A little Practice report from today's practice

Sam

Reaction score
Got the chance to watch about a hour of today's practice as the student group "The Capelables" had our first meeting of the school year and getting to watch the team practice was apart of that.

These are just some things I noticed while watching, only time I've seen the team this year so don't put too much stock into it as it was just a hour long session but I thought you guys might like the input.

- Tony Crocker
I got pretty pumped about Crocker after reading Henzo's article about Barnes last week were he mentioned Tony playing really well. Well I agree with Barnes' assessment from the hour long portion I saw. Tony appeared to be shooting better and seemed to be showing leadership skills as I could hear him talking on defense when the team ran some 5-5. Tony still tried to drive the lane once on a fast break and forced a bad shot out of it. It just seems like that Senior light has came on for Tony ala Taylor Griffin last year and we might be in a big treat from Tony this season.

- TMG
He is built for such a short guy, just strong, quick, good elevation on his jumper. He's like a little bulldog out there as I bet his strength and low center of gravity is going to make him a force to be reckoned with when taking it to the hole. If Eaton could shot better from deep and didn't hit the buffet line so much you would have TMG. Also can we get this boy some tats? He doesn't have any tats at all, he needs some ink (sarcasm). Going to be a great 4 year player for OU.

- Andrew Fitzgerald
First thing I feel needs to be said about Fitz he is just a little shorter than Ryan Wright so he is a legit 6'7 6'8 so the worries of him being an undersized post are not needed. He hit a nice mid range jumper from about a step back from the free throw line during some 5-5. He seems like a classic text book hard nose player, if Ryan and Orlando aren't careful I could see him taking some of their minutes this season.

- Steven Pledger
He can shoot, I know it has been said on here before but I've now seen it with my own eyes. He can shoot, just a pretty jumper. Tries hard but I saw him make some freshman like mistakes (turnover from a sloppy pass) you can still tell he is adjusting some to the college game but with his ability to shoot he is going to be another nice 4 year player.

- Cade Davis
Same ol Cade, does the little things and gives great effort. I saw him go to the basket a little more today in more a play maker role and given his size and passing ability I wouldn't mind to see this during the season. Shot is pretty much like last year.

- Tiny Gallon
Almost didn't recognize him at first on the court cuz he was so skinny you can tell when he plays how much his shape is improving his game. During the post drills he was getting off the floor quick and throwing it down. Still got the same shot, handles and passing. What can I say this kid was a top 10 player in the nation and it shows, it also shows all the effort he is putting in to getting into shape. Also from what I saw it seems rebounding will be a big thing Tiny needs to focus on this season.

- Ryan Wright
Didn't really stand out, but he showed some post moves in the 5-5 and did a good job on the boards. Like Crocker he seemed to be talking more on defense than others, guess it is a Senior trait to some extent. Ryan was banging with Tiny down low so hopefully with all the offensive talent on the team he will be like a more talented and bigger Johnnie Gilbert down low. Be a garbage man of sorts, grab some boards, play hard nose defense and get some hustle points while providing some leadership.

- Orlando Allen
Looks a bit more comfortable out there then he did last year, didn't look as out of place as he did. Still had some issues with his hands but they were an improvement, he was a more vocal guy as well but that seems to fit with his outgoing personality. Looks to be in better shape as he had no issue getting up and down the court and he is by far the biggest guy on the team as he might be getting close to 6'11 in shoes.

- Ray Willis
I remember at the open practice for the students last season Ray never passed up a jumper. While he still took a couple he seemed more willing to pass and fit in the system. Also looked like he has bought into the team more as he was doing a good job at getting on the offensive glass using his height and length to fight for some offensive boards (even got a couple).

- Kyle Hadrick
Looks young and a little skinny, needs to add some weigh but he's young and has some time to improve. With the level of competition and size OU has down low I can only seeing him improving with the talent he has and being ready to go when his number is called.

