Best HS team in OK history?

I played on the Ardmore team that won in 93 and 94 and we were very solid with all 10 of our guys that touched the floor going on to play college ball, 4 Division 1 (1 in football) and the rest Juco or D2 or NAIA...

We were solid but dont have the name recognition of those BTW teams or the John Marshall teams...

We beat John Marshall in 94 by 20 to get to the title game when Adkins and those guys were sophomore, those guys were solid even as young as they were...hard to imagine how tough they would have been as seniors...

BTW would probable have to be up there as solid as they were from top to bottom, i know Derrick Taylor who we beat when he was at McClain ended up going to BTW and playing with Etan and company....he was pretty solid and played D1 but wasnt even close to being the #1 or #2 player on that squad...they were just freakin loaded...

Also watched Southeast come from behind to beat Ardmore when the Vealy brothers just took over...

lots to choose from...

I played on the Ardmore team that won in 93 and 94 and we were very solid with all 10 of our guys that touched the floor going on to play college ball, 4 Division 1 (1 in football) and the rest Juco or D2 or NAIA...

We were solid but dont have the name recognition of those BTW teams or the John Marshall teams...

We beat John Marshall in 94 by 20 to get to the title game when Adkins and those guys were sophomore, those guys were solid even as young as they were...hard to imagine how tough they would have been as seniors...

BTW would probable have to be up there as solid as they were from top to bottom, i know Derrick Taylor who we beat when he was at McClain ended up going to BTW and playing with Etan and company....he was pretty solid and played D1 but wasnt even close to being the #1 or #2 player on that squad...they were just freakin loaded...

Also watched Southeast come from behind to beat Ardmore when the Vealy brothers just took over...

lots to choose from...

That is amazing that you guys had all 10 guys go on to play some level of college ball. Just the fact that everyone was motivated enough to put in the effort to play college sports is impressive to me.

Even though those John Marshall teams had alot of Talent, I wouldn't consider them one of the best teams in OK. The BTW team with Hump and Etan is definetely in the discussion and they are a team from that era. I liked that John Marshall team and watched alot of them due to my close friend playing for one of their rivals, but to me they were a bunch of really good players, but no great player.

I don't know that I would say they didn't have any great players. Both Adkins and Heard were great HS players and both pretty good college players. The other thing about JM was they had the best coach in the state in Tommy Griffin. Much better coached than BTW, imo.

The Ardmore teams that EdmondSooner was on were loaded, I remember watching them on TV my sophomore year in HS when they were in the state championship. I think it was '94. They definitely could have held their own with just about any team.

That is amazing that you guys had all 10 guys go on to play some level of college ball. Just the fact that everyone was motivated enough to put in the effort to play college sports is impressive to me.

yea, not very often do you have that many guys that love the game to continue their careers at the next level...we had a special group of guys that focused on basketball, other than Taj Johnson no one on our teams those two years played football...

Probably even as impressive is each of the guys that played in college started at one point with their respective teams and several were very good college players...not just some token bench players...

I don't know that I would say they didn't have any great players. Both Adkins and Heard were great HS players and both pretty good college players. The other thing about JM was they had the best coach in the state in Tommy Griffin. Much better coached than BTW, imo.

The Ardmore teams that EdmondSooner was on were loaded, I remember watching them on TV my sophomore year in HS when they were in the state championship. I think it was '94. They definitely could have held their own with just about any team.

Adkins was a solid player. Obviously he went to OSU and was very good there, but in the scheme of the types of players Oklahoma had, he wouldn't be at the top. I had two guys on my team better than Adkins and we used to beat his tail every summer in the stillwater High school gym while at OSU. Heard actually is a guy who got better in College. I've know all of the Heards for years. His oldest brother Boo and youngest Andre. I really like him, but wouldn't consider him great. The most underated guy on that team was Herb Williamson. The most overrated was McDaniel. My Boy Sean Love and Willie Grissom were two OSU footballer on that squad, and Reggie Tate played their as well.

As far as Edmond and his two State tourney rings, I use to have to look at those every day. Especially the Black one with the A in the middle. Those two rings put my one to shame. Anytime you beat a Shea Seals, you get much respect from me. I see those Ardmore teams very similar to the John Marshall teams. Mike Moore, Allen, the kid that went to Tulane, you and your brother were all very solid players.

lots to choose from...

What year did Guthrie get you guys? 95?

