Big Ten, ACC, Pac-12 alliance ?

bearcreekfan

Reaction score
Interesting article by Dennis Dodd with a focus on a Big Ten, ACC, Pac-12 alliance, but also the end of the Big 12.

from the article: "...Who absorbs who doesn't really matter at this point. We're almost assured of dropping from 10 to nine FBS conferences. Ten years ago, realignment offered a step up for the likes TCU (Big 12) and Utah (Pac-12). This time, it threatens to thin the herd with the likes of Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Baylor no longer being major-conference members. Kansas could wind up playing basketball in the Mountain West..."

"The Big Ten, ACC and Pac-12 also give attention to sports beyond football, with each league averaging more than 22 different sports per campus; SEC schools average 19.9."

Wow...I'm sure sports #21 and #22 really enrich those university experiences.

Part of me wonders how good for the sport, or the fans, etc it is that individual schools have total control of this. For example, in the NFL, a team can't just work out an arrangement to leave a division and join another team. It's setup by the NFL itself.

Schools setup leagues and conferences in their own self-interest... not in the interest of the fans, the sport, the athletes, the local communities that feed them talent, etc.

Food for thought...

It's great to have a king if the king is great. The NCAA is not great. In fact, the NCAA is absolutely awful.

Part of me wonders how good for the sport, or the fans, etc it is that individual schools have total control of this. For example, in the NFL, a team can't just work out an arrangement to leave a division and join another team. It's setup by the NFL itself.

Schools setup leagues and conferences in their own self-interest... not in the interest of the fans, the sport, the athletes, the local communities that feed them talent, etc.

Food for thought...

That’s the way it’s always been. College athletics has been corrupt for a long time. Nobody can agree and everyone is out to get the best deal for themselves, not for the good of the sport or the fans. Once the TV money became so great, it’s made it 1000 times worse. None of this is for the good of the sport. However, I’d rather OU be in the best conference instead of swimming upstream against the current or on the outside looking in.

so this is a whole lot of nothing ...

legit just a PR presser ...

there is a "verbal" agreement for the 3 leagues to "work" together ..

so signed agreement .. or even any framework ...

so this is a whole lot of nothing ...

legit just a PR presser ...

there is a "verbal" agreement for the 3 leagues to "work" together ..

so signed agreement .. or even any framework ...

It was never going to have an impact on basketball.

I still think they'll work together to make football life a little tougher for the SEC. Be shocked if the playoffs were expanded any time soon (that hurts the SEC). Be interesting to see if OOC scheduling changes any. Probably not really.

It was never going to have an impact on basketball.

I still think they'll work together to make football life a little tougher for the SEC. Be shocked if the playoffs were expanded any time soon (that hurts the SEC). Be interesting to see if OOC scheduling changes any. Probably not really.

they are going to have early season and midyear mens and womens basketball games .. against eachother ..

so it does

not expanding the playoffs hurts the Pac and ACC far far more then the SEC ..

they are going to have early season and midyear mens and womens basketball games .. against eachother ..

so it does

not expanding the playoffs hurts the Pac and ACC far far more then the SEC ..

The basketball games only hurt the SEC if they are at the expense of scheduling games against the SEC. Like, if the SEC vs whomever challenge goes away. The other conferences playing some bball games against each other isn't a big deal.

Disagree on the Playoffs. Right now it's tough for two schools from the same conference to get in a 4 team playoff, UNLESS the champ from one of the other conferences is downright terrible. After the OU/UT move to the SEC, the SEC gets one spot, and the Big 12 spot that has been OU goes away, leaving what should be guaranteed spots for the ACC, Big 10, and PAC champs MOST years. All those conferences have to do is produce a 1 loss champion.

The basketball games only hurt the SEC if they are at the expense of scheduling games against the SEC. Like, if the SEC vs whomever challenge goes away. The other conferences playing some bball games against each other isn't a big deal.

Disagree on the Playoffs. Right now it's tough for two schools from the same conference to get in a 4 team playoff, UNLESS the champ from one of the other conferences is downright terrible. After the OU/UT move to the SEC, the SEC gets one spot, and the Big 12 spot that has been OU goes away, leaving what should be guaranteed spots for the ACC, Big 10, and PAC champs MOST years. All those conferences have to do is produce a 1 loss champion.

the SEC was not who was pushing for the playoff expansion in any way .

They should. Playoff expansion helps SEC, Pac12, & Group5 teams.
Playoff expansion pretty much helps everyone but maybe the SEC because it evens the odds for the field to win over an SEC team. SEC gets a huge advantage because it gets half the playoff spots right now almost guaranteed.

Playoff expansion pretty much helps everyone but maybe the SEC because it evens the odds for the field to win over an SEC team. SEC gets a huge advantage because it gets half the playoff spots right now almost guaranteed.

lol, I think your math is off.

In 7 years of the CFP, only ONCE has the SEC gotten two teams in.

Adding OU and UT isn't going to change that. All that does is likely open up a spot for another non-SEC team that has historically been "next in line".

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...ansion-2020-bracket/855qeqabnlyg1ihf930w9asgf

That is a projection of what a 12 team Playoff would have looked like last year. So in a 4 team Playoff, the SEC got 1/4 spots (25%). In the 12 team Playoff, they got 4/12 spots (33%). The other conferences would have lost ground as a whole, and individually. The expansion of the CFP helps the SEC more than anybody else (outside maybe the G5). Especially after adding OU/UT. THAT is why the other conferences will likely delay the expansion as long as they can. Even with OU/UT, and even with the Big 12 (post-OU/UT) not deserving a bid most years, I still think the SEC is a 1 bid league MOST years in a 4 team Playoff format.

Last edited:

4/12 is better than 1/4. I think it hurts the ACC the most because Clemson is the only one getting in that conference whether it be 4 teams or 68 (exaggeration).

I think it helps everyone. SEC would end up with three or four teams most years, but the other P5 schools would be assured of getting at least one team in, which hasn’t always been the case, and the group of 5 would also be represented. It helps some programs more than others, but every FBS will have a better chance of making an expanded playoff.

Back