- Beau Gerber
He can dunk and I hope he throws one down during a game.

- Ryan Randolph
I'll be honest I didn't pay much attention to him but from what little I did see he seems to be in a similar mold as a Michael Cano .

- Barry Honore
I'm pretty impressed with Barry, first it looks like he lost a little weight but he still moves pretty well for man his size. Even had some good dunks during post drills. I like what he could be after spending some time on the Yoyo plan, thinking maybe a Johnnie Gilbert type player by his Senior year.

- Willie Warren
Are you ready for WWIII?
Well I am as I expect some big things from Willie this year and he played well, same great shooting touch, didn't show off his driving that much but he seemed to have better court vision (would've had a sweet assist on a mini-fast break off a rebound if Ray had just kept running hard). Willie looks ready to have a big season as he threw down one of his break away dunks off a steal. Willie was also like Crocker and Ryan to some extent as I saw him talking on defense a little more then he did last year.

Some other tidbits

- Yoyo spent the majority of the practice watching on a stair master, man he is an animal.

- Like some have said, this year is going to be more of a guard offense as there is definitely talent and depth at the guard spots. Now they are a little young but this is might be the most talented back courts I've seen in Norman since 2002. Even saw them run a 4 guard set for a little.

- Don't think it means much at this point of the season (heck official practices haven't even started yet) but the lineup that went through first on most team drills was TMG, WWIII, Crocker, Ryan and Andrew Fitzgerald. I take this as a sign Andrew is doing things the right way and working hard.

- Tony Crocker is one of the few players to ever beaten Coach Capel at horse.

- Capel remains impressed with the student turnout last year and the reception to season tickets this season. I can take this as a good sign long term for Capel being at OU.

If I can remember anything else I'll try to post it.

Thanks Sam. And thanks to those that attended the Capelables meeting. I think the group is in good hands.

Got the chance to watch about a hour of today's practice as the student group "The Capelables" had our first meeting of the school year and getting to watch the team practice was apart of that.

These are just some things I noticed while watching, only time I've seen the team this year so don't put too much stock into it as it was just a hour long session but I thought you guys might like the input.

- Tony Crocker
I got pretty pumped about Crocker after reading Henzo's article about Barnes last week were he mentioned Tony playing really well. Well I agree with Barnes' assessment from the hour long portion I saw. Tony appeared to be shooting better and seemed to be showing leadership skills as I could hear him talking on defense when the team ran some 5-5. Tony still tried to drive the lane once on a fast break and forced a bad shot out of it. It just seems like that Senior light has came on for Tony ala Taylor Griffin last year and we might be in a big treat from Tony this season.

- TMG
He is built for such a short guy, just strong, quick, good elevation on his jumper. He's like a little bulldog out there as I bet his strength and low center of gravity is going to make him a force to be reckoned with when taking it to the hole. If Eaton could shot better from deep and didn't hit the buffet line so much you would have TMG. Also can we get this boy some tats? He doesn't have any tats at all, he needs some ink (sarcasm). Going to be a great 4 year player for OU.

- Andrew Fitzgerald
First thing I feel needs to be said about Fitz he is just a little shorter than Ryan Wright so he is a legit 6'7 6'8 so the worries of him being an undersized post are not needed. He hit a nice mid range jumper from about a step back from the free throw line during some 5-5. He seems like a classic text book hard nose player, if Ryan and Orlando aren't careful I could see him taking some of their minutes this season.

- Steven Pledger
He can shoot, I know it has been said on here before but I've now seen it with my own eyes. He can shoot, just a pretty jumper. Tries hard but I saw him make some freshman like mistakes (turnover from a sloppy pass) you can still tell he is adjusting some to the college game but with his ability to shoot he is going to be another nice 4 year player.

- Cade Davis
Same ol Cade, does the little things and gives great effort. I saw him go to the basket a little more today in more a play maker role and given his size and passing ability I wouldn't mind to see this during the season. Shot is pretty much like last year.

