Andrew Fitzgerald....

thebigabd

Reaction score
Perhaps he is not ready to contribute? After a promising opener he is averaging 1 point and 0 rebounds over the last 2 games. He has only played a combined 14 minutes in those two games and has pretty much done nothing...

He's played little because of matchups. Both ULM and VCU played small which made us counter with four wings and one post much of both games.

He's played little because of matchups. Both ULM and VCU played small which made us counter with four wings and one post much of both games.

Pretty much every team in the Big 12 outside of Kansas will play that way... That is not an excuse.

It is an excuse. If you don't matchup, you don't play. He'll probably see more minutes against Texas and KU than he will against OSU simply because of matchups.

It is an excuse. If you don't matchup, you don't play. He'll probably see more minutes against Texas and KU than he will against OSU simply because of matchups.

Texas has Damion James.

Wouldn't it be just as hard for a guard from VCU to matchup with Fitzgerald?
That's not just it.

It's a poor excuse. If you can't exploit a size advantage against ULM, something's wrong.

Not saying he's not talented - I've never even seen him play - but I would guess he's not ready. You don't try to match up with teams like that. You force them to try to match up to you.

I would guess that the downside of Fitz trying to match up with them is greater than the upside of trying to force them to match up with Fitz.

It is a stupid excuse, make teams adjust to us. OU's lack of depth in the post is a major concern, not only for this season but in the future as well. I hope Capel can land some post players.

Is it reasonable to expect a team with upper classmen to worry overmuch about "matching up" with a freshman? Anybody remember that he IS a freshman? Along with every player (WW this game), bad games and stretches of bad games happen. I can hardly imagine how steep the learning curve is for these youngsters, and it's worse, I would think, playing against experienced, quick, well coached players playing fast.

Last edited:
Is it reasonable to expect a team with upper classmen to worry overmuch about "matching up" with a freshman? Anybody remember that he IS a freshman? Along with every player (WW this game), bad games and stretches of bad games happen. I can hardly imagine how steep the learning curve is for these youngsters, and it's worse, I would think, playing against experienced, quick, well coached players playing fast.

Yes, we remember that. That was the opening post by ABD...that he may not be ready. Then it immediately went away from that to he didn't play because of matchups. Tiny is a freshmen and he played. Why? Cuz he's ready. Fitz will be fine...he just needs time. Which is what ABD said.
If you really think Jeff Capel and OU adjust THEIR lineups and how they play to accomodate Louisiana-Monroe than we've got bigger problems.
The best lineup OU has right now probably is going small as well with 4 guards and Tiny. Problem with that is when the meat of the schedule and the Big 12 starts that lineup will get pounded. Because I guarantee KU, Texas, etc aren't throwing 4 guards out there to adjust. Hopefully, Fitz or Wright will be ready by that time.

Whether it's a good or poor excuse is not important. I'm just offering up the possibilities. There is however no doubt that in college ball it's all about matchups. VCU played Sanders in the post and we didn't really have an answer for him on the defensive end.....he took himself out of the game with stupid fouls. When they had to play his backup we fared slightly better. Our posts played 54 minutes last night which means we had only one on the floor for all but 14 minutes. That's because we had to deal with their backcourt players which is where you'd have thought we had the advantage.....and we normally would have except our guards shot terribly, made poor decisions with the ball on offense and made an average shooting team look like allstars with their perimeter defensive play.

Well he darn sure better keep getting minutes because OU has to have a three man rotation in the post come Big XII play. Perhaps they can cover it a little with a smaller lineup but the Sooners must have 3 servicable bigmen.

People seem to be freaking out a bit. I thought OU would win that game but this season has gone pretty much like I thought it would if not better. I expected the freshman to ge up and down. Honestly, Gallon, TMG and Pledger have only been up to this point (I guess you could say Gallon was down a little in ULM game but he still got 10 boards).

What bothers me the most is that Ray Willis looks like he is not going to contribute at all this season. He needs to learn the he has to contribute without scoring first and then the scoring will take care of itself because he is a good offensive player. He took a contested three early in the shot clock within about 1 minute of getting on the court and probably the first time he touched the ball. That is not going to cut it in college basketball.

Why do we have multiple post about bad interior play by one guy. I'm the first to agree OU has some matchup issues in the post, but Andrew Fitzgerald isn't the problem. He's a good player and actually made positive plays yesterday. Tony Crocker held his own defending the interior. Ryan Wright was decent and Gallon was great.

When are we going to have the post about our perimeter defenders not being ready to defend the three and not keeping their man in front of them. That's the problem that scares me the most. Especially when you struggle against weak guards. What's going to happen when we see the much quicker, better shooting guards? Oh well, I guess it's Tiny and Fitz's fault. Or Capel's fault for not going after Jahrid Famous.

Perhaps he is not ready to contribute? After a promising opener he is averaging 1 point and 0 rebounds over the last 2 games. He has only played a combined 14 minutes in those two games and has pretty much done nothing...

Fitz is comfortably in the top 1/3 of overall recruits that Capel has signed. No question about that.

When are we going to have the post about our perimeter defenders not being ready to defend the three and not keeping their man in front of them. That's the problem that scares me the most. Especially when you struggle against weak guards. What's going to happen when we see the much quicker, better shooting guards?

See my previous post. I agree.

Yeah, why does everybody assume "we" must match-up with "them"?

Because we are inexperiened playing a lot of freshman and any good team with experience knows how to take advantage of those situations. Teams had to adjust to Blake last year that didn't have to when he was a freshman.

Another body to help down low...but as much as i was impressed with his ability to run the court in the exhibition and first game, i can see he is not ready defensively to contribute...that is why Wright is getting the minutes...

Back