Adkins was a solid player. Obviously he went to OSU and was very good there, but in the scheme of the types of players Oklahoma had, he wouldn't be at the top. I had two guys on my team better than Adkins and we used to beat his tail every summer in the stillwater High school gym while at OSU. Heard actually is a guy who got better in College. I've know all of the Heards for years. His oldest brother Boo and youngest Andre. I really like him, but wouldn't consider him great. The most underated guy on that team was Herb Williamson. The most overrated was McDaniel. My Boy Sean Love and Willie Grissom were two OSU footballer on that squad, and Reggie Tate played their as well.

As far as Edmond and his two State tourney rings, I use to have to look at those every day. Especially the Black one with the A in the middle. Those two rings put my one to shame. Anytime you beat a Shea Seals, you get much respect from me. I see those Ardmore teams very similar to the John Marshall teams. Mike Moore, Allen, the kid that went to Tulane, you and your brother were all very solid players.

I can see your point a little bit but it seems you're too close to the situation to give the proper respect to those guys. Joe Adkins was a GREAT HS player (as was Heard). There is a reason that Adkins had a ton of high major offers. I forgot about Love and Grissom, but along with Cooper they had a lot of high level athletes on that team.

I just think they were really well coached and had great chemistry. BTW was more of a shock and awe team and with RW and then Humphrey at the point of the press teams really struggled against them.

What HS did you play at DM?

What year did Guthrie get you guys? 95?

It was 95, i graduated in 94 so i didnt get to see that game...but i did hear it was something else...Ardmore was undefeated at the time and ranked nationally if i remember, that was a huge upset...

That was Derrick Moore, Kendra's older brother, who led those Ardmore teams. I still lived in the state when AHS took out Shea Seals' Tulsa McLain team in '93. As a fellow Ardmore alum, but not an ex-basketball player, I still remain (A) glad I got to see that game in person, and (B) glad the game didn't have 30 more seconds left on the clock when it finally ended. :woot

It was 95 in Tulsa. Roland Miller was off the hook in that game.

Yes he was. That Guthrie team was good, way better than Ardmore....or at least that is what I like tell my Ardmore friends to make them mad whenever it comes up.

The Guthrie teams in the early nineties were way better than the ones now. Coach Crooks just sucked.

New Lima about 1979?.
Class B school and the only one ever to win the Tournament of Champions.

As far as Beggs goes we played them my SR year in the Cascia Hall Coca-Cola Classic and that was when they had Vaden, Thompson and players like that.
Great team. We were tied up or only down 2 at half. They end up winning by double-figures. I believe they went undefeated in 3A that year and we were one of the closest games they had all year.
I got my picture in the Tulsa World's sports page from that game. Beggs coach (forgot him name) was pretty upset with them about having problems staying up with me. Good guy though. Talked with me some after the game.

Other good teams that I can remember Smithville, Hammon (with Ryan & Damon Minor), Boynton (especially with Scruggs and Belton), etc...
I'll remeber some more later...

It would be fun to split it into small and large school teams. One of the best small school teams I played against was Wewoka in '96. They were stacked. They won 3A in '95 and then got upset in '96 after going undefeated in the regular season (I think). I also played against a pretty strong Purcell team that won it in '94, I think they beat Hugo in the Finals that year. Our league was really tough for a small school league. We had Harrah, Piedmont, Anadarko, St. Marys, and Purcell. I think we had 3 or 4 schools from our league make state in 3A that year.

St. Mary's, had a guy named Keith Peoples who was an absolute beast.

St. Mary's, had a guy named Keith Peoples who was an absolute beast.

Yeah, he was gone when I played them. They had a kid named Gene something who was a stud at football and basketball. We called him Geno. They also had a big kid who was pretty talented as well.

The Guthrie teams in the early nineties were way better than the ones now. Coach Crooks just sucked.

True true. I graduated a few years after those guys but I can remember watching games that GHS routinely scored 85-95 points (that's a butt load in 32 mins). Dunks galore. Crooks just let them run around. What a tactician

Roland Miller, Carlos Duke (RIP), Santon Jones, Wesley Whitehorn

True true. I graduated a few years after those guys but I can remember watching games that GHS routinely scored 85-95 points (that's a butt load in 32 mins). Dunks galore. Crooks just let them run around. What a tactician

Roland Miller, Carlos Duke (RIP), Santon Jones, Wesley Whitehorn

Yeah, I remember the Big All City game in '94 (I think) with Miller and he played really well. I think it also had the kid from El Reno who could jump out of the gym and played at OCU (Aaron Howell??). It was a great game.

Back