- Tiny Gallon
Almost didn't recognize him at first on the court cuz he was so skinny you can tell when he plays how much his shape is improving his game. During the post drills he was getting off the floor quick and throwing it down. Still got the same shot, handles and passing. What can I say this kid was a top 10 player in the nation and it shows, it also shows all the effort he is putting in to getting into shape. Also from what I saw it seems rebounding will be a big thing Tiny needs to focus on this season.

- Ryan Wright
Didn't really stand out, but he showed some post moves in the 5-5 and did a good job on the boards. Like Crocker he seemed to be talking more on defense than others, guess it is a Senior trait to some extent. Ryan was banging with Tiny down low so hopefully with all the offensive talent on the team he will be like a more talented and bigger Johnnie Gilbert down low. Be a garbage man of sorts, grab some boards, play hard nose defense and get some hustle points while providing some leadership.

- Orlando Allen
Looks a bit more comfortable out there then he did last year, didn't look as out of place as he did. Still had some issues with his hands but they were an improvement, he was a more vocal guy as well but that seems to fit with his outgoing personality. Looks to be in better shape as he had no issue getting up and down the court and he is by far the biggest guy on the team as he might be getting close to 6'11 in shoes.

- Ray Willis
I remember at the open practice for the students last season Ray never passed up a jumper. While he still took a couple he seemed more willing to pass and fit in the system. Also looked like he has bought into the team more as he was doing a good job at getting on the offensive glass using his height and length to fight for some offensive boards (even got a couple).

- Kyle Hadrick
Looks young and a little skinny, needs to add some weigh but he's young and has some time to improve. With the level of competition and size OU has down low I can only seeing him improving with the talent he has and being ready to go when his number is called.

- Beau Gerber

- Ryan Randolph
I'll be honest I didn't pay much attention to him but from what little I did see he seems to be in a similar mold as a Michael Cano .

- Barry Honore
I'm pretty impressed with Barry, first it looks like he lost a little weight but he still moves pretty well for man his size. Even had some good dunks during post drills. I like what he could be after spending some time on the Yoyo plan, thinking maybe a Johnnie Gilbert type player by his Senior year.

- Willie Warren
Are you ready for WWIII?
Well I am as I expect some big things from Willie this year and he played well, same great shooting touch, didn't show off his driving that much but he seemed to have better court vision (would've had a sweet assist on a mini-fast break off a rebound if Ray had just kept running hard). Willie looks ready to have a big season as he threw down one of his break away dunks off a steal. Willie was also like Crocker and Ryan to some extent as I saw him talking on defense a little more then he did last year.

Some other tidbits

- Yoyo spent the majority of the practice watching on a stair master, man he is an animal.

- Like some have said, this year is going to be more of a guard offense as there is definitely talent and depth at the guard spots. Now they are a little young but this is might be the most talented back courts I've seen in Norman since 2002. Even saw them run a 4 guard set for a little.

- Don't think it means much at this point of the season (heck official practices haven't even started yet) but the lineup that went through first on most team drills was TMG, WWIII, Crocker, Ryan and Andrew Fitzgerald. I take this as a sign Andrew is doing things the right way and working hard.

- Tony Crocker is one of the few players to ever beaten Coach Capel at horse.

- Capel remains impressed with the student turnout last year and the reception to season tickets this season. I can take this as a good sign long term for Capel being at OU.

If I can remember anything else I'll try to post it.

what tiny wasnt with the 1s

I know you only got to watch an hour, but overall did you leave more impressed than you thought you would be, less impressed or about what you expected.

