Are you satisfied with the LNC in its current state?

Are you satisfied with the LNC in its current state?

• Yes, I am satisfied.

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • No, I am not satisfied.

Votes: 29 64.4%

• Total voters

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know this topic has been beaten to death in the past, but it is the offseason.

I'm guessing that with the state of the current economy, we're not likely to hear any talk about new renovations at the LNC for a while.

So my question to you guys is: Are you satisfied with the LNC in its current state or should the University continue to take action to make improvements?

And if you are not satisfied, what changes would you make?

Very satisfied...could it be better? Absolutely, but the main defects of the LNC really can't be remedied without a major renovation or a new arena altogether.

This year was a great example, when fans show up, the place rocks.

I think they should just keep renovating every few years to keep it up to date. I used to be on the new arena bandwagon, but there is really no point. Just keep everything updated and in great shape and its a great arena.

I either want to see a ribbon board and some luxory boxes or a new arena. I don't think the LNC can keep up without some major changes.

JMO

I think it is fine, for now. They might start looking into getting something major done in the future, but like abd said, just keep renovating the current building, and adding/redoing something each year.

I either want to see a ribbon board and some luxory boxes or a new arena. I don't think the LNC can keep up without some major changes.

JMO

+1 for the Ribbon board.

Luxury boxes would be cool, but I can't see that happening until OU gets a new arena...logistical nightmare. Personally, college basketball games are so short, a box doesn't do anything for me, I want to be close to the action. But, I'm probably in the minority.

+1 for the Ribbon board.

Luxury boxes would be cool, but I can't see that happening until OU gets a new arena...logistical nightmare. Personally, college basketball games are so short, a box doesn't do anything for me, I want to be close to the action. But, I'm probably in the minority.

I understand that and would never sit in a box at a hoops game either, but they would serve two huge functions:

1. Hopefully the football points crowd and the corporations that only show up to three games a year would buy these, and no one would be any wiser that they weren't there against popcorn state.

2. It would make our seating capacity smaller and put fans that will be loud closer to the court.

I am content with the building, but the way they police the seating and have the (nearly always no-show) donors seating behind the benches where the cameras are pointed is awful. Students and true fans that will actually fill the seats need to be given top priority and the basketball ticketing needs to have no bearing on how football tickets are handled!

They are ruining the live game experience with the way they treat the fans and the way they put advertising and big donor interests above the game itself in my opinion. At this point I would rather stay home and watch on TV and that is very sad to say.

If the court side seats aren't filled by the ten minute mark let others move down to fill them. They can always move or be moved if the ticket holders show up.

There are so many improvements to be made that have nothing to do with the venue at all and until those issues are resolved why bother to upgrade anything?

I am content with the building, but the way they police the seating and have the (nearly always no-show) donors seating behind the benches where the cameras are pointed is awful. Students and true fans that will actually fill the seats need to be given top priority and the basketball ticketing needs to have no bearing on how football tickets are handled!
They are ruining the live game experience with the way they treat the fans and the way they put advertising and big donor interests above the game itself in my opinion.
At this point I would rather stay home and watch on TV and that is very sad to say.

If the court side seats aren't filled by the ten minute mark let others move down to fill them. They can always move or be moved if the ticket holders show up.

There are so many improvements to be made that have nothing to do with the venue at all and until those issues are resolved why bother to upgrade anything?

Luckily, during college I was very well connected with the bolded section.

Do season ticket holder who sit behind the bench generally have more points than everyone else? Usually, but basketball is a completely different entity than football. Just because you have plush football seats does not mean you receive great seats for basketball, you pay for them with separate donations. The onus is on the fan to show up, because ultimately they are paying the full price (plus a hefty donation) for that seat. Find alternative ways to get them there, the OU Ticket Marketplace is a joke (I know from first hand experience), there are viable alternatives which could be assessed.

Do I think it sucks big boosters don't show up on a regular basis? Absolutely, but unfortunately, collegiate athletics is a big time business now, it's not the same as it was 15, even 10 years ago. That's why the next generation of AD's have MBA's or backgrounds in accounting and finance instead of just filling the void with a long time coach.

With that said, I do believe the department needs to make a move and allow fans to move down after the second TV timeout, the financial health needs to be taken care of, but at some point you have to throw a bone to the die hards.

Sorry...that's my rant for the day.

The people in the yellow shirts were much better about letting people move down to the lower bowl at the first media timeout last year.

Lloyd Noble is a multipurpose arena. OU needs a basketball field house. Even with the economy being bad, Joe C needs to be looking at the future and realize if OU needs a field house place like KU and Ostate have.

Lloyd Noble is a multipurpose arena. OU needs a basketball field house. Even with the economy being bad, Joe C needs to be looking at the future and realize if OU needs a field house place like KU and Ostate have.

Agreed....while LNC isn't a terrible areana it is now dated, is not state of the art for fan experience and does not maximize revenue for the basketball program. Given the economy this is not changing any time soon but Joe C. needs to start the planning on getting a basketball only facility on par with USC or Virginia.

Last edited:
It's fine for general events, but for a dedicated basketball arena it leaves a lot to be desired. From an architectural/construction viewpoint OU needs to start all over - it isn't such that it can be "redecorated".

If USC and Virginia can build a new place, is it too much to ask why cant OU? Has Joe C even looked at or explored the possibility of eventually replacing LNC? It is over twenty years old now.

If USC and Virginia can build a new place, is it too much to ask why cant OU? Has Joe C even looked at or explored the possibility of eventually replacing LNC? It is over twenty years old now.

I'm sure it has come up...arena was built in 1975.

Last edited:
With the "new" practice facilities, I don't see a new arena being built. You could completely gut the LNC. And build a new steeper seating arrangement. This would make for huge concourses underneath/behind the seats, which would be an added bonus.

The arena doesn't make the game experience. It is fans in the seats.

I voted no, I am not satisfied. That doesn't mean I can't live with the arena as it is, but I would really like to see something done. Whether it is ribbon boards, a new seating configuration, or the addition of suites, I just want something to be done.

Both of those arena's were completed before the current recession. I read an article today about the found of McAfee Software. A couple of years ago he was worth $100 Million. Today, he is worth $4 Million and selling things off because he needs cash. The big donations that are needed for a new arena won't be as frequent as they have been in the past few years.

It's a new era for sooner basketball, and i would love a new place or major upgrade. plenty has been done for the football team, now it's time to show:jcapel and his team some love.

Back