A Few Thoughts - Moving Forward

atlantasooner

Reaction score
You cannot put out the ****show season that Sherri is putting out there and not expect things to change.

1. Should Sherri resign on her own?? Yes. It's time to move on. She's unraveling the great program she created.
This complete disaster of a season is all her fault. She controls every aspect of the program.
Recruiting the roster, managing the roster = F
Coaching = F
Player development = F
Staff management = F (so far Gasso appears to be the only coach that escape the nepotism death curse. It got Bob. Men's hoops appears infected. And Sherri had a legit chance to magically upgrade her coaching staff and hired her son. If I was JoeC I'd be implementing a no relative hiring policy right now before LR tries to hire his brother at some point. )

And let's be honest the incoming recruiting class is not so talented that it's going to magically fix things. The lack of length in the roster is still a massive problem. There's no Wayman Tisdale, Blake Griffin enrolling next year. So you lose Sherri and you lose a recruit or two?
BFD. The program is not going in the right direction anyway.

Sherri is so out of touch with running a championship program there's no way to project her ever winning a Big 12 title again. But as Bob proved walking away from that big paycheck and big ego is tough. So she won't resign even though she's burned out and has no idea how to right the ship any longer.

2. Will Joe C fire Sherri? I find it hard to believe Gallogly is not going to ask WTF is going on while he's purging the rest of the university.
I think the possibility exists if Sherri refuses to make changes that he may have no choice.

3. What changes must Sherri make to stay?
Staff Overhaul - fire Colton at a minimum
Recruiting Process Overhaul - down to the studs. The whole process. She needs to find a Drew Hill type person.
Social media/Marketing Overhaul - LR is the number one social media coach in the country. OU just signed their best football class in 15 years. And that's with total chaos on the defensive side of the ball.

The problem right now is not anger directed at the state of women's hoops. It's the level of apathy directed at women's hoops. No one really cares.

Atlanta be careful you are crossing over to the dark side where there is no returning for criticising Sherri & staff.;)

He’s right, Atlanta. You’ve now crossed over to the dark side and Syb will no longer be sending you Christmas greetings and love notes.😁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some have earned the right to be heard. Atlanta has been there and has supported the program. Some have been there more than Atlanta. Some have been only negative since..........those, are disregarded.

Atlanta - you are right on and we can only hope that some changes are in the future, if it's firing moma's boy and others, change recruiting methods or even letting SC go but something must be done.

I think 99% of the people on here have seen enough of SC. I've never said anything about her as a person but I have let it be known my feelings of her as a coach and it isn't much.
This downward run isn't new, it's been coming for years now. Looks like Lon may be getting some heat, from the fans anyway....happens. If anyone thinks that SC is going to reach those glory days again..you're living in a dream world. That ship has sailed and sunk

I think 99% of the people on here have seen enough of SC. I've never said anything about her as a person but I have let it be known my feelings of her as a coach and it isn't much.
This downward run isn't new, it's been coming for years now. Looks like Lon may be getting some heat, from the fans anyway....happens. If anyone thinks that SC is going to reach those glory days again..you're living in a dream world. That ship has sailed and sunk

Personally I think attaining the past glory days of the Sherri Coale era are gone for good nationally. And at least as long as a lady named Kim coaches in Waco, TX on the conference level.

But I do envision a new coach could elevate the program to the point of being a serious contender for conference championship 5-7 years per decade and winning 2 or 3 of those years. Anything more I think is living in a dream world. Baylor is not going away and Texas is going to continually have a lot more talent most years. That is going to necessitate some superior coaching, better recruiting and player development to be an annual contender. I think all three are beyond Sherri's skill set.

Still I would give Sherri 2-3 years to prove me wrong. She has earned that right.

Personally I think attaining the past glory days of the Sherri Coale era are gone for good nationally. And at least as long as a lady named Kim coaches in Waco, TX on the conference level.

But I do envision a new coach could elevate the program to the point of being a serious contender for conference championship 5-7 years per decade and winning 2 or 3 of those years. Anything more I think is living in a dream world. Baylor is not going away and Texas is going to continually have a lot more talent most years. That is going to necessitate some superior coaching, better recruiting and player development to be an annual contender. I think all three are beyond Sherri's skill set.

Still I would give Sherri 2-3 years to prove me wrong. She has earned that right.

Are you going to say that after next year when they are 5-17 again? How many of those has she earned. She is on track to break her record of 5-22 in her first year.

I agree with Speedy on this one. Should they continue to wait or cut the loses before more occur? She really should have stepped away and took another position at least a few years ago before continuing the downhill ride including the hiring of her son. That just made matters worse, but I guess SC maybe had a right to do so considering a precedent had been set by the FB program hiring relatives. It might have been seen as some type of "discrimination" if a woman was not able to do the same, even if there is a lack of experience and knowledge.

Who steps aways from $$$$$ (in her case $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) if you don't have to? Maybe only those that care about the program more than $$$$$$$.

I don't see the team improving the next 2-3 years; not even with next years class. Three years ago would have been the prime time to "refresh" the program with SOME dignity for all. Imagine the potential upcoming headlines: "SC Goes Full Circle...Right Back Where She Started", "SC Does a 360 at OU"...

