Big 12 Rank em (11/18 edition)

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
First off, I am proud that the Big 12 has stumbled yet. I wouldn't have been crushed or anything if Memphis had beaten Kansas (I was cheering for the Tigers), but in the end, its good for the conference for the hawks to be good this year. I still think that we will get 6 or 7 in this year.

That said, who do you got after the first two weeks of the year?

1. Texas - I have bought into the hype. Damion is playing like a man on a mission, and Dex looks even better than last year. Rick will probably choke and make me look bad, but I am ok with that.

2. Kansas - Legit FF contender (as are the whorns). Xavier is the real deal. Collins and Aldrich look beastly. They need Tyshawn to play better (especially defensively).

3. Oklahoma - It's funny how down some of our fanbase is after two games. I am so impressed with the four freshmen, and think this team will be gelled and ready to go after a tough non-conference schedule. Willie is acting the part of leader, which is great to see.

4. Kansas State - It was good to see Judge do some good things in their last game. Kelly is a big body that is hitting the glass well for them. I think 3 and 4 are pretty interchangeable, but I like the fact that OU hosts KSU, so I think that gives the Sooners the nod.

5. Oklahoma State - Lots of depth at the guard spots. They need Shaw or Walker to be able to give them minutes, because it appears that Pilgrim is going to be foul prone. Anderson looks even better this year, and should be a Wooden finalist. I think the Cowboys will have a good year.

6. Iowa State - My sleeper dance pick from the conference has done nothing to make me think twice. I bet Craig Brackins does air fist pumps at night because now he finally has some talent around him. I am glad that the clones have to come to Norman this year.

7. Texas A&M - It was good to see Roland and Sloan step up and score some points for this team. I love the Ag's perimeter D, and that should be enough to keep them in games and land them the #7 spot (and hopefully a trip to the dance).

8 Mizzou - I moved them ahead of Baylor. That is more so based on Baylor not looking good then the Tigers really blowing me away. I am glad that Mizzou has to come to OU though, because they are still going to be really tough at home due to Anderson's style of play.

9. Baylor - It will be interesting to what happens when Tweety gets back. IF he has really improved, then I might move them back up. But man, talk about a two man team. Lace is throwing up a ton of forced shots in the limited action that I have watched. A lot of other guys are just standing around on offense and watching him. I hope he will take a page out of WWIII's book and use the double teams as a way to find open teammates. Epke looks to be the goods down low. I have not been impressed with any of the frosh yet.

10. Tech - This team might be the most dangerous bottom half team in the conference. OU will have to play well to beat them in Lubbock. I really like David Tairu.

11. Colorado - Going to be in most games again this year due to the system that they play. Added a couple of nice pieces to go with Higgins. Its just the wrong year to try and make a move in the Big 12.

12. Nebraska - Somebody has got to finish last. Doc just doesn't have the horses this year....

What say you?

I'd say that's about right. As far as our "new" fans, I wish the football team was doing better so that some of this nonsense wouldn't be happening on this board.

1.) Texas- They are loaded. I like them better than Kansas right now.

2.) Kansas- They are loaded. I like them slightly less than Texas right now.

3.) Kansas State- Love their guards, leadership. What seperates KSU from Oklahoma is they have experienced leadership. Clemente is a 5th year senior, Pullen is a 3 year starter, Curtis Kelley is a 4th year player, Sutton is a 3 year starter, etc. Samuels is a really good sophomore who started as a frosh last year too.

4.) Iowa State- What happens when you add two of the best newcomers in the conference (Dendy and Gilstrap) with the best shooter in the conference (Staiger) with the best player in the conference (Brackins)? Well, you get a good team. Staiger torched Drake yesterday with 10-16 from the 3pt line, 32 points. Talk about a shooter at 6'5''.

5.) Oklahoma State- A great deal of depth at the guard spots. Their young guys have more time to grow up because they have Anderson, Obi, and Page to carry the load. I think Pilgrims performance in the opener was the exception, not the rule. I expect he and Moses to be good together this year. Moses is a third year player, Pilgrim is older as well.

6.) Missouri- I love their team this year. They lost some important pieces but I think Bowers is going to be a great replacement in the post. JT Tiller, Zaire Taylor, Kim English, Laurence Bowers, and Keith Ramsey are a great core group of experienced players. Three seniors, and two sophomores who played a lot last year.

7.) Oklahoma- This is a 3 spot drop based on what I have seen this year. I dont know how this team will win consistently on the road, or beat the more experienced teams in the league regularly. I think they will have some GREAT games and then some BAD ones. I am hoping for 9-7 in the league. OU is going to be the only NCAA Tournament team from the Big 12 to rely on one super sophomore and 4 freshman so heavily.

8.) Texas Tech- Tech is going to be a dangerous team this year, especially at home. They are playing pretty well right now with some key pieces playing like crap. Okorie and Brad Reese are not shooting well but they will, and when they do Tech will be an explosive offensive team. Pat Knight has been praising Darko, who was BAD last year but the game slowed down for him and he has been very good at the power forward spot next to Singletary. Singletary is just a tough matchup, and Roberson is a veteran point guard now. Knight has said Tairu is the leader of the team as a first year juco player, he keeps saying he is the next Ronald Ross.

9.) Colorado- Most improved team in the conference, except maybe Iowa State. Their newcomers are the real deal. Cory Higgins is a 1st team caliber player, and new freshman Alec Burks will be in the top 5 for freshman of the year, and Relphorde is an interesting "point forward" player. He brings the ball up for them quite a bit, he is a great ball handler at 6'7''. If they can rebound they will beat some people. This team can shoot, pass, and they have enough talent to beat people with their system this year.

