AAU Tourney in Dallas

DFWHoopster

Reaction score
I didn't attend but spoke to someone who did. Here's the report I got:

Impressive:

Taylor- good all around game
Julian Washburn- dominated his game
Perry Jones- solid rebounding and double figure scoring. Had one coast to coast play that wowed those there.

Poor Showing:

Pressey- didn't hustle; didn't seem to score any points; took the day off. Surprising given everything I have heard about the kid. Probably an off night or was just looking to set up his teammates.

LaQuinton Ross' team (Rivals #1 in 2011) from Mississippi didn't make it in was the word I got. I will add more as it comes.

DFW thanks for the update. What's the scoop on the Julian Washburn recruitment? What have you heard? Who would you compare his game to?

DFW thanks for the update. What's the scoop on the Julian Washburn recruitment? What have you heard? Who would you compare his game to?

Here is what Washburn has said recently: "(Recruiting) is going good," Washburn said. "I've got no favorites, but I've got some schools – Texas, Texas A&M, Kansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Memphis and Arizona."

I saw him play for Duncanville twice last year. He looked like a fluid athlete- Josh Carter at A&M comes to mind. Smooth jumper. You don't get to see much offense at Duncanville from anyone except Shawn Williams, Roger Frankin and Dowell. Those three never saw teammates sitting on the rim therefore the ball didn't get passed much.

Franklin (OSU) is a Taylor Griffin type. He's a glue guy but he is probably 6'4" so it remains to be seen how effective he will be. But he's tough and fights hard for rebounds and seems to play smart for the most part. I wasn't impressed with Dowell (OSU) or Williams (UT). I am sure they have talent or they wouldn't have been offered lots of scholarship opportunities but both seemed to have low basketball IQ.

I notice Washburn has an offer from OU. Do you think that is conditional since OU is also in on more highly rated Barnes & Clark?

I think Clark is OU's first choice as far as talent and possibility. If Clark is going to come to OU I think the OU coaches have a good Idea of that. Washburn has been looked at as a hybrid 4 by alot. I've heard his jumper needs work, but is a good slasher from the perimeter. Personally I'm not a big fan of his because of the lack of stats he put up at Duncanville. However I understand that he played with 3 other top 150 in 2008 and a supposedly top 10 kid. He got alot props for a good defensive effort on Barnes in Arkansas and I'm sure OU would be glad to have him. If it was a decision between Clark and Washburn It's obvious it would be Clark.

I would love to land both Clark and Washburn. That would really put us in good shape as far as having talented wings over the next couple of years.

I would love to land both Clark and Washburn. That would really put us in good shape as far as having talented wings over the next couple of years.

Do you see Washburn as a wing? I haven't seen him play, so I can't say for sure. I imagine he played wing at Duncanville with Franklin and Jones in the post. I think Pierre will end up getting him. If he goes to OSU he can kiss any aspirations of playing a wing out of the question since he isn't a prolific shooter. My personal pecking order of guys that OU can realistically get would be Clark, McCallum, Oyediji, Pressey, and Cobbins.

Washburn is a wing from what I have seen. He has a nice inside game when he posts up shorter players but he's not a PF. He's a 3. His shot is pretty good from what I have seen. There just weren't enough shots to go around for him and Perry Jones last year. Those two had to get their points in transition and offensive rebounding.

Have you saw Dre Evans? What type of player is he? I'm curious about Evans and Ricky Scott. They may be OU recruits if they fall off on the bigtime recruits they are looking at.

Back