Best HS team in OK history?

kbsooner

Reaction score
Booker T in '95?

That BTW team had Marcus Hill (Tulsa), Etan Thomas (Cuse/NBA), Ryan Humphries(OU/ND/NBA), BJ Tiger(football at Oklahoma State) , RW McQuarters (football at Oklahoma State, NFL) and Brian Nicholls (basketball at Jackson State)...

Pure athleticism, for sure. I am biased bc we lost to them in the semis in '95, gave them a game had it to 4 pts I think under a minute, but we lost by 8. They crushed MWC in the finals, who we had beat 2 of 3.

I think De'mond may have been on the bench, but I don't think he was a baller. I can't find any historical roster data to see who all was on that '95 squad...

You must have been part of that Mustang team lead by Landon Williams, Joe Kennedy, and Trent Spencer.

BTW with Gilliam and Dumas and MWC with Sheldon Williams and Deangelo.

The 88 Millwood team with Terry Evans, Brian Hopgood, Joey Mickey and another stud guard were pretty good.....they beat some REALLLLY good teams that year.

I dont know about the best, but the 2004-2005 Southeast team with the Vealy brothers deserves serious consideration.. They went 79-2 in three years including two undefeated state championship seasons. I watched them beat Blake and Taylor Griffin (Oklahoma Christian) and Obi and Ekpe (Edmond Sante Fe) in the Tournament of Champions (which they won)...

Vealys senior team went 27-0 and they crushed BTW in the state championship for their second straight 5A championship.. (Marchello had 22 points, 17 rebounds, and 3 blocks in the title game). They ended the year ranked as the #14 high school team in the country. They were the only undefeated high school team in the nations top 25.

PCO team with CJ Henry, Marques Hayden, the Smith Bros., Burtchi, and Gibson were pretty good. Keith Clark and Xavier Henry had a pretty solid team as well.

Booker T in '95?

That BTW team had Marcus Hill (Tulsa), Etan Thomas (Cuse/NBA), Ryan Humphries(OU/ND/NBA), BJ Tiger(football at Oklahoma State) , RW McQuarters (football at Oklahoma State, NFL) and Brian Nicholls (basketball at Jackson State)...

Pure athleticism, for sure. I am biased bc we lost to them in the semis in '95, gave them a game had it to 4 pts I think under a minute, but we lost by 8. They crushed MWC in the finals, who we had beat 2 of 3.

I think De'mond may have been on the bench, but I don't think he was a baller. I can't find any historical roster data to see who all was on that '95 squad...

That was the best team I've seen, except for maybe the John Marshall team of the same year (or was it '96?). Tommy Griffin coached Joe Adkins, Tony Heard, Reggie Tate and DeAngelo Hamilton (was that his last name?)...they were pretty good too. That was a great couple of years for state hoops...Luton and Mike Woods were at Dell City, Landon and Joe were at Mustang, Yukon had their great run, Estell at Classen, Eric Perry was at PC...there was a whole lot of good ball in those 2-3 years.

That said, that TW team was freakin' ridiculously good. You just couldn't score on them inside...

I grew up watchin Shelden Williams and Deangelo at MWC and let me tell you, they were a joy to watch. A lot of people forget that current LA Dodger Matt Kemp was on that squad too.

I'm sorry, but all the other teams listed could not have beat those Booker T. teams of the mid-90s. They just toyed with people. What team could match up with their height. They had an NBA Center (Etan Thomas), an NBA power forward (Ryan Humphrey), a great college player with an NBA body at small forward (Marcus Hill), and extremely talented guards including R.W. McQuarters (NFL and OSU) in '95 and then Antonio Reed (TU elite 8 team) as a freshman in '96. I've seen some great teams in Oklahoma, but no team could physically match up with that Booker T. squad. And this is coming for a Memorial Charger.

I'm sorry, but all the other teams listed could not have beat those Booker T. teams of the mid-90s. They just toyed with people. What team could match up with their height. They had an NBA Center (Etan Thomas), an NBA power forward (Ryan Humphrey), a great college player with an NBA body at small forward (Marcus Hill), and extremely talented guards including R.W. McQuarters (NFL and OSU) in '95 and then Antonio Reed (TU elite 8 team) as a freshman in '96. I've seen some great teams in Oklahoma, but no team could physically match up with that Booker T. squad. And this is coming for a Memorial Charger.

Ageed, when we played them in 95, I think Ryan was a sophomore. I ran 6'4 and about 177lbs then, 2nd tallest on the squad, and I can tell you there was a lot of intimidation there. Actually, RW dominated us with his speed. They had us down 20 most of the game, but we starting raining 3's (our m.o. was to hit the high post and kick out to the wings.) and almost pulled a miracle comeback. They were pretty bad at the FTs, but I'm pretty sure it was RH that hit them when he needed to at the end. In the end they probably could have beat us pretty badly, definitely let up on the pedal.