I would give her two more years "IF" and I mean "IF" she gets new staff and recruits better..............you know, like TALLER girls...... SHE needs to change her ways.....

Are you going to say that after next year when they are 5-17 again? How many of those has she earned. She is on track to break her record of 5-22 in her first year.

I think two years to get back to 20 win seasons. I would not be surprised to see the Sooners have another losing season next year but I think Sherri's taking OU to the NCAA tournament for 19 consecutive years cannot be overlooked. Coming into this year she averged 20 wins for the last 5 years and 22.7 wins for the last 10 years. Among active Power 5 coaches she ranks 11th in wins and 21st in winning percentage. Those numbers just cannot be disregarded.

You nor I have been happy with the last 5-8 years of team performance but that is based on the standard Sherri established 2000-2010. Those days have passed and I don't see them returning. But while I don't see how, she has earned the right IMHO to return to her winning ways and hopefully to 22+ win standard within the next 3 years.

I agree with Speedy on this one. Should they continue to wait or cut the loses before more occur? She really should have stepped away and took another position at least a few years ago before continuing the downhill ride including the hiring of her son. That just made matters worse, but I guess SC maybe had a right to do so considering a precedent had been set by the FB program hiring relatives. It might have been seen as some type of "discrimination" if a woman was not able to do the same, even if there is a lack of experience and knowledge.

Who steps aways from $$$$$ (in her case $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) if you don't have to? Maybe only those that care about the program more than $$$$$$$.

I don't see the team improving the next 2-3 years; not even with next years class. Three years ago would have been the prime time to "refresh" the program with SOME dignity for all. Imagine the potential upcoming headlines: "SC Goes Full Circle...Right Back Where She Started", "SC Does a 360 at OU"...

Marsha Sharp at Texas Tech stepped away before the program fell to the bottom. It has never recovered in Lubbock. This is why Kim Mulkey talks about teams that used to win championships never getting it back. This is the situation Sherri is in. If you ride the ship to the ultimate crash, the crash will be all that anyone remembers.

If it was just continuing recruiting/talent issues. I'd say Sherri should be given time for the influx of better players to aggregate and then in a year when the best 7 are upperclassman then judge her on that team making a run.
But things have completely collapsed on the court This team is a mess. It's bleeding all over the place and there's no triage occurring at all.
Sherri appears from all results clueless in how to fix it. Nothing she has tried has worked.
It's like I'm watching Mike Stoops coaching women's hoops.
The hire of Colton showed incredibly bad judgement. That was her LR moment,
and she hired another Stoops Brother.
Team chemistry is a disaster. The lineup has not stabilized all season long.
The year over year improvement from players is non existent.
These are all things that Sherri usually was great at. How many times did she
rally the second half of the season and drive the squad into the NCAAs.
Shaina's descent into irrelevance is shocking. Maddening. Extremely worrisome.
Ana's injury certainly has played a role early in the year, but it should not have led
to this level of embarrassment.

I'd love to see Sherri fix this. But it's gone too far. Too quickly. We've reached
coup d'etat phase in terms of crisis of confidence.
We need new leadership new energy, new ideas, and someone better able to relate to a wider, diverse group of recruit and players.

We haven't had any injuries this year. It is hard to believe we are this bad without injuries.

The recruiting has been weak for a long time. It is not as simple as just getting some new assistants. Recruiting has to start with the head coach. It is not something that can be turned over to the staff.

I can't believe we run an offense dependent on bounce passes to centers who cannot catch them.

We’ve done that forever. I mean, since Stacy Dales. It doesn’t matter who does it, it’s almost like those passes are never above shin level.🤷🏻*♂️🤦*♂️

Has anyone seen what the buyout is for Sherri’s contract? That will be a factor even if Joe C is otherwise ready to pull the trigger.

Should we need a new coach someone we should seriously consider is Carolyn Kieger of Marquette.

I’ve never seen or read anything about her buyout terms, probably a couple of years’ salary at least.

I usually walk the arena top level during halftime at the home games. I have been doing this for years. It struck me as I was walking at the KSU game that many many workers are necessary to conduct these events. We have to be losing a lot of money considering the paltry attendance. We also go to the Courtside Club pre-game food fest and sit with different people every time. Everyone we sit with complains about Sherri and the downward direction of the program.

Women’s basketball coach Sherri Coale was extended through 2021

that was in an article dated June 2016.

Looks like average attendance is around 3200 for Big XII. Connecticut game brought in 5800 fans. I would suspect many purchase their season tickets whether they go or not.

All the womens BB scholarships are/were endowed (are they still?), which is a huge chunk of money.

Last edited:
It doesn't take much to get a scholarship offer from OU WBB from what I've seen brought in over the years. Paying for someone's education is fine, but how much money have we put into players that never really contributed? Seems like there's usually one dud in each class lately, which is sad. This all lies in SC and her behavior in recruiting; one of the many things she's doing wrong.
I hope something changes come May. If nothing changes at all then we know how much our AD really cares about WBB at OU IMHO.

Back