This just in...Pledger can really play...From this report and what coach said on the radio...where does Pledger stand now? Shoots, defends, works hard, passes...Sounds like a great find

what tiny wasnt with the 1s
It wasn't an offical number 1 group as it was just the first unit to go through drills when they were doing team drills. Still a long way till season as the offical practices will change a lot but I thought this was more a credit to Fitz and his work ethic then Tiny who has obviously been working hard to get in the shape he has been in.
I know you only got to watch an hour, but overall did you leave more impressed than you thought you would be, less impressed or about what you expected.
I would say more impressed based on the new guys, the returning guys weren't too surprising as I knew what to expect based on last year and what I'd been reading on here. But to see the new guys with my own eyes really was nice as Fitz and Pledger really seemed to be good players. I like what the future holds for Sooner Basketball as Fitz, Pledger, TMG and Hardrick seem like great 4 year guys.

Beau Gerber

Did you ever think he couldn't dunk? He is a big guy and could have gotten a scholarship to play college ball. It would have been d-II or mid-major (and probably a lower mid-major) but they guy can play ball. You don't get to walk on at OU unless you are good. They don't let guys like me come around and Fup practice falling all over myself.

Denver I read it as "He CAN dunk".....like he can really throw down some good dunks not that the poster didn't think he could dunk at all and was surprised. That's just how I read it....I can't speak for how the original poster meant it.

Good to hear this team has no weaknesses. :D

I am not sure what you wanted him to say. We only got to watch them for around 20 minutes of live game action. Frankly, other than some forced passes and guys being out of position, there weren't a whole lot of gaping weaknesses. This team, on the whole, can shoot much better that last year's squad. Let's hope that carries over to the games.

Did you ever think he couldn't dunk? He is a big guy and could have gotten a scholarship to play college ball. It would have been d-II or mid-major (and probably a lower mid-major) but they guy can play ball. You don't get to walk on at OU unless you are good. They don't let guys like me come around and Fup practice falling all over myself.
More of an attempt at humor since it seems like the perception of Beau to some extent is as a goofy white guy.

I know Capel was on with Al last night and he mentioned little tidbits on most of the players. Said in the past couple of workouts that TMG was the best player on the floor (and that included Willie). Mentioned Crock is up to 210lbs and is more explosive athletically than last year. Said every year before practice gets rolling that put something in the players hand and they jump up and slap it on the backboard. Last year they left Blakes mark on the board and he didnt figure than anyone would come close to it. But Crock apparently missed it by a couple of inches. Mentioned that Tiny is down to 292 and would like to get him at about 285 or so. Really a great interview. Al asked him about getting all these elite level recruits to visit campus and Capel went on about changing the perception of the program. He said that most programs when going against OU for these kids bring up the "OU hasnt put any players in the NBA" bit, but with BG and TG getting drafted this last year is helping immensly(sp) in turning that argument around. I have always been impressed with Capel, but with each interview I become more and more impressed.

. Said in the past couple of workouts that TMG was the best player on the floor (and that included Willie).

WOW!!! Awesome to hear that TMG is progressing nicely. :clap

WOW!!! Awesome to hear that TMG is progressing nicely. :clap

The guy has huge arms and very broad shoulders. He is going to be very tough to bump off the ball. Far different from a guy like Drew Lav or A.J. in that sense.

I am not sure what you wanted him to say. We only got to watch them for around 20 minutes of live game action. Frankly, other than some forced passes and guys being out of position, there weren't a whole lot of gaping weaknesses. This team, on the whole, can shoot much better that last year's squad. Let's hope that carries over to the games.

It was more of a joke, I doubt Capel would let a bunch of students view anything more than a light scrimmage. How was the rebounding, are we going to have trouble on the glass? Movement off the ball? Are the big-men getting out to hedge screens? How do the guys look comfortable in a half court (even though they probably aren't running any sets)? Are the bigs able to play with their back to the baskert? Those are just a few I'm interested in knowing.

This team has a ton of talent (TMG is going to be a flat out stud in his career), just curious how they play TOGETHER not in their individual parts. It's easy for Mossman to put a video up on soonersports.com of a player playing well in practice, no one wants to talk about someone's deficiencies until it happens in a real game. Then everyone gets critical and piles it on.

Back