Last edited:
It was a long time ago and I really don't know much about it, but I personally find it hard to believe that all of Wayman's HS teams (BTW) don't deserve serious consideration. Wayman was unstoppable as a freshman in college, I cannot even imagine what he did in HS as a junior and senior when he was not only better than everyone but also substantially bigger.
Wayman was the first ever freshman AA in college ball. Just imagine the domination that had to occur at the HS level.

Booker T in '95?

On a related note, Rodney Foster almost single handling won this game for Westmoore. Rodney never got the consideration he deserved for being such a great player. He had more range than Gravlee let him show.

My brothers and I all went to Westmoore.

I think that Smithville in early 80's with Anthony Phillips was one of the best small schools ever. Lost in the finals of the TofC to Midwest City i believe. May be wrong but believe they beat Tulsa BTW that year. Awesome small school team!

I think John Marshall could have given Booker T a run for their money due to their perimeter players but Booker T was just so freaking tough on the inside with Humphrey and Thomas. Deangelo McDaniel for JM was talented but he wasn't real tough inside, that team also had a kid named Michael Cooper who played DB for OSU.

I think one thing that JM could have done was forced Booker T out of their press and that would have made the game interesting for sure.

I graduated in '96 and it was one of the more talented classes in Oklahoma history. There was a ton of great talent all over the state.

One of the best games I've seen on the HS level was a summer league game between John Marshall and Carl Albert. Carl Albert had a 6'6 wing who was a D-1 player and another kid who could literally jump out of the gym, first guy I ever saw do a reverse 360. The final score with a running clock was 110-106. It was crazy.

The best teams I saw while in high school were the 01 and 02 MWC and PCO teams. I went to Putnam City and we were loaded those two years.

Marques Hayden, Kenny Smith, Keith Smith, Corey Smith, Jacob Burtchi, Matt Gibson, Dale Lamberth, and then CJ Henry joined the team in 2002 after Kenny graduated in 2001.

The starting five and the 6th man off those teams went to a D1 school for basketball.

Last edited:
I think John Marshall could have given Booker T a run for their money due to their perimeter players but Booker T was just so freaking tough on the inside with Humphrey and Thomas. Deangelo McDaniel for JM was talented but he wasn't real tough inside, that team also had a kid named Michael Cooper who played DB for OSU.

I think one thing that JM could have done was forced Booker T out of their press and that would have made the game interesting for sure.

I graduated in '96 and it was one of the more talented classes in Oklahoma history. There was a ton of great talent all over the state.

One of the best games I've seen on the HS level was a summer league game between John Marshall and Carl Albert. Carl Albert had a 6'6 wing who was a D-1 player and another kid who could literally jump out of the gym, first guy I ever saw do a reverse 360. The final score with a running clock was 110-106. It was crazy.

Even though those John Marshall teams had alot of Talent, I wouldn't consider them one of the best teams in OK. The BTW team with Hump and Etan is definetely in the discussion and they are a team from that era. I liked that John Marshall team and watched alot of them due to my close friend playing for one of their rivals, but to me they were a bunch of really good players, but no great player.

When it comes to small school ball, we played against a couple of great Beggs teams back in the mid-90's. They had Poo Williamson, Donald Carter and Junior Witaker and won a state title I believe. We actually hung with them for a half by some miracle, then they laid a total arse whooping on us in the second half.

Ageed, when we played them in 95, I think Ryan was a sophomore. I ran 6'4 and about 177lbs then, 2nd tallest on the squad, and I can tell you there was a lot of intimidation there. Actually, RW dominated us with his speed. They had us down 20 most of the game, but we starting raining 3's (our m.o. was to hit the high post and kick out to the wings.) and almost pulled a miracle comeback. They were pretty bad at the FTs, but I'm pretty sure it was RH that hit them when he needed to at the end. In the end they probably could have beat us pretty badly, definitely let up on the pedal.

wow that is some irony there

When it comes to small school ball, we played against a couple of great Beggs teams back in the mid-90's. They had Poo Williamson, Donald Carter and Junior Witaker and won a state title I believe. We actually hung with them for a half by some miracle, then they laid a total arse whooping on us in the second half.

I played against the Beggs team with Rod and Jerome Vaden. We lost on a last second bucket, but we were clearly better than they were. I talk to Rod often and he is as good a person as there can be. I wish he would get into coaching a little more.

Back