A little Practice report from today's practice

Thanks, Sam. It's always nice to get a different perspective on the team.

Al asked him about getting all these elite level recruits to visit campus and Capel went on about changing the perception of the program. He said that most programs when going against OU for these kids bring up the "OU hasnt put any players in the NBA" bit, but with BG and TG getting drafted this last year is helping immensly(sp) in turning that argument around.

:clap

:kelvin

It was more of a joke, I doubt Capel would let a bunch of students view anything more than a light scrimmage. How was the rebounding, are we going to have trouble on the glass? Movement off the ball? Are the big-men getting out to hedge screens? How do the guys look comfortable in a half court (even though they probably aren't running any sets)? Are the bigs able to play with their back to the baskert? Those are just a few I'm interested in knowing.
I think rebounding is something we will need to keep an eye on. Ryan and Fitz seemed like the best rebounders we had right now and like I mentioned earlier rebounding seems to be a factor for Tiny as Capel seems to expect good rebounding down low in order for them to run like he wants them to. Like some have said on here it is going to be more a team effort this year with Crocker, Cade, etc possibly needing to crash more on the defensive boards earlier on this year. This seems like an error where Ray Willis could find his niche as he may be skinny be has a long wingspan which could be useful on the boards.

Movement off the ball seemed to be another factor as Capel would sometimes stop practice and focus on that. The offense is really going to be a switch in gears this year as we no longer have the beast down low to throw it in to and get points or fouls. I would assume the movement off the ball and the adjustments/getting used to each other will be more of a focus later this week when real practice starts.

Screens and screen technique was also discussed some as some of the individual drills were working on some pick and pops along with rolls.

Ryan was the only big I noticed that looked comfortable in a traditional back to basket roll. Tiny showed a little but he still seems to be more a face up player with his handles and shot based on high school experience.

Denver I read it as "He CAN dunk".....like he can really throw down some good dunks not that the poster didn't think he could dunk at all and was surprised. That's just how I read it....I can't speak for how the original poster meant it.

I think you are right.

More of an attempt at humor since it seems like the perception of Beau to some extent is as a goofy white guy.

Those are fools that have never played with a walkon D-1 player. You have to be darn good to walk on at a school like OU. When they want to work on offensive rebounding they don't need me clanging jumpers off the rim, they just use the bubble.

Back