here is the tough question, if that assessment of WW is accurate how can any of you blame him when everyone here is obviously down on this team and acting out their own frustrations?

I am not upset at all at Willie for his offense. Never have been. Sure I wish he was hitting his outside shot, but I know he brings it on offense and tries to do what he can to help his team win.

Your second paragraph is absolutely not true imo. Willie Warren is the one that is letting his teammates down. Willie Warren is the one that is not good enough on defense. He has no one to blame but himself.

That is exactly what I was saying. While he was still highly thought of on the national scene, those that cover Oklahoma athletics already knew that he wasn't going to grow and that he was a major work in progress. It was a classic case of an 8th grader expected to be a "7 footer" that a program decided to take a chance on.

Now I don't know for sure if Capel would have eventually decided to take him or not but it doesn't make sense that he would have because it was really obvious that Kyle wasn't OU caliber by the summer of his Junior year, and OU was in on a ton of good recruits in that class.

He and Orton were really good friends. Hardrick played on the only legit AAU team in the state. It could have potentially hurt OU in the local recruiting scene if Coach Capel had dropped him.
Umm, even if Sampson hadn't offered him when he left I know Capel would've. Everybody including all the recruiting guys were high on Kyle, wasn't he top 25 even 10 in the nation as a sophomore? I am pretty darn sure Capel wanted Kyle for more than just the Athlete's First/local factor when he first got here.

Umm, even if Sampson hadn't offered him when he left I know Capel would've. Everybody including all the recruiting guys were high on Kyle, wasn't he top 25 even 10 in the nation as a sophomore? I am pretty darn sure Capel wanted Kyle for more than just the Athlete's First/local factor when he first got here.

Maybe so, but he had plenty of chances to drop him after he didn't pan out. He didn't. I am simply saying that there are reasons that he didn't.

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/1108/569286.html

OU Basketball Team Signs Recruit
posted 1:46 pm Wed November 12, 2008

Norman - Putnam City High School star Kyle Hardrick has signed a national letter of intent with Oklahoma.

Hardrick signed with OU Wednesday after verbally committing to the Sooners in May 2006.

The 6-foot-8, 230-pound Hardrick is ranked in the top 35 among high school power forwards by recruiting services.

He's a senior this year at Putnam City after transferring during the summer following two years at Norman High School and one at Lawton Eisenhower.

Is this what you're talking about BigTime?

Maybe so, but he had plenty of chances to drop him after he didn't pan out. He didn't. I am simply saying that there are reasons that he didn't.
I agree with you on the dropping part, that is a sign of Capel's honor of what not but it is not like you can point to Samspon as the reason Capel choose to take in Hardick in the first place. Maybe I am just reading your posts wrong though.

I agree with you on the dropping part, that is a sign of Capel's honor of what not but it is not like you can point to Samspon as the reason Capel choose to take in Hardick in the first place. Maybe I am just reading your posts wrong though.

lol

No I see what you are saying. I am just relaying that Kyle Hardrick had committed to playing for Sampson and the Oklahoma basketball program. You are right in saying that Capel had to re-recruit him. I am just telling you that it was smart of Capel to re-recruit him because of the aau implications that might have occured had he not. Obviously, we whiffed on Orton, but at the time, it would have really hurt OU's chances with DO and other Oklahoma kids if Capel had told him no.

Regardless of whether Hardrick committed to Capel or Sampson, we had an extra ship to use last year and we should've used it on the best juco big available.

I think just about everybody on this board had their questions about Wright and Orlando's ability to contribute after having already seen them the year before. That's what Sampson did so well that kept us in the tournament every year, was supplement and fill needs with quality jucos.

Regardless of whether Hardrick committed to Capel or Sampson, we had an extra ship to use last year and we should've used it on the best juco big available.

I think just about everybody on this board had their questions about Wright and Orlando's ability to contribute after having already seen them the year before. That's what Sampson did so well that kept us in the tournament every year, was supplement and fill needs with quality jucos.

yup. We actually had two ships (gave one to Gerber).

Neither Fitz nor Barry are anything more than Gilbert/Stone/Szendrei types, at best. This team desperately needs for Capel to stop filling a roster with Allen/Fitz/Honore/Hardrick types. It is ludicrous for OU to have four scholarships going to such mediocre players. None of those guys should ever be more than the 3rd or 4th big at OU.

Epke Udoh would have been nice.

Good thread, Bigtime.

But how can you not be frustrated with the fact that Coach Capel and his staff didn't bring in another couple of post players? I am allowed to be upset with a move that he made/failed to make without giving up on the season.

If you have two scholarships you can offer a couple of athletes from juco that can come in to play defense, foul, and contribute something. Andrew Fitzgerald can't get off the bench on a team that has a depleted frontcourt, that tells me a lot about him right now. I think he has a future, but he clearly isnt there yet.

Good thread, Bigtime.

If you have two scholarships you can offer a couple of athletes from juco that can come in to play defense, foul, and contribute something. Andrew Fitzgerald can't get off the bench on a team that has a depleted frontcourt, that tells me a lot about him right now. I think he has a future, but he clearly isnt there yet.
It's strange because in the first couple of games (competition is noted) he was light years ahead of Ryan Wright. (which is like saying someone can beat thebigabd one on one) It's like he fell off a cliff.

It's strange because in the first couple of games (competition is noted) he was light years ahead of Ryan Wright. (which is like saying someone can beat thebigabd one on one) It's like he fell off a cliff.

Yep... That first game he had 14 and 7, which Orlando and Ryan Wright are literally unable to do against anyone at the D-1 level and you would think he is light years ahead of them. Its exactly as you say, he just fell off a cliff.

Yep... That first game he had 14 and 7, which Orlando and Ryan Wright are literally unable to do against anyone at the D-1 level and you would think he is light years ahead of them. Its exactly as you say, he just fell off a cliff.
I even raced home in a stupor to change my avatar, and am now too lazy to change it. Capel raved about him in preseason practice. To be honest, I think at some point you have to just throw a guy out there for extended minutes. What's the worst that can happen, you get run out of the gym and ripped apart by mid-majors? (UTEP is a Sweet 16 team actually, but still)

Back