Are we the worst team in the big 12?

Why? He is in his 4th or 5th year? What coach gets a free pass in his 5th year at a program like Oklahoma?

I remember a lot of fans putting heat on Sampson his 5th year. But OU basketball then wasn't nearly as big as it is now. Back then we were pretty average in the regular season and were the last at large team in the NCAA. If we were left out I'm not sure if Sampson's job is nearly as secure as it was after that year. Of course that team went to the Sweet 16 and complete changed the program. We went to the Elite 8 last year we'll see how that helps us in recruiting, but unlike what happened back then we returned everyone from that Sweet 16 team the next year. We basically lost our entire team last year.

Why? He is in his 4th or 5th year? What coach gets a free pass in his 5th year at a program like Oklahoma?

Because up until this point he has improved the team every season after his first and we went to the Elite Eight last season. Blake Griffin being the main reason or not, Capel got him here and has had good recruiting. I don't mean free pass as in this won't get held against him, I just mean, he's not on the hot seat now.

Because up until this point he has improved the team every season after his first and we went to the Elite Eight last season. Blake Griffin being the main reason or not, Capel got him here and has had good recruiting. I don't mean free pass as in this won't get held against him, I just mean, he's not on the hot seat now.

Based off stars maybe he has recruited well but that hasn't shown at the college level. We don't have enough good college players on this roster. You can't recruit well and have bad college players at the same time. To me Capel messed up somewhere in recruiting and didn't get good basketball players that fits whatever he wants to do. Blake was so good he saved his butt. Capel needs to learn to redo his recruiting and recruit basketball players not stars.

Re: we are the worst team in the big 12

If OU finishes 12th, I don't know how that seat isnt hot this year. If you get blown out like this a handful of times that seat will get REALLY hot.

Losing close games is one thing, getting run out of the gym every night is another.

talk of firing jeff capel is not allowed on this message board...

Yes we are the worst team, I asked this about a month ago, because I thought we might be. Coach is not on the hot seat this year, but if we go something like 2-14, there is no doubt he would be under some heat next year.

Yes....worst team in the Big 12.

Quit talking about firing Capel. How knee-jerk is that.....

Yes....worst team in the Big 12.

Quit talking about firing Capel. How knee-jerk is that.....

I'm not going to say FIRE CAPEL! But he is part of the problem. Saying he's 100% in the clear for this entire thing is wrong too. He will tell you he's part of the entire problem. These aren't Kelvin's players going wrong.

I'm just hoping Capel minus Blake doesn't equal Quin Snyder

Capel brought this on himself. He wanted to have a guard oriented team, hence he wasn't that high on recruiting good post players for this years. A lot of the players he recruited are guards. He think that he could just win with a 4 guard line up. Bad Mistake, in Div-I you need at least 3 talented post to compete. Right now he has none (Gallon is decent but not very athletic).

Capel brought this on himself. He wanted to have a guard oriented team, hence he wasn't that high on recruiting good post players for this years. A lot of the players he recruited are guards. He think that he could just win with a 4 guard line up. Bad Mistake, in Div-I you need at least 3 talented post to compete. Right now he has none (Gallon is decent but not very athletic).

I think Gallon is athletic he just hasn't been a post player that long. Basically he's just learning to really play the game. He's been bad at times but really good at other times. Given time he's a guy that will be good. Fitz can play but he's still young. On a team full of guards those are really the only 2 guys I think are worth it from these freshmen.

Coach thought that Ryan Wright after 3 years will be good enough to be a starter. Well he is worst than first year Morris brothers. Talk about Capel ability to evaluate post players. His concentration on recruiting guards and his riding on the pine with Blake Griffin got him to this point. Don't blame it on players, he should blame it on himself. Kelvin Sampson with this amount of talent I think will definitely make the NCAA tournament because he get the most out of his players. Kelvin is a good defense X and O coach, but not Capel.

Coach thought that Ryan Wright after 3 years will be good enough to be a starter. Well he is worst than first year Morris brothers. Talk about Capel ability to evaluate post players. His concentration on recruiting guards and his riding on the pine with Blake Griffin got him to this point. Don't blame it on players, he should blame it on himself. Kelvin Sampson with this amount of talent I think will definitely make the NCAA tournament because he get the most out of his players. Kelvin is a good defense X and O coach, but not Capel.

Not with the issues this team is having. If Kelvin's coaching this team there's a few players that would be kicked off the team right now.

Not with the issues this team is having. If Kelvin's coaching this team there's a few players that would be kicked off the team right now.

No doubt about that. I couldn't even fathom what kind of stuff Kelvin would do to these guys if they were pulling this crap on him.

Back