10.) Texas A&M- I dont like this team at all, but they play better defense than Baylor and dont have a guy who will shoot them out of games like Lace Dunn. They beat SMU by 10, and were fortunate to get more than 20 points out of Roland who is an atrocious offensive player.

11.) Baylor- Udoh sank a hail mary to save them from a really bad loss. This looks like the same Baylor to me. Good talent in spots, no discipline, bad defense, very poor shot selection, lots of losses.

12.) Nebraska- They let South Carolina Upstate hang around for awhile, and they are trying to break in lots of newcomers. It is almost impossible to rate them without their best player being eligible, Christian Standhardinger. If he comes in and plays like he did in Germany and in their exhibition games this could change. Lance Jeter seems to be a really good upgrade at point for them, but losing their starting center for the second straight year is tough. If he didnt blow his knee out, and if Standharding could play, this could be different. Doc will be ready to roll next year.

Last edited:
Bigabd how is your knee feeling?

1. Texas - I have bought into the hype. Damion is playing like a man on a mission, and Dex looks even better than last year. Rick will probably choke and make me look bad, but I am ok with that.

1.) Texas- They are loaded. I like them better than Kansas right now.

Uh, oh. Abd and BT actually agree on something. :) And I agree with them. Texas, barring injuries, will win the Big 12. The only other certainties for me at this point are Colorado finishing 10 or 11 and Nebraska finishing last.

Uh, oh. Abd and BT actually agree on something. :) And I agree with them. Texas, barring injuries, will win the Big 12. The only other certainties for me at this point are Colorado finishing 10 or 11 and Nebraska finishing last.

Well then we all agree that Nebraska will finish last as well. :)

Oklahoma at 7th? With 3 McDonalds AAs Crocker and Pledger? With Capel coaching them? With the most explosive player in the conference in Warren?

Kansas is a runaway at #1. OU and Texas will fight for 2nd. Everybody else is an afterthought.

Oklahoma at 7th? With 3 McDonalds AAs Crocker and Pledger? With Capel coaching them? With the most explosive player in the conference in Warren?

Kansas is a runaway at #1. OU and Texas will fight for 2nd. Everybody else is an afterthought.

This! Can't believe anyone actually believes the whorns could win the Big XII.

This will be one of those posts that is fun to look at later in the season.

OU is going to have some problems this year because of their youth, no matter how talented they are.

They may finish #3 in the league, but it's not like they should be grouped with Texas and Kansas "head and shoulders" above the rest of the league.

1) Kansas

2) Texas

3-12? that is all up for debate, at this point in the season there is no way to tell who will be playing well that time of the year, it's a possibility someone could move into the elite conversation but probably not...all the teams in this group have 1 thing in common, POTENTIAL!

This will be one of those posts that is fun to look at later in the season.

OU is going to have some problems this year because of their youth, no matter how talented they are.

They may finish #3 in the league, but it's not like they should be grouped with Texas and Kansas "head and shoulders" above the rest of the league.
Go read the NBA board, bocca's insight and predictions are best seen over there.

Kansas- Talent and experience in the backcourt and front court
Texas- Talented, but young. The quicker Mason hits the bench the better
OU- Much improved backcourt, but liabilities in certain situations at the post
OSU- Offensive ability. No PG options and still low post liability
ISU- Alot of new talent and best player. no depth.
KSU- One of the best guards in the country and added talent. Not enough
TT: Alot of good juco talent and nice young returning players
TAMU: Nice low post players, but average guards
Baylor: Talent at all positions, but sucky coach
MU: Lost alot of talent and no offensive juggernauts coming back
CU: Still suck
NU: Worst than CU and that's sad.

KU, Texas, OU, I don't care.

Please sticky this so we can all laugh at abd for saying this team will finish 7th.

You are predicting this team is no better or worse than the 03 team which is nuts IMO.

abd you know I like you but I think the move to Colorado has messed with your head or something.

KU, Texas, OU, I don't care.

Please sticky this so we can all laugh at abd for saying this team will finish 7th.

You are predicting this team is no better or worse than the 03 team which is nuts IMO.

abd you know I like you but I think the move to Colorado has messed with your head or something.

I will make sure to remember that he had us pegged at 7th. Just to make this clear, this is not a power poll. This is still a prediction poll. That is how I ranked them.

1. Kansas - all the tools, put together better than Texas and more experienced guards
2. Texas - deep, talented
3. OU - talented, young
4. OSU - good group of guards, Pilgrim looks like just what they needed
5. A&M - solid as usual
6. ISU - better group around Brackins this year
7. Kansas State - Judge not as good as I thought
8. Missouri - good system but no stud players, all average players
9. Texas Tech - average players with below average coach
10 Baylor - looking worse than I thought they'd be
11. Colorado - horrible last year. Slighty less horrible this year.
12. Nebraska - no talent

Kansas - all the tools and no clear weakness ..
texas - #2 but i can see problems coming .. they don't shoot outside well so they need jai to play well when he can in DEC .. they are a very very good team on D and as long as james plays inside they will be a force
#3 OU we have the best player in conf and at least the 3rd most talent
#4 Kstate
#5 ISU
#6 OSU
#7 MIzzou
#8 Baylor
#9 TAMU
#10 Tech
#11 Colorado
#12 Nebraska

Back